Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UP Trip (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31379)

Harold Lee Pickens 10-14-2020 09:57 PM

UP Trip

Leaving tomorrow for 17 days in the UP after grouse and woodcock. No internet at the cabin, but hopefully can post some reports and pictures on the phone, although pictures always seem to come out upside down. The little VHE 20 comes along as the #1 gun . Just finished playing the "song for hunting widows" for my wife, the old standard " Autumn Leaves", on my little classical guitar(it's coming also)--google Eva Cassiday's version, just beautiful.

Brett Hoop 10-14-2020 10:25 PM

Harold

Have a safe trip. It looks like I may have to take the Grey Phase 4Runner. Today 8 days after putting on a new serpentine belt just as a maintenance item it shredded. All the pulleys are loose and no sound, tension idler seems fine, new Gates belt, just have to see what I think after sleeping on it.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-15-2020 05:36 AM

Holy crap Brett, you got to get those black clouds out from over you, man I hope all works out. I'll call you from the road

Kenny Graft 10-15-2020 05:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Brett....time for a new 4RUNNER....(-: Call it a emergency buss and write her off! Mine is about ready for the U.P. We head out Friday and plan to stay along the way one night. Arrive in Felch Saturday for a week of Grouse hunt-in. Will use the new to me Purdey 16, My CSMC Fox XE-16 and That real sweet Fox A-grade-16 with the killer English stock you like. See pics...
4Runner ready for this trip the U.P.
2019 hunting in the rain, U.P.
Purdey top gun in the picture, Bottom Ugartechea 257 Spl-grade 16 28"
Little Philly Fox A-16 5lbs-14oz 28" tubes....sweet!

Brett Hoop 10-15-2020 07:46 AM

Kenny

There is a new, well 2900 miles on it now, 4 Runner TRD Off Road as back up. Not a Rooster Runner, but a Grey Phase Chaser I guess. I like the FJ better it's all set up for me and the dogs with about every thing I think we need. Including a chain saw, chains, shovels, ease out boards, come alongs, straps, Cell booster, shell box, gun locker and as much dog vet stuff as makes any sense. Yes it's a little sweaty and just the way I like it at 208K it's just at half life in my view. The new one has more bells and whistles and talks to you which I don't like, but with the upgrade KDSS suspension and locking 4 WD it will have to do.

That Fox is no good for you, a hair too low for you. Hell, pheasants give you time to make a sandwich, so when you miss a grouse with it you'll think of me and how you could have had my money and been rid of the burden to cover the bird. Just not needed with a Purdey as the backup, because I know you'll be hunting Ruby's CSM Fox.

My go to cut barrel 20ga will get most of the chances, and the 28ga will see some Aspen bottoms. The go everywhere 0 frame 16ga always along for council when I start talking to my self and looking at the barrels. It's better than Dr. Phil.

Garry L Gordon 10-15-2020 08:49 AM

Hmmm...these exchanges are getting as good as those between Edgar and Dean. I hope you all have safe and wondrous trips. We'll be across Lake Superior in Minnesota just in case the woodcock decide to fly North (or is it West?). Hey, it's 2020 and you never know.

Looking forward to posts with appropriate lies and other tall tales.

Shawn Wayment 10-16-2020 09:15 AM

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Mills Morrison 10-16-2020 08:50 PM

One of these days. . . .

Harold Lee Pickens 10-17-2020 03:46 PM

First day, 22 grouse flushes, most all pointed, but few shots. I got 2 over Doodle, and Terry got 1. Wite out conditions last night, and heavy snow this morning. Will be better weather after today.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-21-2020 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heavy wet snow again last night,still at cabin.Two birds over Fancy yesterday with Uggie 28