Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Back on line (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36299)

Frank Srebro 05-01-2022 08:33 PM

Back on line

2 Attachment(s)
Some months ago and after plenty of talk back and forth I made a good deal on a VHE 32" double trap gun with non-working ejectors including one that would bind up and make bad noises when the dry fired gun was opened. Despite mucho advice to stay away from broken Parker ejectors I figured I could repair and learn all about them in the process. And learn I did! As many know, ejector parts are almost impossible to find and I ended up making a new toggle block (cocking toggle), a new two-pronged sear spring, and microwelding and remachining the shoulder on the joint block (joint roll) that engages the rear end of the levers (floating sears) to trip the ejectors. All that along with fitting new floating sears which I got from a kind gent. The original ejector hammers just needed a touch on the mill and were re-used.

I also learned this gun was owned by a noted trap shooter and sportsman in Iowa, a contemporary of Joe Kautzky, and in 1916 he had Parker retrofit the 32" Titanic barrels from a earlier DHE to make up this VHE. That DHE, in turn, was fitted with 34" tubes. The Titanic barrels were renumbered to the new VHE frame by Parker.

I just finished up the ejectors this week and fired 106 shots today at Rock Mountain with perfect ejector functioning, mostly both barrels but some singles to verify each barrel ejector was working independently.

I'll be doing an article for publication on this Parker and its original owner and so these are all the details I want to share right now. Kind of a salute to the original owner, some of the shells I fired today were vintage Remington paper trap loads. :)

Second pic shows a very well fitted plug in the safety button slot.

Mike Koneski 05-01-2022 08:41 PM

Having handled that gun I can say it is a beautiful specimen and Frank did a heck of a job bringing it back into service. We’ll done Frank!

CraigThompson 05-01-2022 09:03 PM

Frank are you going to have the gun at Hausemann's ?

I'd love to see it !

I'll be bringing the vent rib VHE trap I recently acquired as well as 12 and 16 VHE skeet guns with the bells and whistles .

Never realized until recently how deep my early target shotgun roots went . Thought the skeet/trap thing was out of my system :banghead:

Frank Srebro 05-01-2022 09:04 PM

Yes Craig, I'll be shooting her at Hausmann's. I'd to see yours too.

CraigThompson 05-01-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Srebro (Post 362821)
Yes Craig, I'll be shooting her at Hausmann's. I'd to see yours too.

As I'm sure you assumed it won't be difficult to see anything I bring :rotf:

CraigThompson 05-01-2022 09:20 PM

I'm planning on bringing a SC 34" I acquired in the last three or four months . Which reminds me I've not shot it yet .

Well that is if yawl have the SBT event at the Bo-Whoop tent !

Dean Romig 05-02-2022 08:38 AM

Nice work Frank! You are one talented individual - Congratulations.

I hope we'll be seeing your article in Parker Pages rather than DGJ.

charlie cleveland 05-02-2022 10:18 AM

your the man....charlie

Frank Srebro 05-02-2022 01:27 PM

Thanks everyone. Dean, fyi I committed an article to the DGJ editors some weeks ago.

Mike Franzen 05-05-2022 04:45 AM

That’s great work Frank. Looking forward to seeing you and your guns at Hausmans!