Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   10 Gauge Supplies TOW (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37019)

Bruce P Bruner 08-05-2022 12:39 PM

10 Gauge Supplies TOW

1 Attachment(s)
A shoutout for Track of the Wolf. I ordered:
10 gauge 2-5/8” Parker Bro’s “A” Brass Shells
9 Gauge .125” .815” diameter Nitro Card Wads
9 Gauge Overshot Cards .815” diameter
9 Gauge Fibre Wads .815” diameter
The quality of the brass hulls far exceed the Magtech I am accustomed to.
I will soon be launching fire and lead from the old Lifter.

Arthur Shaffer 08-05-2022 04:11 PM

I ordered the same boxfull about 6 months ago and was really pleased. The only thing you might consider is ordering some8 gauge overshot wads. They go in a lot tighter, and since you won't be roll or fold crimping. you may like them better. I have had the 9's kick out crooked before getting them cemented in place.

CraigThompson 08-05-2022 04:21 PM

Thats not exactly my prefferred cup of tea . But it may very well turn to that for everyone soon .

Keith Doty 08-06-2022 01:27 PM

Bruce, that looks a lot like the box that showed up at my place a few weeks ago! The hulls ARE very nice and everything I wanted was available. I've been using a 9 ga. nitro card for an OSC and hot glue to seal. Was pleasantly surprised, firing removed 99% of the glue and no special cleaning was required before loading again. I'm getting more leading than I like (any is too much?). I think my next move is to try some of the Mylar or Teflon wraps/inserts from BP.

Bruce P Bruner 08-06-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Doty (Post 369168)
I'm getting more leading than I like (any is too much?). I think my next move is to try some of the Mylar or Teflon wraps/inserts from BP.

My method of “zero leading” for the cast bullets I make is powder coating them. I believe I could powder coat a small batch of lead shot just to test the feasibility. Imagine lipstick red birdshot!
I have been cleaning the bore of the above Lifter and finally a tight fitting oil patch is coming out without much trace of color. There never was any evidence of rust, must have been spent power or lead. The stages went from red rubbing compound on tight patches to a chunk of Frontier Pad with Hoppes and oil, spun up on a slotted wooden dowel in a cordless drill with intermittent passes with a bronze brush. The moderate pitting is of course still there, but I wanted the bores to be a clean as possible this side of the dreaded “hone”.

Keith Doty 08-06-2022 03:13 PM

The Frontier pad and oil on a stick is pretty hard to beat and certainly won't hurt the bore. I like the thought of lipstick red Bismuth shot, wonder if you could add red buffer and get a red cloud outta the barrel? How much fun would that be in a duck blind?! Imagine your local Game Warden opening one of those puppies up to check your shot.

Keith Doty 08-07-2022 11:13 AM

Mylar wraps on the way as are some BPD-10 wads. I'm thinking to make a fixture to cut the wads down in length to duplicate the shot cup on an SP-10. Plan is to use a gas seal over the powder, a combination of fiber wads for correct height, then the cut down plastic shot cup. Kind of a pain but I don't see any 10 ga. wads in our near future. I shoot a few dozens of short 10s at a time not hundreds and at some point I'm going to run out of SP-10s. I'm starting on this now for future use. If we get some 10 ga. wads "back on the shelf" at some point, GREAT. If not I'll have some workable alternatives that don't leave a ton of shot glued to the insides of my barrels and the additional cleaning chores.

Bruce P Bruner 08-07-2022 12:50 PM

Loaded a dozen

1 Attachment(s)
Square load of 3 Drams of powder and 1-1/4 oz #8 shot seemed like an appropriate load for the “Short Ten”.
My rough weight conversion:
77.3 +/- grains of Fg Black Powder
497 +/- grains of #8 shot

charlie cleveland 08-07-2022 03:09 PM

those brass shells really look good.....charlie

Keith Doty 08-07-2022 04:01 PM

As my knowledge of black powder is nonexistent I just have to ask "What combination of powder and wadding is under your shot charge? OSC and sealer?