Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   28 ga Wild Quail (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35206)

John Marscher 01-10-2022 07:55 AM

28 ga Wild Quail

3 Attachment(s)
The pup just turned a year old and our goal for his first season was to find wild quail in South Carolina. Not an easy task these days. Lots of walking was needed.

Attachment 103127

Attachment 103128

Attachment 103129

David Penland 01-10-2022 08:12 AM

How much is a lot of walking? Congratulations by the way! My son lived in Charleston while attending school and only stumbled on 2 coveys over the course of six years.

Stan Hillis 01-10-2022 08:35 AM

Well done, John!

We still find wild birds "across the river" from SC, from time to time. I stumble into them often while farming here, and we occasionally get into them while "wood cocking". That backdrop looks so much like home.

John Marscher 01-10-2022 08:36 AM

I did just over 12 miles and the dog was at 32 miles when we got back to the truck.

Garry L Gordon 01-10-2022 09:25 AM

Wild Bobs are trophy birds, indeed. Congratulations on finding them, and on hunting hard to do so. And take good care of those coveys! They will feed your soul longer than they will your belly.

Andrew Sacco 01-10-2022 09:44 AM

Where is the best place in the US for wild quail? Bobwhites specifically? Bucket list. I'm just glad I got in some great Atlantic Salmon fishing 25 years ago at affordable prices. Hope i'm not late to the quail party in my lifetime.

John Marscher 01-10-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 352615)
Wild Bobs are trophy birds, indeed. Congratulations on finding them, and on hunting hard to do so. And take good care of those coveys! They will feed your soul longer than they will your belly.

While I only took one or two out of each covey and didn't chase singles, these are on public land and I wont be able to ensure their safety.

Reggie Bishop 01-10-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 352618)
Where is the best place in the US for wild quail? Bobwhites specifically? Bucket list. I'm just glad I got in some great Atlantic Salmon fishing 25 years ago at affordable prices. Hope i'm not late to the quail party in my lifetime.

Middle section of the US is probably about as specific answer as you will get! Texas still has a lot of wild birds. Kansas is often spoken of. Finding the specific spots will take some research and "mining".

Andrew Sacco 01-10-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop (Post 352655)
Middle section of the US is probably about as specific answer as you will get! Texas still has a lot of wild birds. Kansas is often spoken of. Finding the specific spots will take some research and "mining".

I guess I always pictured dudes on a carriage with horses while smoking pipes and moss covered trees followed by a big supper in a big white plantation style house and lots of Southern hospitality : { I guess they do what they do out west with Pheasants. "Supplemental" birds, they don't call them stocked.

Reggie Bishop 01-10-2022 11:56 AM

You can still do those kind of hunts in South Georgia. But the birds will be pen raised/released birds. There may be a "plantation hunt" somewhere in the South that does have some wild birds that they supplement with pen raised. But in general, they all have pen raised birds.