Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   12 ga SS special, 20, & 28 on gunbroker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32581)

David C Porter 02-23-2021 04:25 PM

12 ga SS special, 20, & 28 on gunbroker

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892761396
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892763686
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892765688

Greg Baehman 03-08-2021 04:46 PM

In a follow-up to the above post . . . it's good to see that all three of these Parker Reproductions garnered some spirited bidding and sold at higher prices than what we've come to see as of late. All three were in high to near mint condition, albeit with single selective triggers. Do you think they would have realized even higher selling prices had they been equipped with double triggers? Do you think the single selective triggers were a positive or a negative regarding selling prices? How about the beavertail fore-ends?

In order of the above links:
* 12ga. DHE Steel Shot Special with a SG, BT, SST brought $5913.00
* 28ga. DHE SG, BT, SST sold for $8050.00
* 20ga. DHE having a PG, BT, SST sold for $4725.00

Bob Jurewicz 03-08-2021 05:02 PM

I have watched Parker Reproduction sales and pricing for a long long time now. I am of the belief that if compared, the price of two identical guns except for trigger, the double trigger gun would sell for more. Beavertail forends appear to have advantage over splinter. Straight stock has price advantage over pistol grip.
I believe our S/S interest has its roots in the vintage guns. To me the single trigger is an over/under configuration. I don't usually buy a side by side with single triggers unless it is something very special like a very nice 20 GA DHE, an A1 Special 20 GA Skeet upgrade by DelGrego and Runge or a rare 1 of 3 LC Smith 20 GA early grade 1E.
Bob Jurewicz

Bill Murphy 03-08-2021 07:10 PM

$8050 for a 26" single trigger 28 gauge Repro?? I just hit the PRINT button.

David Holes 03-08-2021 07:20 PM

Looks like 28s are a sound investment. Congrats to everyone who purchased one prior

Greg Baehman 03-08-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 328258)
$8050 for a 26" single trigger 28 gauge Repro?? I just hit the PRINT button.

You're right Bill. At eight thousand bucks we're now into real money territory -- well beyond shooter money.

Gary Laudermilch 03-08-2021 08:38 PM

I don't watch 28's closely but it seems a guy could buy one similarly equipped for considerably less. What is so remarkable about this gun that commanded that high a price? I think maybe somebody just gets caught up in the bidding process.

David Noble 03-08-2021 08:57 PM

On the SSS 12ga, the bidding from $5700 pretty much went back and forth between two bidders, so yeah, I think they got into a bidding war. At the end of the day, a gun is valued at what the highest bidder is willing to pay.

David C Porter 03-08-2021 09:22 PM

The guns were in as new condition & with the original boxes. When you keep them original & clean they usually get top $$. Also, good pictures & detailed descriptions help, too.

Bill Murphy 03-09-2021 07:10 AM

Actually, two bidders were willing to pay $8000 for the 26" 28 gauge.:rotf:

Bob Jurewicz 03-09-2021 08:41 AM

L-S&B is a big seller on GB. They advertize and promote their auctions. It pay off with good sale price results.
Bob Jurewicz

Greg Baehman 03-10-2021 11:33 AM

The 12ga. DHE Steel Shot Special that is one of the subjects in this thread carries S/N 12SS-00237 and is yet another example of a SSS model with a S/N of less than #350.

I've asked this before and haven't gotten a response, so I'll ask it again . . . have you seen, heard or know of a SSS that is stamped with the SS markings that has a S/N higher than 12SS-00350?

Bonus question . . . what is the earliest or lowest S/N of the SS factory-stamped guns?

Paul Brannon 03-10-2021 07:32 PM

I have SS 12-0064

Joel Hackett 05-19-2022 12:29 PM

Mine is SS 12-0194, straight grip, dual triggers, 28" barrels.

allen newell 05-19-2022 12:53 PM

David, my dad was in real estate and would say that a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Same holds true here..

John Allen 05-19-2022 03:39 PM

I ordered the SS marked guns when I worked for Jaegers. We placed an order for 350 guns. They all came through Jaegers which was a division of Dunns in Grand Junction,Tn at the time. They actually shipped 360 guns. We had them marked SS to differentiate our guns from standard production guns. We were so successful with the SS guns that Parker Repro came out with their own steel shot specials which are not SS marked. To my knowledge,all SS marked guns are less than 360 serial range.

Scott Gentry 05-19-2022 09:46 PM

SSS

Ask John about the lowest numbered SSS, I have shot it and it lives pretty close to him.

tom tutwiler 05-22-2022 06:55 AM

I bought a 28 gauge in excellent condition last year from the same dealer with double triggers and Q1 and Q2 chokes with a splinter. Price a tad less then 5 K. I think it would bring more money today.

Greg Baehman 05-22-2022 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Allen (Post 363978)
I ordered the SS marked guns when I worked for Jaegers. We placed an order for 350 guns. They all came through Jaegers which was a division of Dunns in Grand Junction,Tn at the time. They actually shipped 360 guns. We had them marked SS to differentiate our guns from standard production guns. We were so successful with the SS guns that Parker Repro came out with their own steel shot specials which are not SS marked. To my knowledge,all SS marked guns are less than 360 serial range.

Before others start believing that a standard production 12ga. Parker Reproduction DHE w/28" bbls., 3" chambers, factory choked IC/M get carried away thinking it's the same thing as a bonafide Steel Shot Special ought to consider a couple of important details that differentiate a Steel Shot Special from the standard production guns.

1. The Steel Shot Special has chrome lining through the choke area, the standard production guns do not.

2. The choke geometry is different in the Steel Shot Special. Reportedly the Steel Shot Special choke area is longer than the standard production guns.

* Another little detail I've observed is that a Steel Shot Special with the SS stamps as part of the serial number will, in nearly all cases, command a higher price on the secondary market than the standard production guns -- sometimes as much $2000 - $3000 more.

To my way of thinking a standard 12-ga. Repro DHE w/28" bbls., 3" chambers and choked IC/M is not a Steel Shot Special unless it also has "SS" factory stamps as part of the serial number. You're free to come up with a looser definition if you'd like, but that's mine.

"It's the itty-bitty details that make the big-big difference."

Gary Laudermilch 05-22-2022 05:44 PM

$2-3k difference is only a positive if you are selling. Supposedly all repros are steel shot safe or so the advertising suggested. The unstamped gun I shot this morning made a mess of targets and also doves when I used it for them. Collectors can care about the SSS serial number and that is great. At least this shooter could care less about the additional characters in the serial number.

Greg Baehman 06-11-2022 08:36 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this fella subscribes to a very loose definition of a Steel Shot Special. How about that ventilated rib, too? Buyer beware.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101967947

Brian Dudley 06-11-2022 09:20 AM

The installation of those sling swivels easily cuts the value of that gun in half, for most buyers.

Greg Baehman 06-11-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 365715)
The installation of those sling swivels easily cuts the value of that gun in half, for most buyers.

So that sounds similar to what happens when one grinds metal out their 28ga. Repro's luscious M/F chokes. :glug: :duck:

Karl Ferguson 06-11-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 365718)
So that sounds similar to what happens when one grinds metal out their 28ga. Repro's luscious M/F chokes. :glug: :duck:

Luscious is one word that never crossed my mind years ago when I thought about my Repro's 28 ga unrealistic M&F chokes... but after I had Briley open them up I can see now where luscious would describe them well :whistle:

edgarspencer 06-11-2022 03:41 PM

I'm surprised at you, Greg. You didn't go bonkers with the sling swivels.

edgarspencer 06-11-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 365715)

They never troubled me. Lots of plantation hunters required them.

Greg Baehman 06-11-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 365745)
I'm surprised at you, Greg. You didn't go bonkers with the sling swivels.

I don't know why you'd be surprised, Edgar. Sling swivels can be a very practical and useful item in many of the duck hunting situations I've done. Many times for many seasons we'd boat up or down Wisconsin's Wolf River to get to some of the potholes we'd hunt, tie the boat up to the river bank, hike through woods in the dark using flashlights carrying a bag of decoys, guns, etc. along with marsh skis that we'd use once getting to the boggy marshes and potholes where we'd set up. I used a slip-on sling for my double guns, but those slings or sling swivels were almost a necessity in those situations.

edgarspencer 06-11-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 365751)
I don't know why you'd be surprised, Edgar. Sling swivels can be a very practical and useful item in many of the duck hunting situation.

I was surprised that you didn’t criticize their installation, because you’re frequently critical of alterations, “dreamers” if I recall you called those who alter chokes. As to the practicality of sling swivels, I totally agree with you. Shocked aren’t you.
Very rarely do I give a rats ass about alterations to a gun I own. I’m not a flipper, overly concerned about exit value. That’s not to say I won’t sell a gun but I know what I like and usually know if something has been fussed with in a gun I’m considering. Between my dad and I, I dare say we’ve had over 100 Parkers but that goes back to 1935, when he sold his Model A (Ford) in order to buy a DHE 20 from the head nurse at the Troy NY hospital where he work while in college. He had a dozen before he even met my mother.

charlie cleveland 06-12-2022 10:33 AM

love those stories...charlie

allen newell 06-20-2022 05:01 PM

Edgar, you have a wonderful way with words. And a good sense of humor too

George M. Purtill 06-23-2022 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen newell (Post 366237)
Edgar, you have a wonderful way with words. And a good sense of humor too

Yes Edgar is very special.

edgarspencer 06-23-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George M. Purtill (Post 366401)
Yes Edgar is very special.

Short Bus Special?