Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UP (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37577)

Harold Lee Pickens 10-21-2022 09:40 PM

UP

1 Attachment(s)
Hunted my way into camp today. Hit all new covers.
I'll be up here for 2 weeks. Used the 20 hammer today, also brought along a VHE 20, and the 30 in Dickinson 28.
Shot at 4 grouse, killed 3.

Bob Hayes 10-21-2022 10:32 PM

Looks awesome congrats
Was there last week for 3 days and flushed plenty but no 3 bird days for me other than woodcock.

Garry L Gordon 10-22-2022 08:30 AM

You rock, Harold (and are a much better shot than I):bowdown:

Keep the posts coming!

Shawn Wayment 10-22-2022 09:15 AM

Looks like a great day. Have a great trip and hope you have great weather.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-22-2022 09:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Shooting percentage will always catch up to me, Garry. Moved 21 grouse and 1 Woodcock today. Few shots, shot at 3 grouse and got 1. Blooded the Dickinson 28 with 30 in barrels. Was over 60 today, had snow cover yesterday morning. Doodle found her a mud puddle to role in.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-23-2022 08:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The little Dickinson is growing on me. Willie with a point,
then Doodle. Very warm today.

Garry L Gordon 10-24-2022 09:00 AM

Harold, you seem to be having a great hunt so far. I hope you don't get the terrific winds and storms we are getting now. How's your flush rate? Those pups of yours look like they are "locked and loaded" for sure. There's nothing in all hunting quite like walking in on a point, is there?

Keep your posts coming...and be safe.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-24-2022 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Garry, moved 30 grouse, 3 Woodcock today, and yes,very skittish, alot of dog work but not alot of shooting. I did get 2 grouse and Terry got 1. Those high winds rolled thru last night. Wish it would cool down.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-24-2022 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like my t shirt?
My office staff bought it for me.

Garry L Gordon 10-25-2022 09:03 AM

Harold, you are an awesome grouse hunter. I can tell from your reports that you go at it with passion.

If we here in Northern MN get weather before the UP, expect cooler temperatures. it's back in the 30s this morning after 45 mph winds and storms yesterday. I like it cool, but not windy. I think the birds are like me.:)

So...have an awesome day in the grouse woods!

Harold Lee Pickens 10-25-2022 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doodle , 1 grouse, 1 wc over her today.

Jeff Stegmeier 10-26-2022 09:36 AM

Harold, I always enjoy your posts and the pictures. Nice shooting!

Harold Lee Pickens 10-26-2022 08:55 PM

Another great day here, but now am by myself. My buddy Terry left this morning, after getting a lot of trail camera pictures of a huge buck he has been after. He is into bow hunting big deer like I am into grouse, so next 10 days by myself. I typically shoot a lot of birds when I am by myself--dont have to share points and shots. Went on a big hunt today, and wore myself and Willie out. Left the truck at 8:45, and got back at 4:00, and still didnt cover it all. The little G Forrester 20 hammer took 4 grouse--the limit is 5, and well, shoulda, woulda, coulda, but didn't .Almost ran out of shells, only had 2 in the gun when I got back. Didnt even shoot over the 4 WC points. The little VHE 20 has yet to be carried.
Talked to Brett Hoops today, he was excited as 1st grouse was shot over his young dog Red, by his buddy. S o happy he is out there.
For those that dont know, Brett suffered a life altering stroke last October. I have kept many of you in the loop, as Brett and I live less than an hour away, and talk frequently. He is carrying a walking stick instead of a gun, but is working hard trying to get back to some kind of normal.
I will post pictures by phone after this post.

Mills Morrison 10-26-2022 09:05 PM

Glad to hear Brett is back out in the woods, even if with just a stick

Harold Lee Pickens 10-26-2022 09:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures, this Willie, Doodle 's litter mate.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-26-2022 09:27 PM

Had 1 more set of pictures, but wont semm to load/post. Internet here in the northwoods, like the TV and cell service is pretty spotty, will try later.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-26-2022 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 more

Garry L Gordon 10-27-2022 09:07 AM

Great hunting -- great photos of the hunt. I can tell your pups are much abused.:rotf:

So have you ever calculated the miles you cover in one of your long days? I read a brief from a medical study the other day that noted the wonderful benefits of taking over 8-9K steps every day. Elaine and I joke about how we could market bird hunting as a health practice.

Keep us posted on your success...and be very careful out there alone.

Randy G Roberts 10-27-2022 09:39 AM

Glad to hear Brett is getting out and about. Tell him hello for me please Harold .... Thanks !

Jeff Stegmeier 10-27-2022 10:22 AM

Harold, it sounds like an amazing day of grouse hunting. Nice shooting.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-27-2022 08:55 PM

Both Willie and myself tired out after yesterdays 7 hour hunt. Didnt leave the cabin until later in the morning. Went to a favorite spot, but moved no birds until getting deep into the cut, and then Fancy pointed 2 groups of 2 birds, got a snap shot that connected. Fancy is now 9 yrs old, but still hunting well. She is a great dead bird finder and retriever. Moved several woodcock, but passed on the shots.
Moving to a different cover, Doodle got the call. Fancy and willie move thru the woods elegantly, like ballerina dancers. Doodle moves like a demolition derby car, or a roller derby player. She is a great retriever however. Moved 10 grouse with 7 of them pointed, and killed 2, this time with the little VHE 20 that got out for the first time this trip. Also moved 6 more woodcock. 14 grouse and 9 WC moved for the day, with 3 grouse taken.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-27-2022 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures

Harold Lee Pickens 10-27-2022 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More

Stan Hoover 10-27-2022 09:40 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your hunts Harold, some day a trip to the UP will hopefully happen. Flushing 5 grouse per day in Pa would be a great day, I’m jealous.
Stan

Garry L Gordon 10-28-2022 08:19 AM

Harold, your pups must really be fine grouse dogs. What a joy to hunt grouse with a dog that knows how to handle Mr. Ruff.

We have warmer temperatures and a bit of rain to send your way from Northern Minnesota -- enjoy!

Harold Lee Pickens 10-28-2022 08:37 PM

Another very productive day.
This old cut never ceases to amaze me with the number of grouse it still holds. It has lots of Hazel brush thru it and is adjacent to a lake.
Couldnt hit anything with the hammer 20 today, which had been a magic wand, so switched over to the 28 Dickinson for 2 more grouse and 1 WC. Weather is warm, still moving 8-10 WC/day, but concentrating mostly on "big bird" covers.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-28-2022 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today's pictures

Harold Lee Pickens 10-29-2022 08:46 PM

I love the color variations of the northern grouse. These were taken on a staggered flush, the gray hen first, followed by the brown cockbird.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-29-2022 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Color phases

Harold Lee Pickens 10-30-2022 09:15 PM

Stopped in to see COB{ Rich Anderson ) at his hunting cabin in Channing today, it was his 70th birthday and looking good. He is heading back home in the am. It is now hot and dry up here, unlike the snow of 10 days ago, but still finding good numbers of birds. Wearing down, but still getting out there all day, cause there is no longer any grouse season back home.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-30-2022 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today

Garry L Gordon 10-31-2022 08:48 AM

Harold, you must be in “hog heaven.” Enjoy every moment, but know it’s okay to take a break for you and/or the pups. Are you keeping flush counts?

Harold Lee Pickens 11-01-2022 07:13 AM

Garry, yes--like you averaging just over 4 flushes/hr. I am by myself, so am putting in 6-7 hrs/day, so thats alot of birds. Not keeping shooting percentages--dont want to be depressed. I am hunting thru Friday, but now are calling for 1-2 in of rain Friday, so may wrap it up Thursday.

Garry L Gordon 11-01-2022 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 374665)
Garry, yes--like you averaging just over 4 flushes/hr. I am by myself, so am putting in 6-7 hrs/day, so thats alot of birds. Not keeping shooting percentages--dont want to be depressed. I am hunting thru Friday, but now are calling for 1-2 in of rain Friday, so may wrap it up Thursday.

I could not keep up with you, Harold:bowdown: It appears that the cycle has not bottomed out in the Upper Midwest, at least based on your and my experience.

If it cools off here, we may try for some woodcock at the farm...or sit in a deer stand and take a nap.:corn:

Be careful out there by yourself, and continue to let us know how things are going.

Kenny Graft 11-01-2022 04:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Harold....You're doing great!!! We enjoyed reading all the posts. (-: Maine was similar flush and hunting but we had only 4 days hunting at Tim's Pond Camps and the weather was not very good. 2 rain days, a hi-wind morning and one 70-degree day that we got hot hunting. Kim hunted with me every day and had a good time....(-: Ruby did well and hunted just fine for us at almost 12! I did good shooting with my XE-Fox 5 out of 11 shots got birds for thanksgiving dinner...yipeee. Keep safe and give me a call anytime. The last picture is in Free Port Maine at a place on the water, good Seagal hunting there (-: Kenny

Harold Lee Pickens 11-01-2022 08:44 PM

Trying to get in the woods early, over 60 by 11:00 today. Fancy on point before I even had the gun out of its case, walked over and shot it for her. 12 more grouse flushes there, plus 5 wc, which are now out of season.
Ran into old friend Frank Jezioro, fellow West Virginian, and cont. editor of Pointing Dog Journal, it was too hot to hunt so we sat in the shade and talked a while. At 3:00, put Willie down, moved 12 birds and she pointed 8, I took 1 more. Willie looks like a million bucks on point, and is a very good dog, but a weak retriever.

Harold Lee Pickens 11-01-2022 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WILLIE on point, and yes I killed that one.

Garry L Gordon 11-02-2022 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 374716)
WILLIE on point, and yes I killed that one.

That's a point that will get your heart racing!

Gerald McPherson 11-02-2022 02:23 PM

Now that is class.

Gary Laudermilch 11-02-2022 03:33 PM

No offense to the "other" dog guys but it is setter. So what else would you expect other than pure class.