Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C grade (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37588)

Herb Hewlett 10-23-2022 05:11 PM

C grade

I recently acquired a C grade lifter,sent the 12 ga. barrels to Breck Gorman ,he did his magic and they look wonderful. next step was to pull the locks and try to clean them up so they did not cock so hard, with some blaster and a screw driver sharpened to fit the lock screw it came out easily.Now to my question
what is a good liquid to soak them in and remove 140 years of dried grease.
Or is there a method to remove the gunk that is quick and easy with no special tools? My plan is to use it for Grouse this week ,if possible. Herb

CraigThompson 10-23-2022 06:02 PM

I’d use a sonic cleaner , most likely take a bit of time . I used a sonic cleaner on an A grade Fox that was later embellished and filled with old grime . It brought the engraving back out very nicely .

paul golston 10-23-2022 08:46 PM

Ditto the sonic cleaner . I like to put a mix of mineral spirits / ATF oil W/a Dash of Kroil and most everthing comes apart. I have a 1815 lock ( Brown Bess)that had not been touched in 200 yrs. before I let it bath for 36 hrs. All screws come out with a "washer" under it of oxidized grease .

Herb Hewlett 10-23-2022 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info on a sonic cleaner but I don't happen to own one.
I think I'm looking for something I can wash the locks in by hand and get them reasonably clean. Thanks again ,Herb

CraigThompson 10-23-2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hewlett (Post 374090)
Thanks for the info on a sonic cleaner but I don't happen to own one.
I think I'm looking for something I can wash the locks in by hand and get them reasonably clean. Thanks again ,Herb

You can go on Harbor Freight I think and pick up a decent sized cleaner for your needs in the $85 range . https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

Chuck Bishop 10-23-2022 09:52 PM

A tooth brush + mineral spirits + Gun Scrubber + a light oiling to protect the metal.

Russell E. Cleary 10-24-2022 07:38 AM

It looks like you flunked downsizing, Herb.

If I have this right, when we last spoke you had said something to me along the lines of your having reckoned with your stage in life and had sold off nearly all of your guns.

Nice to hear that a C-grade hammer gun, rife with possibilities for you to oversee the reclamation of, can call us back into the game.

Herb Hewlett 10-24-2022 08:47 AM

Thanks guys I found an old battery run toothbrush that I think will work perfectly,I even have some mineral spirits.
Now about my ,ahem, down sizing. In the past year I bought 3 Lifters,and an
English ,D.Williamson 12 with 30" brls. bored cyl. and full. My thoughts are that next year I am definitely, maybe downsizing .That still gives me the rest of this year to grab some more great buys.
Grouse hunting has been great this year plenty of birds and lots of Woodcock
My Brittany ,Hooch has finally turned into a bird dog instead of a knucklehead
and I did not have to swear at him but once or twice.

Garry L Gordon 10-24-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hewlett (Post 374107)
Thanks guys I found an old battery run toothbrush that I think will work perfectly,I even have some mineral spirits.
Now about my ,ahem, down sizing. In the past year I bought 3 Lifters,and an
English ,D.Williamson 12 with 30" brls. bored cyl. and full. My thoughts are that next year I am definitely, maybe downsizing .That still gives me the rest of this year to grab some more great buys.
Grouse hunting has been great this year plenty of birds and lots of Woodcock
My Brittany ,Hooch has finally turned into a bird dog instead of a knucklehead
and I did not have to swear at him but once or twice.

Herb, I like your conviction to "definitely, maybe" downsize.:) We should all have such conviction. Glad to learn your grouse hunting has been going well, and that your pup is making you proud. Are you shooting birds with one of your lifters? A lifter is on my "to do" list.:corn:

Richard Flanders 10-25-2022 02:23 PM

I use lacquer thinner in my sonic cleaner and toss the pieces in a day early without running it. Turn it on the next day and all the nasty goo just disappears.