Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   D2 10 Gauge Lifter: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36936)

Bruce P Bruner 07-25-2022 11:40 AM

D2 10 Gauge Lifter:

5 Attachment(s)
Won the GB LS&B auction yesterday. The price went up considerably, bidding against the “Plaid Cloth” dealer in Olathe. He stopped $25 below my last bid. Bless his soul. The 1880 Lifter isn’t a “show stopper” other than having gorgeous wood figure coupled with a skeleton butt. It’s a 30” Damascus gun built on a #3 frame with the Deeley Forend Fastener. Unstuck barrel weight of 5lbs.-14 oz. Nice barrel thickness at the muzzle. I’m looking foreword to the letter. The pistol grip cap looks like it may have been nickel plated at one time. Photos of a screenshot:

Bruce P Bruner 07-25-2022 11:41 AM

Grip cap:

1 Attachment(s)
Another:

Bruce P Bruner 07-25-2022 12:50 PM

Another:

2 Attachment(s)
Side plate and sn.

Stan Hoover 07-25-2022 01:06 PM

That looks Interesting Bruce,

looking forward to more pictures when you have it in hand.

That serial # is somewhat close to a few lifters that I currently enjoy shooting.

Stan

Brian Dudley 07-25-2022 01:34 PM

That gun is a special order for sure being a grade 2 and having a SSBP. The standard for a gun of that period would be a solid steel plate.

The steel grip cap is also very atypical for any Parker. I have only seen in on a few very high grade examples.

Bruce P Bruner 07-25-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 368425)
That gun is a special order for sure being a grade 2 and having a SSBP. The standard for a gun of that period would be a solid steel plate.

The steel grip cap is also very atypical for any Parker. I have only seen in on a few very high grade examples.

With some luck the research letter will shed some light on the build. Chuck B. has received my request.
The water table is not stamped for grade. It has the work order number and the barrel lug has the serial number and frame size.
I paid a bit too much, but considering my competition was keenly vested until the end, perhaps not.
There were 58 bids placed by fourteen participants.

Dean Romig 07-26-2022 08:05 AM

I see in the Serialization book that it is a Grade 2 but we can’t see the composite barrel pattern in the pics. Is it actually crolle Damascus or is it Laminated of some kind?

Bruce P Bruner 07-26-2022 10:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 368469)
I see in the Serialization book that it is a Grade 2 but we can’t see the composite barrel pattern in the pics. Is it actually crolle Damascus or is it Laminated of some kind?.

In the book it’s listed as a D2, Grade 2 with Damascus barrels. However, the rib roll die says? Note the “DK” by the 5-14 unstuck barrel weight and the underside barrel pattern.

Dean Romig 07-26-2022 10:13 AM

OK, we see that it is crolle Damascus, thanks Bruce.

I have no idea of the meaning of the K beside the D (for Damascus) stamp. But it could be the stamp of Charles A. King, superintendent of the gun works beginning in 1874 and your gun is an 1880 gun.

Arthur Shaffer 07-26-2022 11:28 AM

I had been bidding all along on that gun and held the bid with 30 minutes left. Then Plaid Guy came in and bid me up. I topped his bid for the lead 10 seconds before you came in and then he started bidding again. I quit at that time. He has shown a bad habit lately of bidding on less than pristine guns and then bidding up to lofty levels. Funny thing is, none that I have bid on that he won have ever turned up on his sales listings.