Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Resizing some "different" 8 gauge hulls (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34759)

Milton C Starr 11-18-2021 02:07 PM

Resizing some "different" 8 gauge hulls

5 Attachment(s)
So I got the idea to experiment with resizing these other Winchester 8 ga shells I just bought , I was bored and figured why not . I wouldnt mind getting a few more of each to reload they are in surprising good shape and would be nice to have a few on hand . The low brass shell is pretty neat it actually resizes probably the easiest of any of the industrial shells I have done. The paper one is a powder sampler shell which I suppose is why its has no factory markings on it . I also bought a orange Winchester hulls as well for no particular reason .

Milton C Starr 11-18-2021 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Resizes pretty easily.

Milton C Starr 11-18-2021 02:14 PM

I removed the shot from the hull before resizing Im always a bit overly cautious when resizing primed hulls anyhow .

charlie cleveland 11-18-2021 06:19 PM

all looks good...first time I have seen a orange hull 8 ga......looks like they crimp good to...charlie

Milton C Starr 11-18-2021 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 348175)
all looks good...first time I have seen a orange hull 8 ga......looks like they crimp good to...charlie

The orange one is a ribbed hull also, dont think ive seen that before on a 8 gauge shell . According to Remingtons website they make a yellow hull also but I have never seen these show up anywhere . I think the paper hulls probably wont have much use trying to reload it looks the only way to remove the crimp is to cut it off which leaves you with a 2 3/4" hull .

William Davis 11-19-2021 06:41 AM

Interesting post, photos add a lot. Do you use the Arbor press in the photo. How about lube. Any on the base when sizing ?

Willam

Milton C Starr 11-19-2021 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 348194)
Interesting post, photos add a lot. Do you use the Arbor press in the photo. How about lube. Any on the base when sizing ?

Willam

I use imperial sizing die wax , however I have tested different lubes/oil to see what works. On the Winchester hulls you can size them with just a spray of Rem oil the brass, the Win hulls brass is very workable. Yes I use the one ton arbor press from harbor freight . The Winchester clear hulls read .945" on the brass band before and after resizing .925" . I then turn the die upside down and insert a 3/4" diameter wood dowel and use the arbor press to push it back out doesnt take much effort .

I found a hull trimmer I plan on buying that looks like it could be easily modified to work on 8 gauge hulls . The hull sits on a roller and you just spin it around I think I could easily make a roller for the 8 gauge hulls.

charlie cleveland 11-19-2021 11:42 AM

looks like you have all this down pat...boy I rember my first resizeing attempts...I used those old conduit pliars they worked but left the brass hullbent up pretty good...I think I done some for you using the pliars....wayne gorez sent me a detailed blue print of how to make a 8 ga resizer a friend done the machine work I now turn out factory looking hulls...its a one step operation with a press...charlie

Milton C Starr 11-19-2021 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 348216)
looks like you have all this down pat...boy I rember my first resizeing attempts...I used those old conduit pliars they worked but left the brass hullbent up pretty good...I think I done some for you using the pliars....wayne gorez sent me a detailed blue print of how to make a 8 ga resizer a friend done the machine work I now turn out factory looking hulls...its a one step operation with a press...charlie

Yeah Charlie I got some of the black Remington hulls you did with the pliers , does look like the die is much easier to use :rotf:.

Ive been researching roll crimping and I know alot of people dont like the BPI one but its the only one for the 8 gauge. Though I read it actually works much better if you can run it extremely slow around 60-100 rpms but I couldnt find a drill press that slow. So I came up with a different idea You can buy these reproduction hand crank ones that have changeable heads. I think I could modify it so I could install the 8 gauge roll crimper and the rear part is just a cupped dish which would be easy to fashion one up. Ive read some Mica Wad Slick helps alot on the BPI roll crimper.

charlie cleveland 11-19-2021 01:08 PM

that's a neat crimp roller with all those different heads I have a 8 ga roll crimper like the one you show except much older...also use the ballistic crimper with a drill it makes fair looking crimps...the old roll crimper is much better this is the only old hand crimper I ever ran across in the 8 ga...seen one for a 4 ga but it was expensive let it pass....I got the 8 ga crimper from the Darrel middlebrook estate....charlie