Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   reloading black powder shells (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37090)

charlie cleveland 08-17-2022 11:37 PM

reloading black powder shells

I reloaded a box of 12 ga black powder shells this evening....used the cheap federal plastic hulls...used 70 grains of pine cone powder I made...I tried a coupa of them out just shooting up in the air...70 grains kicked pretty good I downed the load to 60 grains 1 1/8 ounce of no 7 lead shot...used 10 ga fiber wasa cut in 3 pieces they work good in the 12 ga hull....used one 20 ga wad over the powder and then the other half of the 10 ga wad then 1 1/8 ounce of shot then a small piece of paper over the shot....I ll have to brag on myself they turned out like factory shells....gut to load up another box before opening day of dove season....guess I ll shoot these in a model 94 Remington b grade with 26 inch barrels....its light with open chokes......yep a regular bird gun.....charlie

Keith Doty 08-20-2022 03:09 PM

Pine cone powder?? Do tell. Also, how much melt/burn does the plastic hull suffer, always heard that was an issue with BP.

charlie cleveland 08-20-2022 06:17 PM

yep pine cone powder on I box and pyrodex on the other box...you can get about 3 loadings with the pine cone powder and with pyrodex probably 5 to 6 times with plastic hulls....I shot several loads today of the pine cone powder...finallt settled on 75 grains of pine cone powder and 60 grains of prodex....I ve not yet made any of my home made black powder to be as strong as factory black powder...need to use about 15 percent more of home made powder to be close to factory black...but its fun making the powder and shooting it plus no hazmat fees....

Paul Harm 10-13-2022 01:30 PM

BP melts plastic shotgun wads in the barrel. A mess to clean. The shells themself don't seem to suffer except for burn through pin holes just above the metal base. Paper hulls will do thaat with BP or nitro. They will last about 3 reloads, maybe.

Paul Harm 10-29-2022 02:18 PM

1894 Remingtons, one of my favorite guns. I have three F grade trap guns, also a A, B, and C grade, all 1894s. The three F grades are just plain old steel barrels, the graded guns Damascus. They are all cheaper to buy than Parkers, and for my simple mind, easier to work on. Less parts to figure out or loose.

charlie cleveland 10-29-2022 08:22 PM

yes I too like the 1894 remys...I have the b grade it has ordance steel barrels and a 10 ga 1900 model with steel barrels...wish I had a 32 inch 16 ga 1894...charlie

Paul Harm 10-31-2022 12:12 PM

I just picked up a 89 with 32" Damascus barrels. Pretty decent gun over all. Hey, tell us a little about your pine cone BP.

charlie cleveland 10-31-2022 01:18 PM

the pine cone powder is easy to make...I put the pine cones in a 12 inch cast iron skillet with a cast iron top on the skillet...place on a fire or a gas stove top let heat for about and hour or until smoke quits coming out from under the lid...take off fire and let cool then I use a wood hammer handle and grind up the pine cones in the skillet..takes about 15 minutes or less to grind pine cone into charcoal....look on internet for the right amount of charcoal sulpher and salt peter ratios to mix powder...thentumble in a tumbler for about 8 hours then mix rubbing achoul with the contents till its about like play dough then run it threw a flour sifter into a cookie pan..then set it in the sun for a day letting it dry....then your ready to shoot it....look on you tube for exact directions on how to make black powder....charlie

charlie cleveland 10-31-2022 01:19 PM

the are dry pinecones ...charlie

Paul Harm 11-02-2022 12:22 PM

Not in my wives cast iron pans. She'd beat the sh!! out of me. Or any of her cooking instruments.

Mike Koneski 11-02-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Harm (Post 374738)
Not in my wives cast iron pans. She'd beat the sh!! out of me. Or any of her cooking instruments.

That would be domestic abuse!! :rotf::rotf:

Keith Doty 11-02-2022 01:54 PM

That would be a death sentence at my house!

charlie cleveland 11-02-2022 03:09 PM

buy your own cast iron pan....then the wife wont have nothing to say....you can probably pickup a cast iron pan at rummage sales or flee markets for very little change...it don't have to be a cast iron you can use and old paint bucket from walmart...watch the you tube video....charlie

Bruce P Bruner 11-02-2022 03:44 PM

Suggestion

Use the side burner on the outdoor BBQ. Happy wife, happy life.

Paul Harm 11-16-2022 01:27 PM

Oh, we have maybe 20 or so cast iron Pans. I had her start using them back a couple of years after we got married back in the 1960s, 63 to be exact. She just loves them. Problem is they have become expensive. They ain't a couple of bucks anymore !!!
Beat me ? I'm 6' 4" at 275, she's 5' 1" at 115, but she still beats me all the time. I sometimes have to take my Parkers and go to a SCs shoot somewhere just to escape her wrath.