Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   First edition? Gunning the Chesapeake (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34903)

Warren Sandberg 12-04-2021 04:47 PM

First edition? Gunning the Chesapeake

2 Attachment(s)
I have what I believe is a first edition of Gunning the Chesapeake by Roy E. Walsh. On the copyright page, there is no reference to an edition number or printing number, only "Copyright @ 1960 by Tidewater Publishers." See attached photo. I see other other adverts for this book cite "Second Printing," for example. What is your opinion? Thanks much.

Dean Romig 12-04-2021 04:52 PM

If Tidewater was the first publisher of record then it stands to reason that yours is a first edition, first printing.

Warren Sandberg 12-04-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 349456)
If Tidewater was the first publisher of record then it stands to reason that yours is a first edition, first printing.

Makes sense. Thanks, Dean.

Bill Murphy 12-05-2021 08:09 AM

Roy Walsh was a Talbot County lawyer who apparently liked waterfowl hunting and history better than lawyering.

Kevin McCormack 12-05-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 349498)
Roy Walsh was a Talbot County lawyer who apparently liked waterfowl hunting and history better than lawyering.

For those not of the (marsh) cloth, he was ever so much more than that. He is essentially responsible as the main sparkplug that ignited the Easton MD Waterfowl Festival, a giant affair of decoys, sculpture, flat art, and guns held every November beginning the Friday of Veteran's Day weekend. They kicked it off in 1970 and except for a COVID break last year it has held up a full head of steam ever since.

He had the biggest collection of commercial waterfowl hunting artifacts ever assembled; gunning punts, punt guns, battery guns, sinkboxes, gunning lamps, and some of the crudest and rarest decoys ever made. At a seminar talk he gave one year at the high school, he said he came close to divorce twice: when he insisted on first building a new 30 x 80 ft. barn to hold all his artifacts, then filled it and told his wife they needed a bigger farm with more land and bigger barns. She reluctantly agreed and said later it probably added 10 years to his life. We of the Tidewater owe him a great deal.

Bill Murphy 12-06-2021 01:54 AM

Kevin, thanks for expounding on my one line description of Harry Walsh's devotion to waterfowling.

Rick Roemer 12-06-2021 02:02 PM

Interesting that this book come up for discussion - I just picked up a copy at the Southern this year and got around to reading it this weekend. Very informative. Does anyone know of other waterfowl books by Mr. Walsh? I go hunting on the Chesapeake every year so this book was a great find for me. Thank you

Mills Morrison 12-06-2021 08:51 PM

I will never forget hunting on Currituck Sound with my son almost 10 years ago. The birds were not flying well but it did not matter.

CraigThompson 12-06-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Roemer (Post 349610)
Interesting that this book come up for discussion - I just picked up a copy at the Southern this year and got around to reading it this weekend. Very informative. Does anyone know of other waterfowl books by Mr. Walsh? I go hunting on the Chesapeake every year so this book was a great find for me. Thank you

When the seller was asking about prices I looked on Amazon and found a signed copy so I ordered it . I just wanted to read it !!!

CraigThompson 12-06-2021 08:58 PM

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Dorchester County and some in Talbot , but always for Sika deer . Waterfowl avoided me until a goose a year or two ago and the mallards yesterday .