Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1st year Double D's (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37864)

William Maynard 11-27-2022 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Many thanks for taking the time to help in this Lifter's Identity. I have enclosed a clear picture of the barrel flats. Looks to be an "L" possibly engraved.

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 08:06 AM

The barrels are clearly Damascus and the letter stamped in that location is in reference to the barrel steel. An L would be for Laminated Steel barrels so it shouldn’t be an L but ought to be a D.

Unless I’m not seeing correctly, it looks like other stamps have been ground out with a very small grinding wheel…. Please tell me I’m wrong…

I have a 4-digit 10-gauge D Lifter with Damascus barrels that I’ll get out of the safe and compare and post pictures here.

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This my 10-gauge 3-frame Damascus Grade-3 (D) Lifter no. 5949.
This gun has typical engraving, D-grade bolster sculpting, drop points and checkering of the period.

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 08:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Serial number and top rib legend…

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 08:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Barrel flats showing the D for the barrel steel, the pre-struck barrel weight of 4 lbs., 10 oz., the 4-digit order number and the 3 above it indicating the grade of the gun.

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 08:48 AM

Please note the lbs. stamp on my barrels of 4 - Parker Bros used that chipped die for over a decade and I suspect the die for your ‘D’ may have become chipped right at the 2 o’clock position on the D’s bow… ?

William Maynard 11-28-2022 09:02 AM

The barrels a definitely Damascus and that very well could be a "D". On the end of the lug it looks like there could be some light grinding mark's. There is no serial number on the end of the trigger guard ???

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 09:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
How about a serial number on the side of the barrel lug?

Here are two pictures of another D Lifter I have but with the Parker-made Laminated Steel barrels, hence the P in the location for barrel steel stamp.

Also note the two different 4 dies used, each with a chipped section.

William Maynard 11-28-2022 09:41 AM

I am not home at the moment but when I get there I will take a look. I am pretty sure I looked on the sides of the lug and did not see a number. I see were you are going. Maybe the barrels were replaced??? How about the serial number not appearing on the trigger guard, is something you have run into before ?

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 09:59 AM

No, I don’t believe the barrels were replaced but rather believe some previous owner and uninformed individual thought tha stamps were conflicting somehow, so he removed them… maybe?

And I believe your Parker is a very nice, very special high grade Parker and is nothing to be ashamed of.