Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Am I missing something here? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36173)

Andrew Sacco 04-15-2022 12:31 PM

Am I missing something here?

I used Hodgdon.com reload data and triple checked it as follows:

2.5" Cheddite Hull
Cheddite 209
19.5g Universal
7/8oz lead shot
BP/SPTG16 wad
7300psi/1125fps

Shot out of my 0 frame 16VH they absolutely sound like a cannon and pound the every loving crap out of me. It is a very hot load, and I had two others shoot it and they said "No way that is 1125fps load..." I mean it was loud and getting there quick and it wasn't fun. A 2.5" Longshot 1oz load shot much easier on me with the same gun. Is it possible Hodgon is wrong? Should I chrono it? I won't shoot many of those it wasn't fun, contrary to what I thought the load would be like. The ONLY variable I can find is I have SG16 wads, is that the same as SPTG16?? It loads and crimps nicely. And as further information, I verified the powder throws on an RCBS digital scale, they were spot on. Any insight is appreciated.

Dean Romig 04-15-2022 01:29 PM

I had the same experience a few years ago Andy. I loaded about 3 or 4 boxes of that load and when I frired it I thought I had done something wrong. I shot only 1 box of those and they were excessively loud and pounded my shoulder. I decided to protect my gun, if nothing else, and quit while I was ahead.

I haven't shot any more of those but I will shoot them in my 16 gauge DHE with Titanic Steel barrels. It's a little heavier gun on it's 1-frame than my little 0-frame hammer gun with it's very petite and delicate wrist.

Aaron Beck 04-15-2022 02:54 PM

i think low pressures are frequently or can be louder, because they are still burning when they exit the muzzle. Add a short barrel and its probably worse. witness the moniker "loudshot". I hunt with that load though so if you decide to get it tested, please share the results.

Andrew Sacco 04-15-2022 03:23 PM

Thank you everyone. My VH has 26" barrels. I have a handful of these loads left, that might be enough excuse to buy another 16 on a 1 frame with longer barrels right?

James L. Martin 04-15-2022 03:30 PM

Ops,thought you said 20ga.

Harold Lee Pickens 04-15-2022 07:44 PM

I use that load all the time and havent noticed that problem, even in light 16's like my GH damascus and DHE 16( 6 lbs). I often shoot 3/4 oz loads( International). I will take some of both out next time and see how much difference I can tell.
I was always a 16 ga guy( 11), but lately have been gravitating towards 20's.

Harry Gietler 04-18-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 361661)
Thank you everyone. My VH has 26" barrels. I have a handful of these loads left, that might be enough excuse to buy another 16 on a 1 frame with longer barrels right?

I Got a couple of nice 16's I could fix you up with, but my Prices are
probably too High!

Andrew Sacco 04-18-2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Gietler (Post 361887)
I Got a couple of nice 16's I could fix you up with, but my Prices are
probably too High!

You old coot, you finally figured yourself out!!!

Daryl Corona 04-18-2022 05:06 PM

Longshot is know as Loudshot. I've noticed it in my 16 and 20 gauge loads and I'm not really sure why. Nor do I care. Most shotgun propellants are burned completely in the first 12-18" so they are not still burning when they leave the muzzle. Nowadays you got to dance with the girl you brought.

Andrew Sacco 04-18-2022 05:11 PM

True story Daryl. The Longshot is much easier on me than the Universal was which was what perplexed me given the load data I found from Hodgon themselves.