Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Best way to cook dove first time (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17857)

Milton Starr 12-06-2015 11:01 PM

Best way to cook dove first time

Me and my oldest brother are gearing up for a heavy dove season . Thats our main quarry for this season . We've never eaten it before , so what would be the best way to prepare it ? I've had plenty of quail and its better than chicken IMHO. Is dove similar ?

Jeff Kuss 12-06-2015 11:07 PM

Dove breast wrapped in bacon and grilled on the weber is amazing.

Angel Cruz 12-07-2015 09:19 AM

All the guys that dove shoot down here say all you really eat are the breast. They just fix them up like chicken fingers and you are good to go.

John Dallas 12-07-2015 09:28 AM

Breast 'em out, pierce the breast with a knife, insert a piece of green pepper, onion or jalapeno, wrap them in bacon and LIGHTLY sear them on the BBQ. Don't overcook them

Gary Laudermilch 12-08-2015 10:20 AM

I marinate them(breast) in italian salad dressing for a day, then wrap with bacon and grill. When the bacon is crisp, they are done. Wonderful eating! Wish I had some left.

Stan Hillis 01-28-2020 07:44 PM

Don't want to be disagreeable, but IMO if you cook them this way until the bacon is crisp the dove breasts are overcooked. I really enjoy them cooked this way, but prefer the dove breasts to be pink inside. I would love to know how to get the bacon crisp without overcooking the breasts, but haven't figured out a way yet.

SRH

Dave Noreen 01-28-2020 08:20 PM

I dice up a large onion and saute' it in my skillet in a bit of olive oil. When the onion is getting a bit brown I add some finely diced garlic and cook another minute or so. I then dump in the Dove breast filets. One minute on each side (90 seconds each side for the somewhat larger Eurasian breast filets). Then dump in 3/4 cup sherry and cook for another minute. Spoon it over a bed of long grain and wild rice. Eat. :)

Brett Souder 01-29-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 291923)
Don't want to be disagreeable, but IMO if you cook them this way until the bacon is crisp the dove breasts are overcooked. I really enjoy them cooked this way, but prefer the dove breasts to be pink inside. I would love to know how to get the bacon crisp without overcooking the breasts, but haven't figured out a way yet.

SRH

I have the same problem and tried very thin sliced bacon as well as turkey bacon and both got crisp without overcooking.
-Brett

John Dallas 01-29-2020 09:00 AM

Shouldn't turkey bacon be outlawed?

Harry Collins 01-29-2020 01:33 PM

When I come in from the field I make a brine: 1-quart water mixed with 1/4 cup each kosher or any coarse salt and brown sugar, plus coriander, peppercorns. Then I breast out the birds. Back in the kitchen I rinse the breast and cut the meat off the bone and place it in the brine for 30 minutes. Once removed from the brine I pat them dry and let them rest a half hour. Then into a bole with olive oil, salt and pepper or Old Bay. Heat a cast iron skillet until smoking and add the breast and cook 1 1/2 minute a side. They will a little pink on the inside, but melt in your mouth.