Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rotometals bismuth T (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39226)

Milton C Starr 05-19-2023 10:35 PM

Rotometals bismuth T

5 Attachment(s)
I saw rotometals was selling limited quanties of bismuth Ts, I had planned to eventually buy a mold and cast some to test. Though I dont have the time for that right now and the mold is $200 or so. I figured these small 1lb bags would be good for testing in the 8 and 10 gauge.

A lead T weighs 16grs according to my scale or about that given a little variance. The Bismuth T weighs 10grs and a steel T is 8.4grs according to Ballistic products. Looking at the math for 50 yards here are the numbers I came up with.

Steel T 50 yards - 1500 fps muzzle velocity.
746fps 10ft/lbs

Bismuth T 50 yards - 1200 fps muzzle velocity.
739fps 12ft/lbs

The difference in loading the bismuth vs lead for the 8 gauge is 2 1/4oz of bismuth takes 1/8" less felt wadding to get the same roll crimp height. I am planning on having these tested, I would like to see if I can develop a reasonable pressure bismuth load with buffer.

charlie cleveland 05-20-2023 09:44 AM

nice looking load this should do well on a hog....charlie

Milton C Starr 05-22-2023 12:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Charlie I got out to the range today, shot the bismuth my felt wads and the paper 8 gauge hulls.

I noticed the felt wads don't really leave any powder blow back left on the case head. Which makes me believe they seal better than the fiber or plastic wads in my bores. The paper 8 gauge hulls are pretty fun to fire though I think you'd only get 2-3 loads out of them at most. The bismuth didn't seem to fracture and the pellets held up fine. I could see the felt wad separates from the shot column about 20ft from the muzzle. The loads looked to hit the target with some authority because it kept falling over lol. I had to go early before it got too hot outside, as well I love the smell of bluedot in the morning. These aren't waxed paper but they do have a unique smell, almost identical to a box of crayons.

I am going back to the range next weekend to do some more patterning testing.

charlie cleveland 05-22-2023 01:16 PM

looks real good to me and thanks.....charlie

Milton C Starr 05-22-2023 02:46 PM

Charlie I find the best paper to use for patterning shotguns and sighting in rifles is the bright green paper the Dollar General sales. It's real easy to see hits on it, think this weekend I'll do some 25 yard patterns for raccoon loads. I may make more shotcups to pattern at 60 yards. Last time they were just beginning to open up at 40 yards. I really need to take the 10 gauges out one of these days.

charlie cleveland 05-24-2023 08:11 PM

those shotcup loads would make fine turkey loads for sure....tell us more about making the shot cup ....charlie

Milton C Starr 05-24-2023 11:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I use my digital caliper to measure how long the shot column is in the clear Winchester hull, I add the thickness of a 10 gauge nitro card to the measurement. I cut a piece of 10 gauge hull that length and glue in a nitro card in the bottom and presto a 8 gauge plastic shotcup. A 10 gauge hull has close dimensions to a 8 gauge sp8 wad from what I can see, you get a shotcup that fully encapsulates the shot as well. They patterned too tight at 40 yards, I havnt had time to make more but if I remember I will before this weekend and test at 60 yards.

I got my roll crimper in today from Reloaders Network, I decided to test in on the Winchesters and paper hulls. I got to dig out my imperial wax as this roll crimper doesnt like the same dry lube I use on the BPI one. Not bad for a first run though I think.

charlie cleveland 05-25-2023 04:22 PM

looking good....I ve got to try this type of was in my old 8 ga...waiting for the 60 yard test....charlie