Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Laminated (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38106)

Bruce Day 12-26-2022 06:57 PM

Laminated

1 Attachment(s)
Xxxx

Dean Romig 12-26-2022 07:19 PM

Has that inverted umlat ever been deciphered?

Russell E. Cleary 12-26-2022 11:47 PM

Dean:

If I understand the question:

The abbreviation or contraction of BROs would warrant the use of a line or dot below the small "s" to serve as a "ligature".

In this Parker example two dots, not one, was used. I do not know if this "doubling-up" has been done before in the wider culture or is unique to this Parker instance. Apparently, any such contraction (one or two dots, or line-under) is rare or unknown with Parker guns, based on the comments I see here.

I am just going on what I learned from a Glyphs Forum: "The line or dot denotes that the Mc is a contraction of Mac [in a Scottish surname]."

Bill Murphy 01-04-2023 05:31 PM

Yup, because Bros is a contraction or abbreviation of the word brothers. But why doesn't it appear more often, or does it?

Dean Romig 01-04-2023 05:46 PM

I've never noticed it before Bill... but I may have presumed it was a flaw, mistake or a ding.

Russell E. Cleary 01-04-2023 07:29 PM

I re-wrote my post above, as it was confusingly written, and hope my edits make it less so.

Arthur Shaffer 01-06-2023 09:57 AM

A lot may depend on how the ribs are engraved. I could see a new engraver or one doing contract work making a mistake from working on other brands. The format is really common in European settings. However, if it occured when roll engraving or automated work were common, it would either be common or occur when a set of barrels were inadvertantly not engraved and corrected by hand incorrectly.

A third option would be that a set of replacement barrels were commissioned and the barrel maker didn't copy the originally exactly.

Bill Murphy 01-06-2023 04:03 PM

Was the barrel legend on Bruce's gun engraved or rolled?

Dean Romig 01-06-2023 04:41 PM

It looks like it was engraved, the letters by comparisonto each other are slightly different - R’s compared to R’s and E’s compared to E’s…

There are a couple of pages in TPS that illustrate all known roll stamps.

Jay Oliver 01-08-2023 07:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I always took that symbol as an abbreviation that evolved over time.

In my earlier back action guns the abbreviation and Font is the same as the picture Bruce posted. Though to my eye the "O" seams slightly smaller, which may also be part of the abbreviation. I posted serial# 97 and #029.

Later guns in the 1000 serial range I have have a slanted font engraving on the rib with the abbreviation as: Bros,, see picture from #01686

I don't have any Parkers is the 2000 serial range, but I have 3 in the 3000 serial number range where the abbreviation has changed to: Bros" see picture from #3644

And to confuse everyone once you think you have identified a pattern with Parkers, serial #10931 has the abbreviation back to: Bros,, I attached a picture as these are cool stub stwist barrels that letter as 29 1/2"

In my collection, after 15,000 it's all: BROS

I think it just evolved or different engravers were brought on and did it their way. This would make an interesting Parker Pages article. Does anyone have any other examples or outliers?