Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Let’s see some Lifters! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35039)

Stan Hoover 08-22-2022 05:10 PM

Stock Maker

Hello Joseph and Welcome,

There is a handful of good stock makers out there, our own Brian Dudley is a very accomplished stock maker.
If you give your approximate location, I believe we can make a recommendation on a stock maker that may be close to you to potentially make logistics easier.
The gentleman who restocked my 16 wishes to remain anonymous due to his workload being manageable.

Congratulations on your purchase, please share some pictures!

Stan

Joseph Salomon 08-22-2022 08:15 PM

here you go Stan

5 Attachment(s)
Hello and good evening Stan,
I appreciate your patience and advice on this shotgun. I am new to this and not even sure it is worth getting repaired? I hope that the pictures help everyone with my decision. Thanks again, I am near San Antonio, Texas

Brian Dudley 08-22-2022 08:43 PM

The gun is a grade 2 lifter in relatively poor condition. The stock had been broken at some time. And someone felt the need to fox what was not broken and add a very long piece of metal to the top tang to help hold the stock together or to help prevent future breakage. I have seen various examples of this many times before.

When it comes to that area and the wood, the only route to take is to reverse what was done and completely replace the wood. That alone would cost many times more than the gun is “worth” given its cosmetic condition. Add on top of that the other issues the gun may have, and well, you can figure it out from there.

It is a 4 frame 10g which is a little different. That would be a heavyweight 10g. The standard frame size for 10s was 3.

Joseph Salomon 08-22-2022 08:53 PM

Hello and good evening Mr. Dudley,
I greatly appreciate your advice on the gun, with that said what do you think I could even get for the shotgun from someone that could repair and not absorb the cost? I have 762 dollars in it now. Thanks again for your opinion on this.

Bill Murphy 08-23-2022 01:48 AM

A #4 frame gun is a scarce bird. Your first move should be to get a PGCA letter on the gun to see whether the first owner is an important shooter. A #4 frame gun is usually special ordered by someone who can be identified.

Phillip Carr 08-23-2022 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 369639)
Phil Carr, what can you tell us about the Baltimore Arms Co. gun in the background in your last picture?

Attachment 109210

Dave I just read your post right now. I did not realize the gun was in this picture. Kind of crazy.
I just sold this gun on the Fox forum this morning. Fell for a very rare rifle I had to have, so a few will need to go to another caretaker.
Like a Sultan on a budget I want them all but only a few are forever.

Joseph Salomon 08-23-2022 07:35 AM

Hello and good morning Mr. Murphy,
Thanks for the information. I will do that and see what comes back in the report. I really like the shotgun and their history, so thanks again.

Brian Dudley 08-23-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Salomon (Post 370192)
Hello and good evening Mr. Dudley,
I greatly appreciate your advice on the gun, with that said what do you think I could even get for the shotgun from someone that could repair and not absorb the cost? I have 762 dollars in it now. Thanks again for your opinion on this.

Less than $762

todd allen 08-23-2022 06:30 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here's one from 1874. Me and her have some history.
Attachment 109392

Attachment 109393

Attachment 109394

Attachment 109395

Attachment 109396
Attachment 109397

Stan Hoover 08-23-2022 06:38 PM

Oh my Todd,

That is beautiful!!