Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1884 Top Lever Grade II (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37285)

Bruce P Bruner 09-08-2022 12:30 PM

1884 Top Lever Grade II

7 Attachment(s)
Early morning surfing paid a nice dividend today. Sometimes you just get really really lucky.
It's a 1884 3 Frame 10 Gauge, 30" Barrels with clean bores and Dog's Head Butt. The case color and Damascus barrel pattern is truly amazing. Thank Heaven for those Cabela's guys. If it wasn't for their occasional pricing "mishaps" I'd never afford most of my Parkers.
The only flaw I can see is a small chip at the toe on the butt plate that has been filled in. I can live with that.
I'm so glad I woke up this morning. Landing a nice Parker is more fun than catching a big fish.

Dean Romig 09-08-2022 12:37 PM

What a beauty!! You're a lucky guy!

Brian Dudley 09-08-2022 01:43 PM

A great example when it comes to the metal work on the frame for sure. The barrels have likely been refinished. And the wood as well. Someone did a real number on that checkering. Eesh.

Bruce P Bruner 09-08-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 371463)
A great example when it comes to the metal work on the frame for sure. The barrels have likely been refinished. And the wood as well. Someone did a real number on that checkering. Eesh.

My saving grace is that when it's delivered to my local store I can request a refund. Thankfully, it's very beneficial to have more experienced eyes on this forum help me along. There doesn't seem to be a mullering border. My exuberance may have been a bit premature.
Thank you Brian!

Dean Romig 09-08-2022 02:55 PM

If you don't care for the checkering it can be remedied.

CraigThompson 09-08-2022 03:20 PM

If the price was what I thought to be right the checkering if not correct wouldn’t hinder me in the least . But then I’ve got a soft spot for 10’s :whistle:

Bruce P Bruner 09-08-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 371473)
If the price was what I thought to be right the checkering if not correct wouldn’t hinder me in the least . But then I’ve got a soft spot for 10’s :whistle:

How soft is that spot for $2800? Objectively, a candidate for restoration is X amount of value, plus the cost of the restoration. If the restoration is accurate and correct it can be rewarding, even if you never recoup the cost as long as you are happy with the result. It's beyond annoying when the sales people say "it's original" when asked, though considering the source it's not surprising at all.
I'm just like everyone else, a good price equals value. How can you justify value on a gun such as this one? Beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. I always strive to be able to recoup my firearms investments, even if close I'm okay with it. I'm won't live long enough to "come out" on mistake guns, I'm not in business anyway. Collecting shooting arms shouldn't give me such a headache. Sorry for the rant, I'm a bit frustrated.

charlie cleveland 09-08-2022 04:01 PM

nice gun at a good price...I d be happy to own such a pretty gun in my favorite ga no 10....charlie

Richard Flanders 09-08-2022 04:31 PM

I have it's 1886 twin. Just had to have the barrels done. This one is gorgeous.

Dan Steingraber 09-08-2022 05:28 PM

Lovely gun.