Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recent Parker owner (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38185)

Daryll Boyd 01-04-2023 10:32 PM

Recent Parker owner

4 Attachment(s)
Hello, I am new here and wanted to see if someone wouldn't mind looking up serial # 79709? Much appreciated.

Brian Dudley 01-04-2023 10:37 PM

Wow, someone did a number to the breech of those barrels. There are ways to put a gun on face. That is not it.

Daryll Boyd 01-04-2023 10:53 PM

Can you elaborate on that? The firearm is in transit so if something is radically wrong I will return it.

Russell E. Cleary 01-04-2023 11:05 PM

Grade 2, Damascus, Hammerless action; no extras; capped pistol grip; Ten Bore; 32-inch barrels.

Breck Gorman 01-04-2023 11:46 PM

Breech border engraving has been peened with a punch.

Daryll Boyd 01-04-2023 11:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also, is this a repair on the stock? I have only found one other example that looked similar. Thank you in advance.

Russell E. Cleary 01-05-2023 12:21 AM

Daryll:

That is indeed a repair. Stock may have weakened from impact and/or seepage of oil from the mechanicals into the stock head necessitating the "pinned" stock.

Stocks can be pinned more eye-appealingly than we see here.

The two comments made thus far come from top-tier professionals in gun restoration.

Advice may come in from people more qualified than I as to what course to take with the gun.

Brian Dudley 01-05-2023 07:23 AM

I would recommend sending that gun back. Period. There is no need to put any good money into a gun with those sort of issues. Unless it is very cheap and being used for parts.
The breech face has been destroyed with a punch. The stock has been pinned and the gun has little to no finish.
I dont know what you spent on it, and you do not need to say. In my opinion, there are plenty of better guns that could be bought for likely the same money.
Fixing that issue with the breech alone would cost more than the gun would be worth.

Bill Murphy 01-05-2023 09:04 AM

The pinning of the stock head should not be done with a hatchet. Maybe that's the only tool the owner had at his disposal. I agree with Brian Dudley, you should send it back.

Harry Collins 01-05-2023 10:54 AM

I could live with the gun hadn't the barrels been peened and the purchase price was $300. Note picture two, the barrels were off face, meaning when closed there was a space between the breach and the bolsters. A cheep and less invasive method to correct is was to put a brass shim on the hinge pin. I believe the damage done could be repaired at great expense. Another point Russell (Stumpstalker) pointed out is the gun left the factory with 32" barrels. The point is mute as it is a non keeper, but if not 32" another reason to return the gun.