Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Week that Was... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37863)

Garry L Gordon 11-26-2022 02:19 PM

The Week that Was...

10 Attachment(s)
We hunted every day this past week (taking today off by strict order of the Boss). The week was marked by warmer weather -- really too warm -- and poor chances at birds...and, of course, there's my shooting (which shall go undisclosed).

November can be good for quail here in North Missouri/Southern Iowa, but typically the cover is still too heavy and green, and the temperatures often a bit warm for the guys that hunt in fur coats. We use this time to scout for coveys, and we have found them on all the farms we hunted except for one, cocklebur-infested piece of ground we won't visit again(!).

What I remember most about the days is the beauty of each. Complement that with several nice, old guns, and a few chances at birds, and a wife who understands how much this all means, and you have a Thanksgiving week to truly give thanks for, even if the larder is not full.

I love where I live in a country that gives me the freedom to enjoy it. I hope your Thanksgiving was as blessed.

charlie cleveland 11-26-2022 02:29 PM

them cockleburs are rough on a long haired dog and cotton clothing...yes we are blessed to have such a fine country to live in....charlie

Stan Hoover 11-26-2022 04:47 PM

Still a Great Country!

Gary,
You are fortunate, as I believe we all are. I was able to enjoy with my son another exciting first day of deer season in Pa again. The good times are now, it’s what we make of them that make them Great!
Please tell your wife that we look forward to the beautiful photos you post.
Thanks,
Stan

charlie cleveland 11-27-2022 03:23 PM

I would like to have seen what made that rub on the tree.....charlie

Garry L Gordon 11-27-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 376342)
I would like to have seen what made that rub on the tree.....charlie

You and me both, Charlie. I found lots of sign of a big buck, but I only hunted for a couple of hours on two days. It's hard to go deer hunting with two dogs wanting to chase after birds...and it's a lot easier carrying birds out in my vest than dragging a buck out by myself.:whistle:

Garry L Gordon 11-27-2022 10:04 PM

I thought I'd add a couple photos of the guns I used this week. The VHE is a 1912 gun that went to the west coast, destined for ducks(?), but I carried it thinking I might run into an Iowa pheasant. The BHE is a 1924 16 gauge that was a gift for a banker in Binghamton, NY. The 20 gauge is my Kentucky ordered DHE quail gun. It was made in 1918 for a field trial man as the last pandemic was in full swing (irony?).

Garry L Gordon 11-27-2022 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the guns -- 2, 1 and )
0 frame:

CraigThompson 11-27-2022 10:37 PM

Wow I’ve not seen a rub that size in quite a few years !

Joseph Sheerin 11-28-2022 10:59 AM

Awesome pics, and some awesome shotguns!

Dean Romig 11-28-2022 11:16 AM

At first glance I thought all those leaves in pic. no. 5 was a flushing covey of bob-whites.