Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Two old guys, two old 10 Bores, 10 birds in the boat (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35045)

Pete Lester 12-21-2021 06:44 PM

Two old guys, two old 10 Bores, 10 birds in the boat

1 Attachment(s)
Scott K. and I got out together this afternoon for a blue bird day hunt on the salt water. Scott was shooting a Parker NH and I was shooting a newly acquired Harrington & Richardson D grade. I almost had to force myself to go because it has been so slow. It turned out we had a great day in what up to now has been a somewhat lack luster season. It was getting dark when we got back to the boat ramp so my picture is not ideal. The H&R is on the left, the Parker NH on the right with a pile of four geese and six ducks in the boat, a mix of Mallards and Blacks. We each needed one more Black and several times birds came cupping right in but try as we might we couldn't wish Mallards into being Blacks and shoot another.

Daryl Corona 12-21-2021 08:52 PM

Mighty fine shootin' boys.:bowdown:

Milton C Starr 12-21-2021 11:01 PM

I have to give a thumbs up for the NH 10 in itself, I seen one of those H&Rs a few months ago in pretty decent shape but sold before I could grab it.

Russell E. Cleary 12-22-2021 01:35 AM

Great story of a special day. You under-rate that photo; as still-life hunting art it approaches the sublime.

Who was the builder of that classic-looking duck-boat?

Pete Lester 12-22-2021 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 350951)
I have to give a thumbs up for the NH 10 in itself, I seen one of those H&Rs a few months ago in pretty decent shape but sold before I could grab it.

Did you see it at the Vintage Cup? That is where I picked it up.

Pete Lester 12-22-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 350954)
Great story of a special day. You under-rate that photo; as still-life hunting art it approaches the sublime.

Who was the builder of that classic-looking duck-boat?

You mean a 1974 12 foot aluminum v-hull by Mirrocraft is a classic? :)

Russell E. Cleary 12-22-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Lester (Post 350957)
You mean a 1974 12 foot aluminum v-hull by Mirrocraft is a classic? :)

Well, it is now.

Milton C Starr 12-22-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Lester (Post 350956)
Did you see it at the Vintage Cup? That is where I picked it up.

It was under the collectible guns category on GB guy wanted $1200 looked like a good buy. Weren't they built by H&R under the supervision of Westley Richard's? I didn't realize until recently WR were still building A&D actions

Pete Lester 12-22-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 350960)
Well, it is now.

Sure is, so were the two guys that were in it. :rotf:

Pete Lester 12-22-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 350961)
It was under the collectible guns category on GB guy wanted $1200 looked like a good buy. Weren't they built by H&R under the supervision of Westley Richard's? I didn't realize until recently WR were still building A&D actions

Yes from little I know WR granted a license to use the A&D hammerless design and build the guns in the Worcester MA H&R factory. It's believed that it took two years to set up the factory for the production which started circa 1883 and that Mr. Anson and Mr. Deeley were there to supervise/train. It's thought production lasted two years or little more and only 2500 to 3000 guns in 10 and 12 gauge were produced in four grades, A-D. They are not what you would expect from H&R, they are a fine gun and probably the first self cocking hammerless double built in the US. There are others on the board who know more than I, a lot of what I know about them came from the book, "Birth of the Boxlock".