Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dale from Central New York (state, not city) (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36339)

Dale Soos 05-06-2022 09:45 PM

Dale from Central New York (state, not city)

Greetings!

I figured I would drop a line and see what bites.

I live in Central NY, and looking to see if there are any shooters in the area.

I am going for the Grand Slam of American shotguns. I've been fortunate to know some Ithaca employees over the years and had/have some nice IG pieces, singles, doubles, pumps, & handguns.

I recently bought my first Parker (VH, 12 ga, mfd in 1902).

I shoot some Continental shotguns from Italy, Spain, Belgium, but do look forward to adding at least 1 LC, and some more Parkers to the collection.

Look forward to hearing from folks close to Cortland!

Cheers!

Dale

Brian Dudley 05-06-2022 10:13 PM

Welcome. I am in Rochester. I deer hunt down in cortland on family land.

Dale Soos 05-06-2022 10:17 PM

Thanks for the reply Brian. Whereabouts is your family land down here? My cousin is a police officer in Greece and I have other relatives out that way, and I'm originally from Buffalo.

I do some rifle shooting down near Wayland too.

Dale

Harold Lee Pickens 05-07-2022 07:10 AM

welcome to the forum Dale, lots of good info here. We always like pictures of your Parkers.

Brian Dudley 05-07-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Soos (Post 363175)
Thanks for the reply Brian. Whereabouts is your family land down here? My cousin is a police officer in Greece and I have other relatives out that way, and I'm originally from Buffalo.

I do some rifle shooting down near Wayland too.

Dale

Homer.

Dale Soos 05-07-2022 07:30 AM

We have about 115 acres at the Cortland/ Onondaga county line just a bit north of Homer. Beautiful area.

Andrew Sacco 05-07-2022 10:00 AM

Hi Dale. I'm in the Binghamton area. I love how you qualified what part of NY you're from. Only we upstate folks understand....

George Lang 05-07-2022 11:49 AM

Welcome Dale, I'm in Afton 25 miles east of Binghamton.

Dale Soos 05-07-2022 12:43 PM

I shoot rifle sports down at Broome County Sportsmans Club and just shot today out near Sidney. Nice to hear some others are stranded here in NY.

I used to travel around the world, and learned to qualify that I was from the state, not the city, when people assumed I lived in Manhattan ��*♂️

Donald F. Mills 05-07-2022 07:15 PM

Hi, I’m up In Oswego. Welcome. If you want to shoot some sporting clays or skeet with Parkers feel free to reach out. You should join us at Hausman’s the first weekend in June for some fun and education on all things double gun. It’s a great time.

Dale Soos 05-07-2022 10:29 PM

Hi Don,

Thank you for the welcome and the invite. Sadly, my first local rifle match is the 4th, then I'm going to MYC to visit a friend that's coming in from Sweden for the rest of the weekend.

Dale

randall rosenthal 06-02-2022 01:40 PM

hello...i live in the same state...sorta. way out on eastern long island. everything is up-state to us. i just got here myself.

Andrew Sacco 06-02-2022 01:46 PM

You live in NY buy your guns today. Safe act 2 being passed behind closed doors this week. It’s over in this state.

Dale Soos 06-02-2022 04:32 PM

Amazing how different the state is, depending on where you're from. Welcome!

Dale Soos 06-02-2022 04:33 PM

This would be a great state, if it weren't for the politics. They need to wait until midnight to vote on it, like V1.

John Wayman 06-14-2022 09:32 PM

Welcome Dale, I’m in Rochester, but grew up in Ithaca and have a small stable of Ithaca guns- from 7E Flues SBT to Field grade NID .410. I would also recommend Hausmans. I’ve learned a lot and had a great time there. Hope we cross paths at some point. J Wayman

Dale Soos 06-15-2022 02:10 AM

Hi John, great to meet you. Sadly, I had conflicts that whole weekend for the event at Hausmann's, though it does seem the place to be, and so close. I own/owned some unique IG products, #2 of 22 Deerslayer 3, 1 of 7 Antonio Zoli mfd O/U, 4E Knick SBT, Deerslayer, Mod 37, Mod 87, Deerslayer Ultra-Featherweight, and am always looking for something else unique to add. That 410 bores must be a real sweetie.

Picked up an Astra 20ga SxS in Pittsford in early April. It's good to find like-mided folks locally.

Cheers!

Harry Gietler 06-15-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 365165)
You live in NY buy your guns today. Safe act 2 being passed behind closed doors this week. It’s over in this state.

What are you ''TALKING ABOUT'' ?

Harry

john pulis 06-18-2022 07:50 AM

Long Island

Quote:

Originally Posted by randall rosenthal (Post 365164)
hello...i live in the same state...sorta. way out on eastern long island. everything is up-state to us. i just got here myself.

There are a few of us Down-staters or flat-landers out here on eastern LI. We hunt of private land, shoot at local (Peconic, Maidstone) clubs, or at one of the last remaining county facilities in Yaphank. Miss the mountains upstate but the beaches in summertime are…

randall rosenthal 06-18-2022 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john pulis (Post 366107)
There are a few of us Down-staters or flat-landers out here on eastern LI. We hunt of private land, shoot at local (Peconic, Maidstone) clubs, or at one of the last remaining county facilities in Yaphank. Miss the mountains upstate but the beaches in summertime are…

i live in Springs. my family however were dairy farmers in the catskills in the 1800s. until recently i was a pretty hard core surfer./ snowboarder.... caught a few waves on my 74th birthday and then renewed my interest in firearms. very new to shotguns. just playing around at calverton and brookhaven so far. nice to meet you...

john pulis 06-18-2022 08:23 AM

East end beaches are the best. Smith’s Point, Tiana, et al. Still go during the week to avoid the NYC crowds. New York is diverse:there are upstaters, downstaters, city-people, Long Islanders, and us East-Enders. We summered as kids way back when out in Springs, with the “bonackers.” Dug clams from Three Mile harbor. Did some marketing for Marders in another lifetime in Bridgehampton. Several real nice sculpture gardens.

randall rosenthal 06-18-2022 08:50 AM

my son played on a little league team Charlie sponsored with his son. small world!

Andrew Sacco 06-18-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Gietler (Post 365954)
What are you ''TALKING ABOUT'' ?

Harry

Harry, sorry I didn't see this. Apparently the new law stipulates that you have to have a permit to buy a semi auto rifle, and I'm not sure if that means .22LR as well. And microstamping is apparently in the law to be signed. They're now considering background checks for ammo for the next legislative session. This information is all second hand to me, and I have yet to verify it all. I sent an email to the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association but haven't heard back yet on all the details, and I'm sure they'll respond when it's signed into law.

Dale Soos 06-18-2022 05:28 PM

It's an amazing state, with lots of geography. As a hunter ed instructor here in CNY, I've had folks from every corner of the state come in. We used to a 3-day class - Fri night, Sat and Sun when there was allowed a combined gun/bow event. A father/ son combo from Montauk came for that because nothing out on the Island. It is a small world!

john pulis 06-19-2022 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Soos (Post 366123)
It's an amazing state, with lots of geography. As a hunter ed instructor here in CNY, I've had folks from every corner of the state come in. We used to a 3-day class - Fri night, Sat and Sun when there was allowed a combined gun/bow event. A father/ son combo from Montauk came for that because nothing out on the Island. It is a small world!

Not surprised about the Hunter-Ed. When I went to renew my decades old license, no longer in the system, I had to attend a one day course. They filled up within hours of announcement.

Dale Soos 06-19-2022 06:54 PM

Hi John,

Until last year, I volunteered in the DEC booth at the NYS Fair in Syracuse every year. And we'd get accosted by people telling us we needed to hold more classes, with the same claim you just made - filling up quickly (usually within minutes of it going live to sign up). When we told those folks we were all volunteers, it usually changed their tone about it. It is a mostly thankless job, but all of us get some satisfaction from holding them. It has been tough with COVID, since we were prohibited from doing the in-person classes. It was interesting, as the numbers of new hunters was way up, with hunting related incidents at one of the lowest ever. My nephew and brother did the online class, and there was a lot that got lost in that format, but real-world experience is paying off for them both as they hunted last year.

john pulis 06-20-2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Soos (Post 366185)
Hi John,

Until last year, I volunteered in the DEC booth at the NYS Fair in Syracuse every year. And we'd get accosted by people telling us we needed to hold more classes, with the same claim you just made - filling up quickly (usually within minutes of it going live to sign up). When we told those folks we were all volunteers, it usually changed their tone about it. It is a mostly thankless job, but all of us get some satisfaction from holding them. It has been tough with COVID, since we were prohibited from doing the in-person classes. It was interesting, as the numbers of new hunters was way up, with hunting related incidents at one of the lowest ever. My nephew and brother did the online class, and there was a lot that got lost in that format, but real-world experience is paying off for them both as they hunted last year.

It was nice to see the large number of younger people attending the HE course. Fathers with sons ad daughters, mothers with same, and a sprinkling of us older folk. The course was, for one day, fairly comprehensive. This was pre-covid. And yes, all very civic minded volunteers.