Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Double Gun Journal -Sad News (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36997)

Russ Jackson 08-03-2022 08:18 AM

Has anyone been in contact with Daniel or Joanna to know if they are taking orders for the Volume III Index and Reader they hope to have out in Dec. ? I would hate to miss the last piece of my Double Gun Journal collection !

Harry Gietler 08-03-2022 08:30 AM

Double Gun Articles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 368913)
Everyone that was considering doing an article in DGJ that involves Parker guns, remember, you can still submit them to Parker Pages. Just sayin'. :corn:

How About All Articles on All Double Guns being Submitted to Parker Pages!

Harry

Dan Steingraber 08-03-2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 368959)
Expanding Parker Pages from its current 48 page format to something with more pages simply to include more advertisers would likely not be cost-effective.

Maybe our PGCA website could stand some “rolling” advertising???

My though was to expand the Parker Pages to include at least some of the DGJ contributors and defray the cost with additional advertisers. Of course, I have no knowledge of the financial workings of Parker Pages.
DS

Craig Budgeon 08-03-2022 10:43 AM

Class people that produced a very high quality publication that will be missed by a great many, Best of luck to the Cote's in any endeavor they choose to pursue.

Bill Murphy 08-03-2022 10:54 AM

Russ, the correspondence from Dan and Joanna includes a check box to display your interest in Volume 3 of the Index and Reader. They have promised to notify us if we check the box and return the document.

Victor Wasylyna 08-03-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 368948)
That’s not a very kind reflection of Daniel’s and Joanna’s dedicated work in providing the very best in the world publication on the classic guns we’re all passionate about Victor.

Dean:

The only reflection I made was on the Cotes' unwillingness to go digital. I wrote nothing about their dedication or quality of work, which were top shelf.

I subscribed to DGJ for many years, but last year I decided not to renew for lack of a digital option. I want the content in a format that is convenient for me, not the physical medium (as pretty as that physical medium was).

No doubt many folks around here insist on (even hoard) physical journals. But trust me, such folks are the outliers, not me. The digital age is here, it has been here for some time, and that is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future.

In an "adapt or die" world, the Cotes' chose to scuttle the ship rather than go digital. I think that is a shame.

-Victor

Greg Baehman 08-03-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Jackson (Post 368961)
Has anyone been in contact with Daniel or Joanna to know if they are taking orders for the Volume III Index and Reader they hope to have out in Dec. ? I would hate to miss the last piece of my Double Gun Journal collection !

Russ, I’m not sure that you noticed or not, but their note says they hope to have the Vol. III Index and Reader available by Christmas 2023 — not this coming December. Although I haven’t been in direct contact with them I would have to believe the availability of the Vol. III will be well advertised.

Russ Jackson 08-03-2022 02:39 PM

Thank you Greg ,what Bill posted about 3 posts up ! I missed the info I inquired about but there is a place on the card to ✅ if you want notified about the 2023 Index and Reader ! I called and spoke with Joanna because they had my name wrong on the card but according to Joanna you will be able to use your credit toward the New Index and Reader !

Dean Romig 08-03-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna (Post 368971)
Dean:

The only reflection I made was on the Cotes' unwillingness to go digital. I wrote nothing about their dedication or quality of work, which were top shelf.

I subscribed to DGJ for many years, but last year I decided not to renew for lack of a digital option. I want the content in a format that is convenient for me, not the physical medium (as pretty as that physical medium was).

No doubt many folks around here insist on (even hoard) physical journals. But trust me, such folks are the outliers, not me. The digital age is here, it has been here for some time, and that is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future.

In an "adapt or die" world, the Cotes' chose to scuttle the ship rather than go digital. I think that is a shame.

-Victor

Victor, our opinions of what the Cotes did, or didn't do, differ greatly.

I don't believe they chose to "scuttle the ship" because they knew full well that going digital (and they would not have thrown the baby {their long-time subscribers who want the paper magazine who enjoy and collect, not hoard, the DGJ} to the wolves) would simply have added another expense to their costs of publication. They held out, even in our failing economy, in the hope that the economy would turn around or al least come part way back... and it unfortunately hasn't. I commend them for being true to their subscribers, whom I do not believe are "outliers" but are in fact their bread and butter.

This "outlier" will always prefer the printed page rather than the impersonal flat screen of an electronic device. In fact, if DGJ had gone digital I most likely would have lost interest because I would feel forsaken.

It's okay to have differing opinions. :cheers:

Mills Morrison 08-03-2022 03:13 PM

Vinyl is making a comeback so you never know what the future may hold.

Austin J Hawthorne Jr. 08-03-2022 03:24 PM

I've been a long time subscriber myself and found a way to share the magazine with others that I could not have done via a digital format. Unless there was a series of articles, like those of Sherman Bells that I wanted to keep as reference material, I would take past issues to my doctors office as reading material in the waiting room. After a few months I would pick them back up again in well read condition. Whether, or not, that may have added a few new subscribers for the Cote's I do not know but I felt good doing it.

Garry L Gordon 08-03-2022 04:02 PM

I recognize that I'm an anachronism. I like old books and the times in which they were written, and I love old guns, especially Parkers, that conjure up a time long gone. I can read digital material, but I can't hold it, smell its charm, and experience its tactile appeal. Most of us here have a year or two on our track record. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found myself "being my parents." I'm okay with my current state, if not all that's going on in my current world. I'm sorry to see the DGJ go. It's yet another link to a past that, at least in my heart, still holds great appeal.

John Campbell 08-03-2022 04:15 PM

Worry not. And take solace in the fact that your printed back issues of DGJ will still be accessible, even when the solar panels and wind turbines break down and result in a power outage...

Arthur Shaffer 08-03-2022 04:24 PM

My aversion to digital is it's extreme limitations when doing research and trying to compare information from 4 or 5 sources at one time. It is easy to lay 4 or 5 books on a worktable, insert tabs and flip instantly to cross reference facts and information from all of them.Trying to do this electronically is painfully frustrating and cannot support the speed a lor of people work. To this day I have not seen a platform that supports this work style in a seamless manner. You can do it, but it is absolutely slower.

The last 10 ywears before retirement, I spent a major amount of time reviewing new technology as to concept, validity and potential for a major oil refiner. Speed was critical in some cases and there was a lot of management presure for then recommendation. Printed sources were always faster and easier to use,

Shawn Wayment 08-04-2022 09:06 AM

I got that notice yesterday and I'm completely bummed! That's all I can say!!

Richard Flanders 08-04-2022 09:33 PM

I can only surmise that the only reason a publication of that quality would go out of business is because the market just won't support it adequately any longer. THAT is what I find discouraging about the situation. Black guns, semi auto's and 870's are taking over the world apparently. It's us buyers that are going extinct.

tom tutwiler 08-05-2022 07:52 AM

Hopefully if nothing else this might reservice in some sort digital form. Cost of paper and mailing no doubt contributed to its demise and going the digital route would no doubt reduce operating expenses.

Dean Romig 08-05-2022 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom tutwiler (Post 369071)
Hopefully if nothing else this might reservice in some sort digital form. Cost of paper and mailing no doubt contributed to its demise and going the digital route would no doubt reduce operating expenses.

It would have reduced their expenses only if they had eliminated paper copy, which was not in their vocabulary, they being completely loyal to their paper-copy base of subscriber/customers, otherwise it would have added to their expenses.

But it was a great long run of education, enjoyment, and shared knowledge.

Alfred Houde 08-05-2022 09:15 AM

I will agree that YouTube is where it is at right now. But man, there is some real BS on some of those channels. Many of whom are not doing sportsman any favors.

Mills Morrison 08-05-2022 09:25 AM

I admire them for hanging it up rather than dropping the quality to appeal to the masses. A few other magazines that used to be great might as well be discontinued. Once it becomes glorified advertising, you lose me.

Michael Moffa 08-05-2022 08:43 PM

Would any other subscriber paid more for a subscription? I know I would have gone double the $45 for the best mag published bar none. The best part of DGJ was 4 times a year, in the mail would appear something to read that was not woke or politicized up. Go back and pick up a copy Scientific American circa 2005 and note the distinct slant to the latest agenda. Not in the DGJ and we were blessed for it. As too the digital version, I'd subscribe but not be happy and I'd probably print it out anyway.

Mike Koneski 08-06-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 368950)
But how much space will Parker Pages allow for the kind of article and illustrations we’re accustomed to seeing in DGJ?

I haven't read that many articles in DGJ that would not fit into PP. Some would need to be Part I and Part II, but most articles, especially on Parker specific guns would work into a single issue.

Mike Koneski 08-06-2022 11:57 AM

I would have paid more for my subscription to keep DGJ afloat and publishing their quality magazine. I'm not a fan of digital publications. I prefer to do my reading away from a computer and usually later in the evening. I too prefer to hold hard copies of books and magazines rather than fire up the desk-top.

Mike Koneski 08-06-2022 11:59 AM

Dean, if we have enough of an influx of articles for PP we can always add extra pages to the magazine. It will add to the overall cost of the publication, but we could adapt if need be. 48 pages is not chiseled in stone.

Richard Flanders 08-06-2022 12:42 PM

Now we're getting somewhere and thinking about a "solution"..... Keep going.... We're limited only by our collective imaginations....

Mills Morrison 09-21-2022 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used my credit and some extra to get the British Shotgun by David Baker DVD/CD. It arrived the other day. Pictured here

Garry L Gordon 09-21-2022 11:40 AM

I opted for one of their books, but I've not see it yet.

Phillip Carr 09-21-2022 01:58 PM

One of the best benefits for me is when I do remote hunts. Most of the time I do not have internet access. I realize I could probably down load before leaving home, but I enjoy laying around camp in the evenings and taking an afternoon break while catching up on my magazine subscriptions.
Further sitting in my blind seems to pass the time faster while waiting for a buck to show up and reading some great articles.

Bob Brown 09-21-2022 10:22 PM

Mills, is that Baker CD set a regular item on their site? I looked and couldn't find it. Or was that what they meant on their books chart at $75 for each of the three volumes? Thanks.

Mills Morrison 09-21-2022 10:40 PM

It is. Look at the ad which includes Parkers at the End of the Rainbow and Diggory Haddoke's video

Stan Hillis 09-22-2022 07:16 AM

My "fear", with digital subscriptions, is that it will be lost in the future, somehow. And, not being tech savvy I am not good at "saving" stuff for future reference. With a hardcopy magazine I can always dig back through them.

Even with the CDs, how long before they are obsolete and something new and better replaces them? I've got three gun related VHS cassettes that I haven't watched in twenty years. I need to get them transferred to CD, I guess. One is Nick Makinson's excellent video on disassembly and cleaning of the L C Smith shotgun, one is an interview with Carlos Hathcock, by Maj. John Plaster, and the other is by Plaster, on how he trained snipers.

Paper never goes out of style, IMO. I, too would have paid a price increase to keep the DGJ in business.

Bob Brown 09-22-2022 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 372300)
It is. Look at the ad which includes Parkers at the End of the Rainbow and Diggory Haddoke's video

Thank you, Mills.

Phil Yearout 09-22-2022 05:08 PM

I used my credit toward the Parker serialization book which I received today. I really didn't need it as I'm not really a collector but I already own most of the other stuff :).

Gary Carmichael Sr 09-23-2022 09:53 AM

Well I was glad to get an article in with the help of Steve Cambria, winter 2021, I have read all the articles in the last issue . I guess with DGJ gone I will read George Orwells 1984 again and follow the plight of Winston and Julia Gary

Mills Morrison 09-23-2022 11:20 AM

For all practical purposes, there is an infinite amount of books, magazines and other writings on old guns and hunting out there. I have been enjoying Michael Petrov's books which I found on here as well as some Steve Smith books, among a few others.

Jack Kuzepski 09-23-2022 02:17 PM

This might not be much and it is digital, but have you checked out Digory Haddokes web site? It is www.vintageguns.co.uk His web site has guns for sale and some of his other services but more importantly (at least to me) he has the vintage gun journal. It has articles on guns, gun makers, auctions, people, etc. He adds several new articles each month

Jim Thynne 09-26-2022 10:00 PM

Saddened by the news, Great magazine, great people!

John Cleveland 05-02-2023 11:18 PM

This may be a dead thread; however, I wanted to pass on that I just had a good experience with DJG. I wanted to find the Sherman Bell articles on testing loads in Damascus barrels. They determined which back issue had related articles, but stated that I would only be able to get them by purchasing complete back issues containing them. After looking at samples of the journal, I decided that would be an advantage, so I ordered each of the relevant full back issues.

They just arrived a little over a week ago, and I have not opened them all, but I am very happy with the ones I have, the purchase and the help from DJG.

Props to them.

timtommas 05-04-2023 10:49 AM

It's cool that they're planning on doing an Index & Reader Vol III in 2023. That'll be a nice way to look back on all the great content they've published over the years. Plus, it sounds like they're still going to be in the publishing game, just in a different capacity. Maybe they'll even start putting out some books on firearms! That'd be pretty rad.
Speaking of publishing, have you checked out any literary magazines for new writers lately? I know it's not the same as a gun journal, but there are some seriously awesome publications out there. Like, have you heard of The Paris Review or Tin House? They're both super legit. And if you're into sci-fi and fantasy, you should check out Clarkesworld or Lightspeed. They publish some seriously mind-blowing stuff.

Bill Murphy 05-04-2023 02:03 PM

I find it difficult to believe that the shortage of subscribers enters into Daniel's and Joanna's decision to pack it up. I feel that the difficulty in attracting writers is a bigger problem. I think that many writers have a wealth of information to contribute, but don't have the skills to do it. I have contributed several wonderful articles to various publications, but have required much help from friends and other experts to get past the difficulties of creating the article and entering the photography. I have dozens of articles in my head, but can't transfer them to the publishers without a lot of assistance. And I'm a young guy. Think of some of the old guys who never used a computer at work, or at home unless under the domain of their wives.