Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Double Gun Journal -Sad News (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36997)

Russ Jackson 08-03-2022 08:18 AM

Has anyone been in contact with Daniel or Joanna to know if they are taking orders for the Volume III Index and Reader they hope to have out in Dec. ? I would hate to miss the last piece of my Double Gun Journal collection !

Harry Gietler 08-03-2022 08:30 AM

Double Gun Articles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 368913)
Everyone that was considering doing an article in DGJ that involves Parker guns, remember, you can still submit them to Parker Pages. Just sayin'. :corn:

How About All Articles on All Double Guns being Submitted to Parker Pages!

Harry

Dan Steingraber 08-03-2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 368959)
Expanding Parker Pages from its current 48 page format to something with more pages simply to include more advertisers would likely not be cost-effective.

Maybe our PGCA website could stand some “rolling” advertising???

My though was to expand the Parker Pages to include at least some of the DGJ contributors and defray the cost with additional advertisers. Of course, I have no knowledge of the financial workings of Parker Pages.
DS

Craig Budgeon 08-03-2022 10:43 AM

Class people that produced a very high quality publication that will be missed by a great many, Best of luck to the Cote's in any endeavor they choose to pursue.

Bill Murphy 08-03-2022 10:54 AM

Russ, the correspondence from Dan and Joanna includes a check box to display your interest in Volume 3 of the Index and Reader. They have promised to notify us if we check the box and return the document.

Victor Wasylyna 08-03-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 368948)
That’s not a very kind reflection of Daniel’s and Joanna’s dedicated work in providing the very best in the world publication on the classic guns we’re all passionate about Victor.

Dean:

The only reflection I made was on the Cotes' unwillingness to go digital. I wrote nothing about their dedication or quality of work, which were top shelf.

I subscribed to DGJ for many years, but last year I decided not to renew for lack of a digital option. I want the content in a format that is convenient for me, not the physical medium (as pretty as that physical medium was).

No doubt many folks around here insist on (even hoard) physical journals. But trust me, such folks are the outliers, not me. The digital age is here, it has been here for some time, and that is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future.

In an "adapt or die" world, the Cotes' chose to scuttle the ship rather than go digital. I think that is a shame.

-Victor

Greg Baehman 08-03-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Jackson (Post 368961)
Has anyone been in contact with Daniel or Joanna to know if they are taking orders for the Volume III Index and Reader they hope to have out in Dec. ? I would hate to miss the last piece of my Double Gun Journal collection !

Russ, I’m not sure that you noticed or not, but their note says they hope to have the Vol. III Index and Reader available by Christmas 2023 — not this coming December. Although I haven’t been in direct contact with them I would have to believe the availability of the Vol. III will be well advertised.

Russ Jackson 08-03-2022 02:39 PM

Thank you Greg ,what Bill posted about 3 posts up ! I missed the info I inquired about but there is a place on the card to ✅ if you want notified about the 2023 Index and Reader ! I called and spoke with Joanna because they had my name wrong on the card but according to Joanna you will be able to use your credit toward the New Index and Reader !

Dean Romig 08-03-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna (Post 368971)
Dean:

The only reflection I made was on the Cotes' unwillingness to go digital. I wrote nothing about their dedication or quality of work, which were top shelf.

I subscribed to DGJ for many years, but last year I decided not to renew for lack of a digital option. I want the content in a format that is convenient for me, not the physical medium (as pretty as that physical medium was).

No doubt many folks around here insist on (even hoard) physical journals. But trust me, such folks are the outliers, not me. The digital age is here, it has been here for some time, and that is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future.

In an "adapt or die" world, the Cotes' chose to scuttle the ship rather than go digital. I think that is a shame.

-Victor

Victor, our opinions of what the Cotes did, or didn't do, differ greatly.

I don't believe they chose to "scuttle the ship" because they knew full well that going digital (and they would not have thrown the baby {their long-time subscribers who want the paper magazine who enjoy and collect, not hoard, the DGJ} to the wolves) would simply have added another expense to their costs of publication. They held out, even in our failing economy, in the hope that the economy would turn around or al least come part way back... and it unfortunately hasn't. I commend them for being true to their subscribers, whom I do not believe are "outliers" but are in fact their bread and butter.

This "outlier" will always prefer the printed page rather than the impersonal flat screen of an electronic device. In fact, if DGJ had gone digital I most likely would have lost interest because I would feel forsaken.

It's okay to have differing opinions. :cheers:

Mills Morrison 08-03-2022 03:13 PM

Vinyl is making a comeback so you never know what the future may hold.