Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Looking for an appraiser (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39501)

Karl Miller 06-26-2023 01:42 PM

Looking for an appraiser

Hello All!

I am new to this forum, so I thank you; in advance, for any advice.
I have a 1920, SBT Parker shotgun; SC grade. It was left to me from my Father many years ago, and I'm hoping to learn its true value. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Any thoughts? Thank you.

John Dallas 06-26-2023 01:54 PM

Jaqua's in Findlay, OH

Dean Romig 06-26-2023 04:08 PM

Unless it’s in pristine condition of 90+% condition it is likely worth something less than $5k.

J. Scott Hanes 06-26-2023 10:16 PM

Some photos of the gun would help with an estimate, but for the most part the members here don't hand out appraisals. As Big D noted, Jaqua's would give you an honest appraisal of its retail value and what they would offer if it was for sale. Take a look at some of the other threads on this site to see how the SBT guns are presented in photos so you give the best possibility of a value estimate.

Karl Miller 06-27-2023 01:46 PM

Hey Guys!
Thank you for all your thoughts. I appreciate it. I tried to take some pictures of the gun; to post, but the weather here is very overcast today, and the pictures are too dark. I'll try and get some decent pictures on here soon. Thank you again for your time.

Karl Miller 06-28-2023 03:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello Guys,
Here are a few pictures of my SBT. I was only able to post 5 images. It is a 12 gauge, with a 30" barrel, Case hardened. Bluebook said to add 15% for the 30" barrel? It is in very fine condition. I'd say at least 80%; if it weren't for the two flaws on the butt stock. The last 2 pictures show the small chip, and the small hairline crack. How much do you think these flaws drop it's percentage condition? I just took it to a local gun store/club; for the heck of it, and they gave me a range between 3500-4000. Seems low, but maybe not? Need to take a road trip for an expert opinion from Jaqua's. Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thank you again.

Karl Miller 06-28-2023 03:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more images. Btw- the flaws I referred to in the previous message were the first 2 images; not the last 2. Thanks again.

Dean Romig 06-28-2023 04:10 PM

Karl, it is a refinished SC, not at all in original condition.
Those "flaws" in the stock are of critical importance (one being a chip blown out of the top of the stock head and replaced poorly by a non-matching piece - the other at the rear of the tang is easier to hide, but...) - they reduce the value considerably!
And any bluebook value being increased by 15% doesn't even apply because it is not a "collector value" gun due to the issues I pointed out.

Karl Miller 06-28-2023 04:46 PM

Thank you Dean for your quick response. Appreciate your observations, but am disappointed by what you see. You really feel it’s been refinished? In your opinion, as far as percentage of originality; ie. Blubook, what would you place it at? I appreciate it.

Dean Romig 06-28-2023 05:06 PM

Karl, there's really nothing original about the condition of the gun. It has its original stock and forend but they have been refinished, recheckered, non-original butt, and noted damage.
The barrel and frame are original but the front sight has been replaced, the frame has been re-case-colored using the cyanide method where an original Parker SC would have had the factory bone charcoal color case-hardening...

So, regarding % of original condition.... I'd say very, very little.
% of as restored condition.... I'd say 70% maybe... but blue book value isn't based on restored condition guns.