Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roll Crimping (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32189)

edgarspencer 01-18-2021 10:33 AM

Roll Crimping

3 Attachment(s)
It's the little things that excite me the most lately.
I've always enjoyed roll crimping paper hulls, and I've used a variety of crimping tools. My favorite 12 gauge tool is a deluxe Bridgeport Gun Implement 4 pin crimper. The end result, on new Cheddite hulls is a crimp like the good old days.
My new adventure is roll crimping 28 gauge, so I bought a BPI roll tool, and was unimpressed. The roll was squared off, and uneven. The tool profile is entirely wrong, and it only has one rolling rod. Hopes of finding a good antique was short lived.
After a long search of threads on a variety of sites, I found chatter about a guy named Nick Ross. Nick obviously thought the old timers knew what made a tool right. He produces a beautiful FOUR pin tool.
The profile is 100% correct and his tool is nitride hardened (The Reloaders Network says it's case hardened) for long lasting durability. The BPI roll tool is crude and the working surface is far from what a machinist would consider acceptable.
At twice the price of BPI's tool ($49.95 and free shipping), the roll tool is hands down superior. Nothing less than a perfect roll on plastic and paper is the result, with no galling of once fired paper (cases trimmed to 2 1/2")
The Reloaders Network sells the tool in 10ga. thru .410.
I am not a paid spokesperson, just a satisfied guy with time on his hands.

chris dawe 01-18-2021 11:42 AM

I got a real nice 28 bore old style roll crimper here somewhere .... nice shiny brass.

I also found the square shouldered crimp with the BPI and wasn't impressed.

Ken Hill 01-18-2021 12:56 PM

I keep looking for a vintage roll crimped for 2" shells. I haven't found one yet. Maybe I need to go this route.

Ken

edgarspencer 01-18-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris dawe (Post 322353)
I got a real nice 28 bore old style roll crimper here somewhere .... nice shiny brass.

You would, you bugger.

Harold Lee Pickens 01-18-2021 02:29 PM

Edgar, I've got 40-50 RST blue paper hulls in 16 ga-yours if you want them.

edgarspencer 01-18-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 322371)
Edgar, I've got 40-50 RST blue paper hulls in 16 ga-yours if you want them.

I can't do them justice, Harold, until I can get one of Nick's tools in 16. I have a BPI and it galls the hell out of once fired hulls. Ugly ammo isn't as bad as ugly guns, but close.

Matt Buckley 01-18-2021 05:17 PM

I agree with your assessment Edgar of BPI's roll crimper as well. I didn't like the crimps I got out of it either so I purchased one from Precision Reloading and that one works much better.

Eldon Goddard 01-19-2021 09:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Edgar thanks for this post. I attempted to improve the bpi by adding three more roll pins on my 8 ga crimper but I believe the internal geometry is just not right as the crimps still dont turn out correct. I might have to order that Nick Ross one in 10 ga.

edgarspencer 01-19-2021 10:56 AM

Eldon, I also have a BPI 8ga. roll crimper, and, like you, am not happy with it’s results. The number of pins certainly helps getting the rolling started, but the coarse finish of their tool causes a falling of the edge, square or otherwise. I couldn’t be more pleased with the Nick Ross tool.
I like the collet fixture on your mill. Is it R8, or 5C ? Does it also rotate? I have an old Brown & Sharpe dividing head with collet holding but I can’t seem to locate correct (new) collets, and dividing head jobs take me twice as long because I have to keep refreshing my memory on rotation/ degree increments. The superspacer is too large, from OD to workpiece.

Jay Oliver 01-19-2021 12:08 PM

Not knowing this, I ordered a few from both BPI and Precision(depending on what was in stock). I haven't used them yet.

My 16 gauge one is from Precision. I am hoping to use it this week to make some roll crimp shells for my top action 16 gauge. If it doesn't work well I am going to order the one you recommend Edgar. That makes sense to me to get a quality tool that does it right.

Hopefully, I'll have some nice shells for my 16 when we meet up at Addieville.