Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Double Gun Journal -Sad News (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36997)

Austin J Hawthorne Jr. 08-03-2022 03:24 PM

I've been a long time subscriber myself and found a way to share the magazine with others that I could not have done via a digital format. Unless there was a series of articles, like those of Sherman Bells that I wanted to keep as reference material, I would take past issues to my doctors office as reading material in the waiting room. After a few months I would pick them back up again in well read condition. Whether, or not, that may have added a few new subscribers for the Cote's I do not know but I felt good doing it.

Garry L Gordon 08-03-2022 04:02 PM

I recognize that I'm an anachronism. I like old books and the times in which they were written, and I love old guns, especially Parkers, that conjure up a time long gone. I can read digital material, but I can't hold it, smell its charm, and experience its tactile appeal. Most of us here have a year or two on our track record. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found myself "being my parents." I'm okay with my current state, if not all that's going on in my current world. I'm sorry to see the DGJ go. It's yet another link to a past that, at least in my heart, still holds great appeal.

John Campbell 08-03-2022 04:15 PM

Worry not. And take solace in the fact that your printed back issues of DGJ will still be accessible, even when the solar panels and wind turbines break down and result in a power outage...

Arthur Shaffer 08-03-2022 04:24 PM

My aversion to digital is it's extreme limitations when doing research and trying to compare information from 4 or 5 sources at one time. It is easy to lay 4 or 5 books on a worktable, insert tabs and flip instantly to cross reference facts and information from all of them.Trying to do this electronically is painfully frustrating and cannot support the speed a lor of people work. To this day I have not seen a platform that supports this work style in a seamless manner. You can do it, but it is absolutely slower.

The last 10 ywears before retirement, I spent a major amount of time reviewing new technology as to concept, validity and potential for a major oil refiner. Speed was critical in some cases and there was a lot of management presure for then recommendation. Printed sources were always faster and easier to use,

Shawn Wayment 08-04-2022 09:06 AM

I got that notice yesterday and I'm completely bummed! That's all I can say!!

Richard Flanders 08-04-2022 09:33 PM

I can only surmise that the only reason a publication of that quality would go out of business is because the market just won't support it adequately any longer. THAT is what I find discouraging about the situation. Black guns, semi auto's and 870's are taking over the world apparently. It's us buyers that are going extinct.

tom tutwiler 08-05-2022 07:52 AM

Hopefully if nothing else this might reservice in some sort digital form. Cost of paper and mailing no doubt contributed to its demise and going the digital route would no doubt reduce operating expenses.

Dean Romig 08-05-2022 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom tutwiler (Post 369071)
Hopefully if nothing else this might reservice in some sort digital form. Cost of paper and mailing no doubt contributed to its demise and going the digital route would no doubt reduce operating expenses.

It would have reduced their expenses only if they had eliminated paper copy, which was not in their vocabulary, they being completely loyal to their paper-copy base of subscriber/customers, otherwise it would have added to their expenses.

But it was a great long run of education, enjoyment, and shared knowledge.

Alfred Houde 08-05-2022 09:15 AM

I will agree that YouTube is where it is at right now. But man, there is some real BS on some of those channels. Many of whom are not doing sportsman any favors.

Mills Morrison 08-05-2022 09:25 AM

I admire them for hanging it up rather than dropping the quality to appeal to the masses. A few other magazines that used to be great might as well be discontinued. Once it becomes glorified advertising, you lose me.