Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   its time (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2127)

charlie cleveland 07-13-2010 07:54 PM

its time

its time to start getting ready for the fall hunt. i started bushhogging today will have to put disk on in a few days. will be putting outa few plots for the deer hope this will attract a few doves. dove crop looks good here and deer herdslook ok. charlie

Russ Jackson 07-13-2010 08:47 PM

HI Charlie ,Hey ,are you going to use that little GH 20 on those Dove , it ought to be " BAD MEDICINE " on them !!!!!! :cool: Russ

charlie cleveland 07-14-2010 04:55 PM

yes sir ree im gona use that little 20 ga parker on those doves. ive loaded up some light loads of no 8 s for them doves. should be a good year i bushed hogged all day. thanks again russ for a swell gun. charlie

calvin humburg 07-15-2010 06:46 AM

whens your dove season open charlie. it opens here sept. 1 hopefully we wont have a cool spell and they all bug out. don't tell but i'm going to use my new 10 jest got to shoot it. ch

charlie cleveland 07-15-2010 07:32 PM

our season opens sept. 1 also. i have also used the mighty ten on doves hope you kill a sackful with your ten ga. calven. i disked up part of my field today. planted wheat for deer and what ever critter that comes along. boy its hot here in old miss. hope it s better on opening day. charlie

Fred Preston 07-15-2010 10:19 PM

Charlie, It's been pretty hot here too, but things are looking up. The end of April I set fire to my ten year old 30 acre field of switch an other crap (my CRP contract had expired). I called the Polk volunteers first and they told me to go ahead and if they got a call they wouldn't respond unless it was from me. I had my Rhino with a barrel of water and a bucket and a broom and the field is bordered by 20' of green cool season grass. The wind was about 4 mph out of the ESE so I started on the west end with the Zippo and moved east a couple 100 yards and worked it again. When I was about 3/4 done, I thought I better check the perimeter; it was really cooking by then (little tornadic flames 40-50 feet in the air). Well, on the NW side it had jumped the cool season line and was headed through the dry leaves and dead wood into the hollow. I went to work the the broom and the bucket but it was gaining on me and in the steep hollow, being old an out of shape, I called 911 and asked the dispatcher to send their 1 ton 4WD with the 600 gallon tank and 150 foot hose. Well, Cap't Carl showed up first in his SUV with the Sheriff's star on it with 2 little extinguisers, one empty and the other half full. He got on the radio and called in the troops. Anyway it turned into a 3 alarm deal with Polk, New Pittsburg and Jeromesville responding. The result was that one of the units I asked for solved the problem, but the others had to do something so they proceeded to put out the parts I wanted to burn. Anyway, I got 90% of it done and the field looked like it had been napalmed, showing a lot of ant hills. Two and a half months later the switch grass is back, head high and thick; and a lot of crud (multiflora, briars) is gone, at least temporarily. Most of my friends don't like hunting the switch on my place (I guess they'd rather work their dogs on a golf course); but if they put a beeper on their pointer or put their shoulder to the cover and kept with their flusher, they'd get their game and the dogs don't mind at all.
Charlie, I also put out a couple of food plots in the field. I used the bucket on the tractor to push up a dike in a couple of drainages to make a water puddle in the center. When it rains, it works; when it's doesn't, it's dry. We'll se if that helps. The seed has been in the ground for a month and a half; the sunflowers are ready to bloom, the sorgum is starting to head out and the corn is knee high. I hope it attracts a few doves in a couple months.

Fred (Francis, how'm I doin')

James Brown 07-20-2010 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The "little dove field behind the house" is coming along. Millet has topped out and the sunflowers are getting there.

Dave Suponski 07-20-2010 11:40 AM

James, What wonderful picture! Please enter it in the "Parker of the Month" contest...:)

Dean Romig 07-20-2010 12:21 PM

Great picture James!

It seems you have more than one .410
That one has a lot of original condition - very pretty!

James Brown 07-20-2010 04:28 PM

Mr. Suponski: Thanks, I'll enter it, although I'm a little confused as to which month the contest is for.
Mr. Romig: Thanks also, I'm down to the one you see. My other two now reside elsewhere, the upside being I got tuition covered. The case color is not that bright with gun in hand, must be the morning light.
James