Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   12 ga SS special, 20, & 28 on gunbroker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32581)

Bob Jurewicz 03-09-2021 08:41 AM

L-S&B is a big seller on GB. They advertize and promote their auctions. It pay off with good sale price results.
Bob Jurewicz

Greg Baehman 03-10-2021 11:33 AM

The 12ga. DHE Steel Shot Special that is one of the subjects in this thread carries S/N 12SS-00237 and is yet another example of a SSS model with a S/N of less than #350.

I've asked this before and haven't gotten a response, so I'll ask it again . . . have you seen, heard or know of a SSS that is stamped with the SS markings that has a S/N higher than 12SS-00350?

Bonus question . . . what is the earliest or lowest S/N of the SS factory-stamped guns?

Paul Brannon 03-10-2021 07:32 PM

I have SS 12-0064

Joel Hackett 05-19-2022 12:29 PM

Mine is SS 12-0194, straight grip, dual triggers, 28" barrels.

allen newell 05-19-2022 12:53 PM

David, my dad was in real estate and would say that a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Same holds true here..

John Allen 05-19-2022 03:39 PM

I ordered the SS marked guns when I worked for Jaegers. We placed an order for 350 guns. They all came through Jaegers which was a division of Dunns in Grand Junction,Tn at the time. They actually shipped 360 guns. We had them marked SS to differentiate our guns from standard production guns. We were so successful with the SS guns that Parker Repro came out with their own steel shot specials which are not SS marked. To my knowledge,all SS marked guns are less than 360 serial range.

Scott Gentry 05-19-2022 09:46 PM

SSS

Ask John about the lowest numbered SSS, I have shot it and it lives pretty close to him.

tom tutwiler 05-22-2022 06:55 AM

I bought a 28 gauge in excellent condition last year from the same dealer with double triggers and Q1 and Q2 chokes with a splinter. Price a tad less then 5 K. I think it would bring more money today.

Greg Baehman 05-22-2022 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Allen (Post 363978)
I ordered the SS marked guns when I worked for Jaegers. We placed an order for 350 guns. They all came through Jaegers which was a division of Dunns in Grand Junction,Tn at the time. They actually shipped 360 guns. We had them marked SS to differentiate our guns from standard production guns. We were so successful with the SS guns that Parker Repro came out with their own steel shot specials which are not SS marked. To my knowledge,all SS marked guns are less than 360 serial range.

Before others start believing that a standard production 12ga. Parker Reproduction DHE w/28" bbls., 3" chambers, factory choked IC/M get carried away thinking it's the same thing as a bonafide Steel Shot Special ought to consider a couple of important details that differentiate a Steel Shot Special from the standard production guns.

1. The Steel Shot Special has chrome lining through the choke area, the standard production guns do not.

2. The choke geometry is different in the Steel Shot Special. Reportedly the Steel Shot Special choke area is longer than the standard production guns.

* Another little detail I've observed is that a Steel Shot Special with the SS stamps as part of the serial number will, in nearly all cases, command a higher price on the secondary market than the standard production guns -- sometimes as much $2000 - $3000 more.

To my way of thinking a standard 12-ga. Repro DHE w/28" bbls., 3" chambers and choked IC/M is not a Steel Shot Special unless it also has "SS" factory stamps as part of the serial number. You're free to come up with a looser definition if you'd like, but that's mine.

"It's the itty-bitty details that make the big-big difference."

Gary Laudermilch 05-22-2022 05:44 PM

$2-3k difference is only a positive if you are selling. Supposedly all repros are steel shot safe or so the advertising suggested. The unstamped gun I shot this morning made a mess of targets and also doves when I used it for them. Collectors can care about the SSS serial number and that is great. At least this shooter could care less about the additional characters in the serial number.