Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UP (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37577)

Harold Lee Pickens 10-30-2022 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today

Garry L Gordon 10-31-2022 08:48 AM

Harold, you must be in “hog heaven.” Enjoy every moment, but know it’s okay to take a break for you and/or the pups. Are you keeping flush counts?

Harold Lee Pickens 11-01-2022 07:13 AM

Garry, yes--like you averaging just over 4 flushes/hr. I am by myself, so am putting in 6-7 hrs/day, so thats alot of birds. Not keeping shooting percentages--dont want to be depressed. I am hunting thru Friday, but now are calling for 1-2 in of rain Friday, so may wrap it up Thursday.

Garry L Gordon 11-01-2022 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 374665)
Garry, yes--like you averaging just over 4 flushes/hr. I am by myself, so am putting in 6-7 hrs/day, so thats alot of birds. Not keeping shooting percentages--dont want to be depressed. I am hunting thru Friday, but now are calling for 1-2 in of rain Friday, so may wrap it up Thursday.

I could not keep up with you, Harold:bowdown: It appears that the cycle has not bottomed out in the Upper Midwest, at least based on your and my experience.

If it cools off here, we may try for some woodcock at the farm...or sit in a deer stand and take a nap.:corn:

Be careful out there by yourself, and continue to let us know how things are going.

Kenny Graft 11-01-2022 04:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Harold....You're doing great!!! We enjoyed reading all the posts. (-: Maine was similar flush and hunting but we had only 4 days hunting at Tim's Pond Camps and the weather was not very good. 2 rain days, a hi-wind morning and one 70-degree day that we got hot hunting. Kim hunted with me every day and had a good time....(-: Ruby did well and hunted just fine for us at almost 12! I did good shooting with my XE-Fox 5 out of 11 shots got birds for thanksgiving dinner...yipeee. Keep safe and give me a call anytime. The last picture is in Free Port Maine at a place on the water, good Seagal hunting there (-: Kenny

Harold Lee Pickens 11-01-2022 08:44 PM

Trying to get in the woods early, over 60 by 11:00 today. Fancy on point before I even had the gun out of its case, walked over and shot it for her. 12 more grouse flushes there, plus 5 wc, which are now out of season.
Ran into old friend Frank Jezioro, fellow West Virginian, and cont. editor of Pointing Dog Journal, it was too hot to hunt so we sat in the shade and talked a while. At 3:00, put Willie down, moved 12 birds and she pointed 8, I took 1 more. Willie looks like a million bucks on point, and is a very good dog, but a weak retriever.

Harold Lee Pickens 11-01-2022 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WILLIE on point, and yes I killed that one.

Garry L Gordon 11-02-2022 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 374716)
WILLIE on point, and yes I killed that one.

That's a point that will get your heart racing!

Gerald McPherson 11-02-2022 02:23 PM

Now that is class.

Gary Laudermilch 11-02-2022 03:33 PM

No offense to the "other" dog guys but it is setter. So what else would you expect other than pure class.