Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Saving Orphans (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36624)

Arthur Shaffer 06-11-2022 03:28 PM

Saving Orphans

4 Attachment(s)
A few months ago, I bought a 2nd year AH Fox A Grade from LS&B. It had been refinished sometime in the past and the condition appeared excellent. It had been restocked with a really nice piece of American Walnut and had perfect bores. Tight as a drum. The problem? Ugliest stock design I had seen in a long time.

It was never going to be original, but I ended up buying it at a clunker gunsmith special price. It had fore end iron for a beaver tail, but the one they designed was aobut 2" too long and felt like a 2x4. It extended up past the middle of the barrels. The buttstock had what can only be described as a pronounced nose, and a pistol grip that extended about 1/2" to far past the toe line. It was capped with a plastic cap with a large fake mother of pearl inlay. It was all finished off with a blond spray on poly finish.

I recut the cheek line to remove the nose, lopped off the pistol grip extension, shortened the fore end 1-1/2", lowered the fore end line on the barrels and narrowed it about 3/4". With a lot of careful rasping and sanding, I reshaped it within the wood I had left. I think it looks better and will now be serviceable. Once checkered, I think it will be a pleasing gun for someone to use.

Sometimes you need to look past what is there to what it might be. I certainly wouldn't have spent any more money on this, but I think it turned it into an acceptable piece and saved a fine old shotgun.

charlie cleveland 06-12-2022 10:38 AM

nice job....charlie

Brian Dudley 06-21-2022 03:18 PM

It would be important to note that the standard for placement of a comb is for the nose of the comb to be in line with the center of the grip cap. A point to keep in mind for the next time around.

Arthur Shaffer 06-21-2022 11:26 PM

If you notice the original pictures, the nose was more than 1/2" in front of the front of the grip. By shortening the grip and changing the bottom angle, I moved it forward some, then then I cut down the front of the comb by half of it's height. These two together at least moved the comb nose to a point over the front of the grip cap. That and the physical size of the fore end were what made the original stock look so bizarre. I was constrained by the physical envelope I had to work inside. The goal here wasn't a work of art, it was to come up with something that would look acceptable. Honest truth is that if I can locate a straight replacement trigger guard before checkering, I will likely just completely amputate the grip.