Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   In honor of Queen Elizabeth II (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37294)

Richard Flanders 09-11-2022 10:39 PM

That Holland is a true work of art. What a beauty!

John Albano 09-12-2022 09:00 AM

I thought I remembered seeing pictures of the Queen holding a gun on a pheasant shoot. When I looked on google anything under that subject had a lock symbol next to it. I know that a segment of the English population is not fond of hunters, same as here. Have I had too many birthdays or was she a hunter?

Ian Civco 09-12-2022 09:12 AM

Queen Elizabeth did shoot a stag at age 19. I’m not sure if she went pheasant hunting but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Definitely one of a kind, a remarkable woman.

John Dallas 09-12-2022 09:14 AM

She loved her Labrador Retrievers. I had a picture of her handing the winner's ribbon of the 1994 National Retriever Trial to the man who bred my first Lab. Jim's winning dog became the grandmother of my dog

Ian Civco 09-12-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 371708)
She loved her Labrador Retrievers. I had a picture of her handing the winner's ribbon of the 1994 National Retriever Trial to the man who bred my first Lab. Jim's winning dog became the grandmother of my dog

Queen Elizabeth’s Labradors are at Sandringham and that’s her kennel name as well. Sandringham General is pictured in Ken Roebuck’s book.

John Albano 09-12-2022 11:28 AM

Nothing wrong with labs! I have one at my feet.

todd allen 09-12-2022 12:08 PM

I've had a couple of labs. One, Mabel, was one of the most honest loyal and hardworking dogs I've ever owned. She was so good, that I was beginning to think I was a pro dog trainer.
My GSPs have taught me otherwise.

Bob Brown 09-12-2022 02:51 PM

I think all the royal family hunted (or hunts). I recall soon after she married into the family Kate Middleton's photo was taken while she held a shotgun on a peg during a driven bird shoot. My God, by the tabloid and public reaction you'd have thought it was a pic of her torturing babies and puppies. I still think they all hunt, they just don't let photos get out.

Bob Brown 09-12-2022 04:27 PM

Queen Elizabeth II

1 Attachment(s)
Losing Queen Elizabeth II was a blow to all of the Commonwealth countries. I grew up singing God Save the Queen and reciting the Lord's Prayer every morning before classes started. Every classroom or government office had/has a portrait or picture of her on the wall. Saw her face on all the currency in Canada. She will be missed.
In the spirit of the start of this thread I'll post a picture of this one. Bear with me, it may have a tenuous connection to QE II, or at least her family. It is a 16 bore James Purdey bar in wood hammer gun, #2 of a pair, with an unusual push forward underlever completed in 1877 for the Baron A. Rothschild. It was later returned for cleaning by F.R. Knollys. I reached out to the Rothschild Archive in London to see if they could help fill in the blanks. I was surprised the archivist, Justin Cavernelis-Frost, took the time to do a bit of research and came back with this.
"If the shotgun was purchased in England, it may possibly have been Sir Anthony Nathan de Rothschild Bt. (1810-1876). Anthony’s country estate was Aston Clinton in Buckinghamshire, where he was a noted ‘countryman’ and owner of race-horses. The ‘F.E Knolly’ may have been Francis Knollys, 1st Viscount Knollys, (1837 -1924), a British courtier who in 1862, he became Secretary to the Treasurer to the Prince of Wales. In 1870, he was appointed Private Secretary to the Prince of Wales, an office he held until the Prince, Edward, became King in 1901, afterwards serving as Private Secretary to the Sovereign until 1913. The Knollys and the Rothschilds may have known each other through the management of Royal finances. However if the date is 1877, Anthony died in 1876. It is possible that the gun was ordered before his death and delivered afterwards; and thus given to Knollys as gift."

King Edward VII was Queen Elizabeth II's great grandfather. After his death in 1910 Knollys stayed on as principal secretary to the new king, King George V, until 1913. So, a mystery. Was it as the archivist thought above? Or did Knollys use his name when he returned the gun for cleaning for his King in 1905? I don't suppose they would use the Kings name if it was a gift from a banker:whistle:. I guess I'll never know. I do know it is one damn fine and well balanced grouse gun that fits me well! So, thanks to them for that.

Ian Civco 09-15-2022 08:28 AM

I can’t prove one way or another Queen Elizabeth shot pheasant or not, but she certainly shot a stag at age 19. She had no objection to pheasant shoots, however:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Internati...d=82100&page=1

If you ever get a chance, do visit Sandringham. Very impressive! At the time I went there, there were pheasants outside the main gate, and this was in June. I got a behind the scenes tour from the kennel man, Bill Meldrum, at the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandringham_House