Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ithaca SBT (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36844)

Stan Hoover 07-13-2022 10:36 AM

Ithaca SBT

1 Attachment(s)
I recently came across an early 5E Knick Silver Bird, what intrigued me about this particular one is the half pistol grip, I haven’t observed this configuration often if ever before.
I have yet to look at my catalogs, they obviously offered this, but how often do we encounter single barrel target guns in this configuration, any maker?

Stan

ED J, MORGAN 07-13-2022 11:50 AM

Great wood.

Randy G Roberts 07-13-2022 12:06 PM

There's that Ithaca wood again. Nice gun Stanley :clap:

Dave Noreen 07-13-2022 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great!! First Knick I've seen with a half-pistol grip.

My No. 4E NID 20-gauge is the only NID I've seen with the half-pistol grip --

Attachment 108360

The 1925 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog states "Full pistol or straight grip."

Attachment 108366

The 1926 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog states "Full pistol grip unless straight ordered."

The 1932 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog states "Full pistol grip unless otherwise ordered."

Joseph Sheerin 07-13-2022 01:59 PM

Wow, I really like that! Congrats!

Stan Hoover 07-13-2022 02:13 PM

Thanks Dave,

That confirms what I was thinking, I hadn't remembered seeing a Knick with half pistol grip before neither.
I really need to do some research on the original owner of this Knick, he had his name engraved on the barrel and also in the gold shield, he must have preferred the half pistol grip.

It is what I consider the somewhat rare Knick with a 34" barrel. (This was also probably requested on the order)

I do not have any NID's with the half pistol grip,

My preference is a capped pistol grip, or half pistol grip. Thankfully I'm not a fan of straight grip stocks, or then I would have to compete with many others who consider that a plus.

Stan

Bill Murphy 07-14-2022 10:23 AM

Your Knick is a great find. You can find the name of the original owner from Cody. Expensive, but the only way now that the records have been sent to Cody. It would be worth the cost. Since the name of some owner is engraved on the gun, you might consider sharing it in case one of us would recognize it.

Stan Hoover 07-14-2022 01:14 PM

Ithaca SBT

Hey Bill,

The name of the gentleman is RM Gegner, also below his name on the gold shield is

5-12-38
Xenia IL

So far I've been unable to come up with any thing thru Google, I do have a membership at Cody and will be ordering a letter

Stan

Mike Franzen 07-14-2022 05:28 PM

Beautiful gun Stan. I love the checkering. A true work of art.

Stan Hoover 07-14-2022 05:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm probably more thrilled with it since I have it in hand.

When I first noticed the gun and the half pistol grip, it caught my attention, then when I learned that the barrel was 34", I knew I was really interested:)

Do you guys with Parker, Fox, Smith, Lefever, Baker SBT guns have any with half pistol grips, I just don't remember seeing it before, maybe not a target gun feature?

Stan