Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parker 20 ga GHE vintage 1937 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32594)

Charlie Diehl 02-24-2021 05:58 PM

Parker 20 ga GHE vintage 1937

I have a Parker 20 ga GHE made in 1937 equipped with a beaver tail forearm, single trigger and straight stock. The book indicates this gun was Was furnished with a single trigger however it indicates the stock was pistol grip and a splinter forearm. Judging from the metal coloration on the forearm and receiver it does not appear the forearm was an aftermarket replacement and serial numbers on all components match. Also, there is no name or “Parker Special Steel” designation stamped on the barrel rib even though Parker special steel barrels were provided with GH guns.

Since this gun was actually produced by Remington after they bought Parker could their record keeping system have been lacking or is this gun equipped with an after market barrel, beaver tail forearm and straight stock?

Dean Romig 02-24-2021 06:03 PM

Can you show us pictures of all of the Remington codes on the left barrel flat?

Charlie Diehl 02-24-2021 06:10 PM

Parker GHE

Dean, not sure how to include photos on this site but will try. Failing that would it be OK to email you photos directly to your email address if you can provide it to me?

Charlie Diehl 02-24-2021 06:30 PM

Parker GHE

Dean, I emailed the photo directly to you but am unable to determine how to send it to the Forum. Can you send it to the Forum site so others can see it?

Thanks

Pete Lester 02-24-2021 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Diehl (Post 327005)
Dean, I emailed the photo directly to you but am unable to determine how to send it to the Forum. Can you send it to the Forum site so others can see it?

Thanks

Charlie, when you are making a reply there is the dialog box, you should see a tab under it that says "Go Advanced", click on it. after clicking you will see a menu at the top, to the right of the smiley face is a paper clip, click on it and another small browser window will open. Click on choose file and select the picture from you computer, you can select up to five. Then click "upload" to the right of the files chosen.

Charlie Diehl 02-24-2021 07:01 PM

Thanks Dean, I will try it.

Charlie Diehl 02-24-2021 07:17 PM

Parker GHE

Tried to send photo but unable to do so. I have an iPad, not a computer. Could that be the reason I cannot upload it and include it on the forum?

Charlie Diehl 02-24-2021 07:37 PM

Parker GHE vintage 1937

Lacking the ability to send a photo of the left barrel flat, here is what is stamped:

Made in USA

The letters PS with a circle around the letters.

overload
Parker Gun Works
proved

Dean Romig 02-24-2021 07:53 PM

Send your pics to me Charlie and I'll post them for you.

Dean Romig 02-24-2021 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Charlie, the Remington code X F without a number following it and stamped in the left barrel flat up against the lug indicates the gun was manufactured in December of 1937 and the Parker Gun operation was in Ilion by then.

The PS in the circle (Parker Special Steel) was stamped on the right barrel flat shows me the barrels came from the Meriden inventory that went to Ilion with everything else in the purchase of the Parker Gun works.
The German cross stamped into the left barrel flat was a Remington stamp that we don't understand the meaning of.

The fact that there is no legend on the rib indicates that the rib was fitted to the barrels in Ilion in finishing the barrels/gun late in 1937.