Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Opening Day II -- Teal (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37302)

Garry L Gordon 09-11-2022 09:36 AM

Opening Day II -- Teal

6 Attachment(s)
After ringing in the season with Dove on the 1st, my friend, Tyler, and I watched the sun rise over the marsh for yesterday's teal opener. There was just enough water in the marsh to draw these little rockets and we were buzzed constantly during our short, morning hunt.

I used my Fishtail levered PH. This 1892 gun was shipped on Sept. 1st of that year, so I was helping it celebrate 130 years of good service. It's built on the #1 frame, weighs in at 7 lbs. 5 oz. and has lots of drop...but for some odd reason, I shoot it well. Need I say that it has beautiful 30 inch twist barrels? I went 3 for 3 including two long, left barrel shots at far crossers.

What a beautiful morning! The marsh wrens kept me company throughout our short hunt, my young friend retrieved our birds while I sat and watched (he thinks I'm infirm, and I don't do anything to dissuade him from the notion), and I got a "trophy" greenwing that I dropped in the sled on a long crossing shot. (And...we were dive-bombed by snipe constantly during the hunt. I will "look them up" later, as Gordon MacQuarrrie's Mr. President used to say.)

Ya don't get many mornings like this. Enjoy them while you can.

charlie cleveland 09-11-2022 09:45 AM

what a day to spend in the swamp and with a parker....charlie

Aaron Beck 09-11-2022 09:50 AM

No loaner for Tyler? Seems like a ready recruit, the next generation so to speak. Looks like a nice morning, great photos as ever.

Keith Doty 09-11-2022 10:51 AM

Opened Teal here in Texas yesterday morning with 2 old friends, my 28" VH 12 ga, and Capt. Hooker, my male lab. It's flooded rice fields for us on the Garwood prairie. A below average opener, we didn't appear to have a lot of birds yet AND it was dead still with "bluebird" skies, the kiss of death on the prairie. We managed 9 birds between us and enjoyed a pleasantly cool morning, not the typical sweat drenched opening Teal hunt. Going to miss Teal next weekend as South Zone doves opens and I'm helping a friend host a hunt in South Texas. I'm hoping for the final weekend to give us one of the "melt down, can't keep shells in the gun" Teal hunts we often have.

Garry L Gordon 09-11-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Beck (Post 371631)
No loaner for Tyler? Seems like a ready recruit, the next generation so to speak. Looks like a nice morning, great photos as ever.

Tyler’s been gifted a small bore double, but I don’t have enough RST bismuth loads to “meet his shooting needs.” He follows the dictum, “apply liberal doses of shot.” He kills more birds.

Garry L Gordon 09-11-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Doty (Post 371640)
Opened Teal here in Texas yesterday morning with 2 old friends, my 28" VH 12 ga, and Capt. Hooker, my male lab. It's flooded rice fields for us on the Garwood prairie. A below average opener, we didn't appear to have a lot of birds yet AND it was dead still with "bluebird" skies, the kiss of death on the prairie. We managed 9 birds between us and enjoyed a pleasantly cool morning, not the typical sweat drenched opening Teal hunt. Going to miss Teal next weekend as South Zone doves opens and I'm helping a friend host a hunt in South Texas. I'm hoping for the final weekend to give us one of the "melt down, can't keep shells in the gun" Teal hunts we often have.

No pictures!? Good luck with your dove opener.

Keith Doty 09-11-2022 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 371645)
No pictures!? Good luck with your dove opener.

OOOOPs! Garry, I left the cell phone in the truck. It was dark, first pre-dawn outing of the year, does this flashlight work?, excited dog under foot , 'WHERE'S THE DEEP WOODS OFF?", tangled decoys............................ You know! All the good stuff of the first hunt of the year. Some things just don't change much even after 50+ opening mornings. I hadn't looked in my blind bag since January, pulled it off the shelf about 10 PM, grabbed a shotgun outta the safe and stuffed some correct shells in it, just DID take time to make sure no sub gauge shells were hiding in the bag. I'll have some dove hunt pics next week.

John Marscher 09-11-2022 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice! Went on a solo hunt down here for the opener. Damn the mosquitos and rain but still a great morning.

Attachment 110030

Attachment 110031

Garry L Gordon 09-12-2022 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Doty (Post 371685)
OOOOPs! Garry, I left the cell phone in the truck. It was dark, first pre-dawn outing of the year, does this flashlight work?, excited dog under foot , 'WHERE'S THE DEEP WOODS OFF?", tangled decoys............................ You know! All the good stuff of the first hunt of the year. Some things just don't change much even after 50+ opening mornings. I hadn't looked in my blind bag since January, pulled it off the shelf about 10 PM, grabbed a shotgun outta the safe and stuffed some correct shells in it, just DID take time to make sure no sub gauge shells were hiding in the bag. I'll have some dove hunt pics next week.

Keith, this sounds very familiar…:rotf:

Keith Doty 09-12-2022 10:42 AM

And now it's time for the bacon and jalapeno!