Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Availability of 10 and 8 gauge wads and potential solution (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37894)

keavin nelson 12-02-2022 12:06 PM

Availability of 10 and 8 gauge wads and potential solution

Considering the very limited availability of 10 and 8 gauge wads in the market, a friend and I have had discussions around a potential solution, making our own. My friend has the expertise in plastic extrusion and is quite capable to set up a wad production line.

The question is what is the real demand in the market place? Is it strong enough to justify either or both of the gauges suggested and the required investment?

Just by observation at two events where there was a 8 gauge dedicated shoot, the numbers might not be there for the 8.

But the 10 is more popular given the constant presence in the matches, and may, on a national level, be viable.

I would be interested in your collective feedback that might provide insight into the demand for wads in general or more specifically what the usage rate is? :corn:

Thanks

CraigThompson 12-02-2022 01:59 PM

I got a call from BPI concerning a backorder for the Gualandi style 10 gauge wad they bought the molds and patent rights to . Anyway the guy said they should hit the market in January or February . The 8 gauge he wouldn’t address :banghead:

charlie cleveland 12-02-2022 06:39 PM

the 10 ga would do finebut the 8 ga would be slow although I would buy 8 ga wads if they were made....I use card wads for the 8 ga since I run out of 8 ga plastic wads...and I would make the 8 ga wads hold up to 2 1/2 ounce of shot for hunters....the italan wads don't hold much shot....good luck...if you follow thru....charlie

Milton C Starr 12-03-2022 05:42 AM

For the 8 gauge perhaps wads could be 3d printed, I have read most plastic wads are made from LDPE which can be bought as filament for a 3d printer. Might make more sense for small scale production compared to using molds.

Charlie Ive made my own plastic shot cups for the 8 ga I tested some over fiber wads and a few attached to a SP-8 base.

charlie cleveland 12-03-2022 08:11 AM

would like to see pictures of your home rolled wad...charlie

keavin nelson 12-03-2022 10:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback all, I had heard BPI was possibly going to do a 10, so that sounds more certain Craig. We will wait into the new year!

Milton C Starr 12-03-2022 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 376659)
would like to see pictures of your home rolled wad...charlie

I find a full length shot cup helps with the roll crimp because the overshot card sits nice and flush on top of it. Though with my 8 ga being cylinder choke I didnt see much of a difference in pattern between not using a shot cup.

Bill Murphy 12-03-2022 05:22 PM

Wow. A really nice looking shell.

charlie cleveland 12-03-2022 06:00 PM

looks good to me I bet it would shoot a better pattern in a choked gun....I will try making spa shotcup wad and shoot it out of my gun that has some choke in it....charlie

Milton C Starr 12-03-2022 11:50 PM

Charlie all you do is take a old 10 gauge hull cut it to the length you need and glue a nitro card in the bottom. According to my caliper its measure around the same as the SP-8 wad in diameter. I want to say around .820 or so, youll want to try some different slit patterns if you decided to tinker with them. I also made some shot cups from cardboard tubes as well but they were extremely hard to cut slits into.