Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Repair of PHE and Refinish Stock - What’s our PGCA collective Philosophy? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37345)

Sean Johnson 09-16-2022 12:30 AM

Repair of PHE and Refinish Stock - What’s our PGCA collective Philosophy?

4 Attachment(s)
I posted some photos of my PHE a few months ago, and I’m thinking of sending it to Delgrego to repair the right ejector. Since about 50% of the finish is flaked off of the buttstock, what would you guys think refinishing the stock - would hurt the Value? Would you discount a stock refinished by Delgrego or hesitate to add it to your collection? I see refinished guns and hesitate strongly about buying one myself. Looking at the used market, it’s getting rare to find a really good one. This gun is really nice as it is, I’ve had it for 20 years and love it.

I hate to do anything like that because the # of original guns are shrinking.

Sean

CraigThompson 09-16-2022 12:51 AM

Try Brian Dudley first .

Donald F. Mills 09-16-2022 05:32 AM

I had an ejector repaired by Turnbull and am very pleased with it.

Steve Huffman 09-16-2022 06:30 AM

I would fix the ejector and leave the wood as is you will have to do forend also. Can't really see the wood from your pictures

Brian Dudley 09-16-2022 08:18 AM

Can you post some photos of the wood so that we can best see what shape it is in and to advise.

I would say that Delgrego would be a fine choice for ejector repair work. But to not let them touch anything cosmetic on the gun. The last wood refinish I saw out of there had a sprayed bowling alley finish on it and there was still remnants of blue painters tape stuck in the edges of the checkering. Eeek… That was also a PHE.

Joseph Sheerin 09-16-2022 09:07 AM

If the wood finish is looking rough... I guess I might be in the minority, but I see absolutely nothing wrong if you have that touched up, especially if done correctly. (One caveat, if it's a family heirloom sort of gun, then I would be reluctant to change anything if possible)

I had the stock of one of my guns redone by Brian Board at Timberluxe, and it looks the way it should. I've also seen a lot of Brian Dudley's work on here, or on FB, and it is excellent as well. As long as the gun ends up looking the way it should... I just don't see anything wrong with "tuning" it up a bit.

Now, if you go change dimensions, restocking, or altering the gun so it does not represent how it looked when it was new... That's another thing. Just my opinion though, everyone is entitled to their own.

Sean Johnson 09-16-2022 07:19 PM

Thanks I posted photos of the finish.

Chuck Bishop 09-16-2022 07:37 PM

I would refinish the butt stock with amber shellac which is what Parker used. The old shellac will come off with alcohol. Read up on how to apply shellac (French Polish) and practice on a piece of wood until you get the hang of it. You don't want the applicator to stick while applying shellac.

Chuck Bishop 09-16-2022 08:08 PM

Duplicate

bob lyons 09-19-2022 08:37 PM

Sean
I had sent VHE skeet gun to DelGrego last year to have the broken ejector fixed and also have it completely taken apart serviced and replace one of the ivory beads. The work was not inexpensive.
I got the gun back took it shooting and when I got back I took it apart for cleaning and it would not go back together. I found out that the part on the fore end did not reset itself.
Needles to say I was very disappointed I would never use them again.