Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Christmas Gift (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38056)

Garry L Gordon 12-22-2022 09:53 AM

A Christmas Gift

4 Attachment(s)
We got out for an afternoon hunt yesterday, hoping to find a covey or two before the big storm (which is howling as I type this), and hopefully giving the birds enough time to re-covey for warmth before the bottom falls out on the temperatures.

With the weather putting our traditional Christmas Eve and Christmas Day hunts in jeopardy, I thought the solstice would be the right time to blood my "Christmas" present from Elaine, an AHE 12 gauge. Although we acquired the gun back in April, it had been waiting in the safe for the right time -- and yesterday was its day.

Aspen was ranging a bit too far for me when I heard his beeper stop in a fence line separating a CRP field from one with harvested beans. By the time I got to his point, the birds had moved on. Aspen relocated several times, and I finally caught up with him. Elaine was trailing behind, but I saw my chance in a spot where the fence line brush was slightly thinner...so I flushed the birds, a very nice covey. The 1924 Parker did its job on the first shot fired, dropping two birds with one shot. We ended the day with three birds taken with two shots. I know to quit when I'm ahead.

A new Parker and a hunt near home is a Christmas blessing indeed.

Stan Hoover 12-22-2022 10:06 AM

Christmas Gift

Garry,

that is an awesome day, and thanks again for sharing the beautiful pictures.

Stan

Craig Larter 12-22-2022 10:38 AM

Beautiful AHE, glad you got to hunt with it. It is a special day when you get to put such a wonderful and lovely gun back to work.

Dean Romig 12-22-2022 10:41 AM

What a great day for you and Elaine Garry!!

I have loved that gun since the first time I held it sooo many years ago on Steve's tables at Ernie's.
In fact, I was just talking with it's former 'custodian' yesterday and the subject of that sweet Parker came into our conversation. What a treasure it is and it's very nice to know where it finally ended up. That gun couldn't have asked for a better new 'custodian' than you!
Incidentally, that is one of only two Parkers I have ever seen with wedge engraving on Damascus barrels - Congratulations!!

Merry Christmas!

Harold Lee Pickens 12-22-2022 10:42 AM

Wonderful, I might have stopped after that first right barrel double ( no, I wouldn't). Hope the birds can hunker down thru this weather. Hope it moderates before I leave for a mid Jan. trip to South Dakota.

Garry L Gordon 12-22-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 377983)
What a great day for you and Elaine Garry!!

I have loved that gun since the first time I held it sooo many years ago on Steve's tables at Ernie's.
In fact, I was just talking with it's former 'custodian' yesterday and the subject of that sweet Parker came into our conversation. What a treasure it is and it's very nice to know where it finally ended up. That gun couldn't have asked for a better new 'custodian' than you!
Incidentally, that is one of only two Parkers I have ever seen with wedge engraving on Damascus barrels - Congratulations!!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks, Dean. Merry Christmas to you also. I have been in communication with the gun's "former custodian," and am so pleased to be its new caretaker. Those open choked Damascus barrels are death on quail on the rise. I'll save the long, tightly choked fluid steel set for a dove hunt next season. I don't count on a two-for-one on dove when I'm shooting.:crying:

Garry L Gordon 12-22-2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 377984)
Wonderful, I might have stopped after that first right barrel double ( no, I wouldn't). Hope the birds can hunker down thru this weather. Hope it moderates before I leave for a mid Jan. trip to South Dakota.

Not sure when you're headed west, Harold, but our forecast is for upper 40s by the end of next week, and the forecasters are predicting much above normal temps for the beginning of January. I hope the weather is good for your prairie pheasant hunt.

charlie cleveland 12-22-2022 12:42 PM

those are some pretty shells your shooting may I ask what brand they are....charlie

Garry L Gordon 12-22-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 377997)
those are some pretty shells your shooting may I ask what brand they are....charlie

Charlie, they are RST 1 ounce loads. Number 8s in the right barrel and 7s in the left.