Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New BP 1044 wad (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38781)

Jeff Sweeter 03-21-2023 02:37 PM

New BP 1044 wad

I received some of the new BP1044 wads a few days ago,which I am glad BP stepped up and made a wad available for the ten again.The plastic on the petals feels a little softer than the previous Pt1044 that I have a new bag of old stock to compare.Measuring the gas seal,the new wads measure several thousands smaller in diameter than the old ones and smaller yet than Remington SP10 wads I have on hand.The new wad fits OK in a new federal hull,but loose in a Cheddite or dark green Remington hulls I have.Could be a problem with powder migration.As I understand Clay Buster is making these,which I think are and have been top notch.I have in the past loaded shells that the wad didn't fit very tight and powder migration was an issue,and ended up putting a hard card wad beneath the wad to eliminate that.I had Tom Armbrust test this particular load,and it was in specs of where we wanted it,but a pain to load shells that way.I would think Clay Buster and or BP could adjust this wad possibly.Just my observations with the samples I have.Happy Reloading, Jeff.

CraigThompson 03-21-2023 03:31 PM

I ordered four bags just now thank you sir !

CraigThompson 03-30-2023 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My order just arrived , didn’t really need them but I’d been wanting to try these for a couple years .

Jeff Sweeter 03-30-2023 11:46 AM

Hi Craig, I just visited with Tom Armbrust yesterday about these.I measured the ones I got and tried them in several different brand new hulls and they fit a little loose in a couple.Powder migration might be a factor with some powders.Im going to load some up and send to him for testing,and probably place a nitro card over the powder under the wad.I have done this before and had Tom test them.He says pressure would probably be a bit higher just because of a better gas seal.Makes sense.Its one thing loading them and carry a few in your pocket verses shipping them several hundred miles for testing bouncing around in a truck for a day, powder migration could be significant.

CraigThompson 03-30-2023 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter (Post 385734)
Hi Craig, I just visited with Tom Armbrust yesterday about these.I measured the ones I got and tried them in several different brand new hulls and they fit a little loose in a couple.Powder migration might be a factor with some powders.Im going to load some up and send to him for testing,and probably place a nitro card over the powder under the wad.I have done this before and had Tom test them.He says pressure would probably be a bit higher just because of a better gas seal.Makes sense.Its one thing loading them and carry a few in your pocket verses shipping them several hundred miles for testing bouncing around in a truck for a day, powder migration could be significant.

At the moment I'm loading RST's using SP-10's for a friend , it's my intention after getting his hundred taken care of I wanna try four or five of the BPI wads in both the REM and RST hulls . My standard charge of 30 grains of SR725 shouldn't be an issue in either hull with 1 1/4 ounces of shot and a couple red beans to take up space . I had the powder migration deal with 8 gauge WIN hulls using the SP-8 wad but that was more of a matter of displaced air pushing the powder as they were being loaded . They however break targets alright and once those hulls have been fired once you can't see the powder migration so easily .

These BPI wads are more of a I wanna try them type thing . I'd wanted a few bags when they were still made by Gualandi and had them on back order at a couple places for over a year . I've got more than enough SP-10's to least me the rest of my existance I think , seems to me I now have between 6 to 7 1/2 thousand SP-10's .

Randy G Roberts 03-30-2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 385739)
I've got more than enough SP-10's to least me the rest of my existance I think , seems to me I now have between 6 to 7 1/2 thousand SP-10's .

And more on the way as I recall :)

Mike Koneski 03-30-2023 12:46 PM

I have used those PT1044 wads in the past. I had them and when I needed SP-10 wads I used them as a stop-gap until I had more SP-10s. Some of my load data for the 10 calls for the 1044 wad for some of my hunting loads so I keep them in inventory anyway. They perform just fine. I see no difference between the 1044 and the SP-10 for my usage.

CraigThompson 03-30-2023 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 385745)
And more on the way as I recall :)

No my total was including the half case from you :rotf:

CraigThompson 03-31-2023 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up the ones for a friend so I just loaded two RST’s and two REM’s using the 1044 wad . Took one extra red bean to get the crimp to suit me . I’ll try them out at home this afternoon .

CraigThompson 03-31-2023 02:17 PM

Well obviously I don’t have the lab that Armbrust had , but I just fired all four shells out of a circa 1887 with factory 26” open choked barrels and the sounded pretty much the same and the recoil was pretty much the same . :whistle: