Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Military display chest (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39296)

Wayne Owens 05-26-2023 07:14 PM

Military display chest

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of photos of the antique chest I just completed to display my son's collection of Air Force medals, ribbons, challenge coins, patches, etc from his nearly 24 years of service. I was very honored for him to ask me to make this chest. I found the antique chest at an auction and knew it would be the perfect fit. I will deliver it to him next month.

charlie cleveland 05-26-2023 07:57 PM

just wow.......and a master sargent......charlie

Andrew Sacco 05-26-2023 08:24 PM

Thank him for his service. Astounding work.

Randy G Roberts 05-26-2023 08:46 PM

Outstanding Wayne. A family heirloom for sure. Like Andy said, thank him for his service.

John Davis 05-30-2023 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 389367)
just wow.......and a master sargent......charlie

Chief Master Sergeant - the ninth, and highest, enlisted rank in the USAF. Just above Senior Master Sergeant. Sometimes referred to as “Chief”. By federal law, no more than 1.25% of the Air Force enlisted force may hold the rank of Chief Master Sergeant. And don’t call me sir!

Bill Murphy 05-30-2023 04:37 PM

Yup, John, in the Army, calling an enlisted man, no matter how high his rank, "Sir", would earn you a hard rap across your head. The Marines must be different, if you believe what you see in the movies. What is the real story? Are enlisted Marines addressed as "Sir"?

Craig Budgeon 06-03-2023 09:23 PM

As I was finishing my service in the army, The U.S. Army came out with the rank of command Sargent Major and had an equivalent for the the other branches of service. Referring to an enlisted man in any branch of service as "sir" is disrespectful since enlisted men work for a living.

Bill Murphy 06-04-2023 01:22 PM

The son of a good friend went into the USA as an enlisted man against my advice to go into the Warrant Officer program that would have taken advantage of his flying experience. Somehow, his personal stature prevailed and he retired as Command Sergeant Major in his unit at Fort Hood a couple of years ago. His experience in rotor wing vehicles in Viet Nam and other places would have greased the wheels to his promotion to Commissioned ranks, but somehow he avoided such supposed promotions.

Garth Gustafson 06-06-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 389583)
Yup, John, in the Army, calling an enlisted man, no matter how high his rank, "Sir", would earn you a hard rap across your head. The Marines must be different, if you believe what you see in the movies. What is the real story? Are enlisted Marines addressed as "Sir"?

Good question, so I asked my Marine son who knows this stuff. Enlisted men in the Marines are addressed by their rank. Master Sergeants would be addressed as “Master Sergeant” or “Top” for short which means Trainer of Personnel.