Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is the best firearm you ever owned? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36726)

Harryreed 06-24-2022 08:52 PM

What is the best firearm you ever owned?

I have been asked by younger generations several times. “What is the best firearm you ever had”? My answer is my father’s Winchester Model 97 Trap 2 barrel set. I prefer other guns now, but it is a worthy question. What is your favorite? Just curious.

Mills Morrison 06-24-2022 08:53 PM

The next one I get

Harryreed 06-24-2022 09:08 PM

So true!

Mike Franzen 06-24-2022 09:17 PM

I would have to say these Parker’s we write about and talk about all the time are the best guns I’ve ever owned. I get more enjoyment from them than any other gun. I have a couple guns with more sentimental value than my Parker’s but they don’t come close in actual value.

Mills Morrison 06-24-2022 09:18 PM

Seriously, probably my 20 gauge Trojan my wife gave me when we got married. I shot a lot of quail with it for about 10 years when it was my only quail gun effectively. Then I started collecting and it comes out only occasionally

Harryreed 06-24-2022 09:21 PM

Tradition is special!

Harryreed 06-24-2022 09:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did hunt with my nephrew and his black lab this winter, but I cannot claim any of the results.

Gary Laudermilch 06-24-2022 09:56 PM

Depends on the definition of best. I had a Purdey for a while that even though used a bunch still cost an insane amount of money. Turned out it was one of the worst I ever owned in terms of shootability but it certainly was best in terms of cost.

I have a Win 101 that was one of the first quality guns I owned. Shot damn near everything with it and I mean everything except a deer. I have well over 150 k rounds through it and only had to replace the firing pins once and that was because I fed it a steady diet of Alcan primers that pierced and eroded the tips. In those terms I would have rate it as one of my best.

However, the most dear to my heart is my first Parker repro 20 that quickly became my go-to grouse gun and has remained so for many a year. If I go grouse hunting without it I feel like I'm cheating on someone and should be looking behind my back. It just may be the best of the best.

Harryreed 06-24-2022 10:02 PM

I had my repro 20 on this last hunt. Can’t claim anything because my shooting skills are gone!

CraigThompson 06-24-2022 11:05 PM

I have about a dozen that fit that title . 12’s a couple 16’s a 20 a 28 and a couple 10’s . And as far as rifles are concerned I don’t know if I’ll live long enough to list all the rifles I’ve owned or own that I really liked .