Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What wads for reloading 3 inch 410 ga (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39127)

allen newell 05-04-2023 07:17 PM

What wads for reloading 3 inch 410 ga

Gents, I was able recently to buy a new Mec 600 Jr 410 ga reloaded. I plan to reload mostly 3 inch federal shells. For those of you who may be floating these federal hulls, what wad do you prefer using?

bob lyons 05-04-2023 08:45 PM

I have just started loading the 410
Federal 3” shells
I have used 3 different types of wads.
Clay buster ……..worked okay but loose fit.
Gualandi gas seal ……. work well a little more open pattern.
Gualandi Drawf 27mm Mini container……… these worked the best.
I had to use felt spacer wads on almost all of them to get them to crimp well.

I think the federal shells are terrible for reloading. I was just able to get a case of AA Winchester 2.5 “ hopefully they will work a lot better as i use them for 28 and 12.

Also used cheditte primers and tried H110 and little gun power both seem to work well.

Bob

allen newell 05-05-2023 10:44 AM

I agree on the federal shells. I also noticed that my chedite primers do not seat all the way with my new mec 600 Jr 410 reloader

bob lyons 05-05-2023 12:54 PM

Forgot to mention that the 1st time I used the federal hulls the base did not resize correctly. So the reloads got stuck in the chamber on my model 42. No issues on my O/U.
So I needed to play around with the resizer to get them to work. I would suggest you take the 42 apart and try them in the chamber before you do to many.
I was able to get a case of the 2.5 “ AA from Mutiny Machine in Texas.

Mike Koneski 05-05-2023 02:01 PM

I find the best 3" hulls for the .410 are the Fiocchi. Remington hulls work too, but not as well as the Fiocchi. I find Fiocchi crimp the best. I have to write down the wads I use and add them here later. I do find that I can seat the wads but I have to make sure I push them all the way in with a pencil because the drop tube pulls them back out.

Looked at my .410 wad supply. I load 3" with Remington SP410, BP's MG Four-Ten, Stump 36 and Stretch 36.

Stan Hillis 05-08-2023 07:03 AM

I recently reloaded 100 new Cheddite 3" hulls using Cheddite primers. I was looking for the maximum payload capacity for Precision Reloading's nickel plated shot, shooting for a full 3/4 oz. load of it in a plastic shotcup. I knew roll crimping would be necessary, and I managed to squeeze in .73 oz. Cheddite primers seat perfectly in Cheddite hulls, but are indeed tight in others.

I don't recall the specific recipe on the load but have it in the shop if anyone is interested. I've used a few on doves in modern made S X S guns, and they are quite impressive killers. I need to send five to Tom for pressure and velocity testing, but in use have seen no signs of excessive pressures.

Paul Harm 05-29-2023 10:10 AM

There's only two hulls I'll use with the 410. First by a long shot is Win, then the Rems. The Win last longer.