Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stuck barrel selector (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36644)

Carole Riehl 06-14-2022 06:55 PM

Stuck barrel selector

I’m looking for some help. Bought a high condition 20 ga. VHE Skeet gun – screws look untouched, maybe 80+ % color, bores perfect, single trigger works fine (a bit heavy at ~ 4.5 lbs.) etc. - but has one problem, the barrel selector won’t move. Is this a common problem? Any advice for correcting?

Dean Romig 06-14-2022 07:24 PM

It's not common but not unheard of either. could be any of a few things causing it, from dried oil or lube... could be a screw in the lower tang over-tightened...

I would suggest sending the gun to someone Well-Versed in Parker single selective triggers. The wrong guy can ruin it forever!!

todd allen 06-15-2022 08:46 PM

Wait a minute. 4.5 lbs is a bit heavy?
BTW, I think Dean is probably correct on dried lubricant as the problem.

Keith Doty 06-15-2022 11:12 PM

I bought a 12 ga. VH a few years ago, safety wouldn't budge. Seller forgot to mention this. A single drop of Kano Kroil and overnight it worked perfectly. Old lube and a bit of dirt = cement. Might try that before the gunsmith path. Good advice from Dean, the wrong guy and it might never be right again.

Brian Dudley 06-16-2022 07:20 AM

It likely just needs a cleaning.

Carole Riehl 06-16-2022 09:42 AM

I thought about Kroil and suspect that will work, but don't wish to contribute to a future oil soaked wood problem. Probably best to find a competent smith and remove the stock first. I would not attempt that myself - remembering Larry Baer's word's about people like me working on Parker guns.
Re the trigger pulls, half the gun weight for the right tube and maybe a half pound more on the left is what I like. Attainable with the Parker SST, don't know, but it certainly is with a good 2 trigger sidelock
BTW, never used the forum before and haven't figured out how to "thank" yet, but thanks all

Daniel Carter 06-16-2022 10:22 AM

The ''thumb up'' in the lower right corner.

Russell E. Cleary 06-16-2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 365985)
The ''thumb up'' in the lower right corner.

Dan:

That is true.

But I found out the hard way that it will not appear on the lower right of a post you want to thank someone for unless you have posted on the Forum first

I must have gone a year trying to thank people, getting email advise from members as to where I should be seeing the thumbs-up symbol, but not having said anything yet, it wasn't there.

Probably a very little-known fact about the Forum.

I have made up for my early reticence since then.

Daniel Carter 06-16-2022 09:16 PM

Thank you, i did not know that.Now that the gentleman has made 1 post it should be available to him.

Daryl Corona 06-16-2022 10:20 PM

I know people will flame out with this but place a drop or two of WD40 along the edge of the safety and it will wick it's way where it's needed. If you can get some Ballistol, even better.