Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New to Parker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35361)

Rob Henry 01-26-2022 10:57 PM

New to Parker

4 Attachment(s)
So I became a Parker owner 10 years ago when I purchased one in a lot of 4 other "nothing" guns. I must admit my ignorance to such a fine gun. I'm just retired and finally have time to start researching it. It appears to be a Grade 1 and has a "P" on it yet not a "PH"? It has fluid "Parker Steel" barrels.
I'm also wondering about the checkering. It's nearly worn off on the stock yet doesn't appear to have had much. And none on the forearm. Is this normal? I'm thankful for this site and have already learned a lot just reading other threads.
Thank you

Attachment 103555

Attachment 103556

Attachment 103557

Attachment 103558

David Noble 01-27-2022 01:53 AM

Sir, that gun exudes character. That gun was used .....a lot. It earned it's keep. It worked hard for the man that owned it, and he in turn loved it.
If that gun could only talk...... I believe it would speak kindly of it's owner, and you could fill a book with it's tales.
You should be proud to own it.

Robert Brooks 01-27-2022 01:39 PM

Looks like a Ph grade. Bobby

Rob Henry 01-27-2022 01:55 PM

Thank you for the kind words. The gun belonged to a great uncle so it'll now be a family heirloom. I'm hoping to find now for some old family photos of post hunt that may have that gun in them.
I've read that although it has auto ejectors that many aren't marked PHE but this gun is only marked "P"? Is there anything unique about that?
Did some "P" guns not have checkering?

Steve Huffman 01-27-2022 02:05 PM

Rob your gun Looks to have ejectors PHE and the forend from what I see looks to of been checkered as I see the front of the froend latch but the rest is worn off I think . I would join the PGCA and order a letter on your gun if there is record of it go to the homepage and do a serial number search to see. The P is the grade H is for hammerless and E is for ejectors , You wont see the H or theE on the gun .

Jim Thynne 01-27-2022 02:43 PM

A Parker P Grade gin with Parker Steel Barrels is uncommon, The checkering was there at one time, and this gun shows the kind of wear a owner would have given it in many adventures. There are a number of people that are able to re-checker the gun, and it should be measured for wall thickness by a competent gunsmith. You have a very nice gun that can be used as is, or restored to factory original if you chose. Good shooting!!

Andrew Sacco 01-27-2022 02:50 PM

How many wild game dishes were provided by this gun? Back then it was simply called "dinner" and probably provided sustenance. What a gift you have, if it were mine I would have it looked at then left alone except for using it. She's beautiful. If you join the PGCA you'll be asked to pick whether you're a "collector" or "shooter". I would check "shooter" and get her warmed up again!

Rob Henry 01-27-2022 06:33 PM

Thank you gentlemen all soo much! I just joined PGCA as recommended and look forward to getting more data on this old beauty. While at Shot Show this year I attended the antique gun show at the Westgate. I met several fellas with many Parkers and got me fired up regarding my own.
As for shooting it I definitely would have it looked at first as it has a couple of dings in the barrels.
I'd also like to find out the shot shell length it's chambered for?
As to restore or not I had conflicting advise/views yet I'm leaning toward not as every mar tells a story of an old family hunt. Any thoughts apricated.
Thanks again to all from another now hooked on the lore of the Parkers!

Randy G Roberts 01-27-2022 07:53 PM

Welcome to the PGCA Rob. I see you are in CA. Member Dave Fjelline is in Lincoln CA and can evaluate your Parker for you if that is in your neighborhood. Good luck with it.

Jim Thynne 01-28-2022 09:37 AM

If you are in Northern or Central California Dave Fjelline is the guy to see, he is honest and will look this gun over. If you are in Sothern California I would be glad to look at the gun!