Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Case For My 16 Ga. Hammer Gun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8821)

edgarspencer 12-05-2012 08:48 AM

Case For My 16 Ga. Hammer Gun

4 Attachment(s)
Every original Parker box I've looked at has been a total relic, so I decided to make my own. I took some liberties, but since I've never seen 2 alike, I figured there wasn't any rule to go by. I made 2 of these mahogany boxes 20+ years ago, but never finished them off on the inside. The corners are box jointed, but I've never seen box joints on an original. I stole the label image off the internet just to see what it would look like, but will buy one from CSMC when I can get over there. I can't see paying $10 for them to mail me one.
The lining cloth is billiard table material, Olive green. Maybe the Hoppes bottle and tin patch can aren't period correct, but they're cute and I liked them.

charlie cleveland 12-05-2012 09:51 AM

i sure dont see nothing wrong with it..i really like it makes the gunstand out to me...you should be building these cases for all us parker boys...really great... charlie

Rick Losey 12-05-2012 10:04 AM

nice work - that really looks sharp

Gary Carmichael Sr 12-05-2012 10:08 AM

Edgar, I agree with Charlie, you need to start making some of those cases, bet you could sell a few right here, I sure would be in line! Gary

edgarspencer 12-05-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks guys. I am moderately pleased with it, but may do another one, in walnut. I see things that I'd do differently, and would use this one as a learning experience. It's an old people thing I guess, but I'm more patient than I was when I was young and knew it all. I can work in metal to 5 tenths, but in the past in wood, The best I could do was +/- 1/4" , at best. My dad was a very qualified woodworker, strictly as a hobby. I have a lot of his old tools, but my most used woodworking tools are my chainsaws and a baseball bat.

Dave Suponski 12-05-2012 12:01 PM

Edger, That case is fantastic. Very nice work. I'll take one for my hammergun. Please don,t be so modest I have seen things you've done in wood....:rolleyes:

Dennis V. Nix 12-05-2012 12:18 PM

Edgar, I agree with the other posters. That is absolutely fantastic workmanship. I wish I had your talent instead of charm and incredible good looks. I am sure some of the PGCA people would love to purchase your cases. May I suggest you make a case for next years annual raffle gun. I bet it would add to the number of tickets sold.

George M. Purtill 12-05-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis V. Nix (Post 88016)
I wish I had your talent instead of charm and incredible good looks.

Are you hinting that Egger doesn't have charm and good looks?

Dennis V. Nix 12-05-2012 02:43 PM

Nope. Only that I have the charm and good looks but wish I had his talent. Having never seen him nor anyone else on the PGCA forum I couldn't comment on anybody else's looks at all. Ha...

Dave Suponski 12-05-2012 03:47 PM

I think I'll just shut up now...:whistle:

edgarspencer 12-05-2012 03:54 PM

Dennis, I'm so ugly, when I want the dog to come in, I have to get my wife to call him.

Jim DiSpagno 12-05-2012 06:04 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just espy Michelle O LOL

John Truitt 12-05-2012 06:19 PM

Mr. Spencer,

Great case. That is just awesome. Next time we are at a shoot together ask to see the "box" I use. Some refer to it as a coffin.

Again truely a wonderful piece.

Rich Anderson 12-05-2012 08:10 PM

Edgar that is a great case but an even greater hammergun! Where did you find such a beauty and in 16ga to boot:whistle:

I think Gunner's Parker would look outstanding in just such a case.

edgarspencer 12-05-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 88090)
Edgar that is a great case but an even greater hammergun! Where did you find such a beauty and in 16ga to boot:whistle:

I think Gunner's Parker would look outstanding in just such a case.

I bought it off some old coot.:violin:

Dean Romig 12-05-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 88091)
I bought it off some old coot.:violin:

Or "Cranky Ol' B...ah...uzzard" yeah, buzzard, that's it!:rotf:

Russ Jackson 12-06-2012 08:44 AM

Hello Edgar ,Great looking Case and the Hammer gun is awesome ! Have you shot any of those B. P. Elys out of her yet ?:) How about putting me on the list for a 26", 410 Size case Oh and maybe one for the Drilling with Scope compartment etc. Oh Yeah 32" ,28" 25" ,man are you going to be busy ! :bigbye: Russ

Greg Baehman 12-06-2012 09:17 AM

Edgar, that's a wonderful period-appropriate looking case that you've created. How is it carried, is there a handle?

Rick Losey 12-06-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 88128)
Edgar, that's a wonderful period-appropriate looking case that you've created. How is it carried, is there a handle?

He has to carry it clutched to his chest so on one walks off with it.

chris dawe 12-06-2012 12:54 PM

Beautiful job Mr.Spencer !!! like myself your are your own worst critique ... but there's nothing wrong with it it keep's us honest and help's us improve.

George M. Purtill 12-06-2012 02:16 PM

I can't stand by and listen to this lovefest for Teggar's case any longer.
He told me the other day he was putting tongue oil on it. Now if thats not disgusting I dont know what is.
I am sure that is banned by PETA.
Also, did you notice how there are empty snap cap holes? Now where in the heck is he gonna get some 16 gauge vintage caps. Not at Ocean State Job Lot where he shops for tools.
And besides, if any vintage 16 gauge caps existed for sale , Angel would already have them.

Dave Suponski 12-06-2012 02:21 PM

Not to worry George...I will make him some for his case and mine.....

John Farrell 12-06-2012 03:45 PM

Toe under gun case

That's a really nice gun case and excellent fitting of the cloth covered dividers. The next one you build, think about doing a "toe under" model, which would allow about 1 1/2" of the width of the case to be narrowed. The toe fits under the muzzle end of the barrels with a flap of felt between the barrels and stock. See the attached photo.

Dave Suponski 12-06-2012 03:56 PM

Okay John, Tell us about that Miller triggered C grade.:)

John Farrell 12-06-2012 05:16 PM

Dave - that's a 236XXX VH 20 gauge with an English walnut restock done around 1980 and a Miller trigger as you identified it. The case is an Abercrombie and Fitch from the 1960 era with a long history of Nebraska sandhills bird shooting behind it. It was originally owned by C. G. "Bud" Pritchard of duck stamp fame. Since acquiring the gun and the case I've had a canvas overcase made for it along with the rest of my luggage cases.

Dave Suponski 12-06-2012 05:23 PM

Wonderful gun John. Congratulations. The C style checkering and drop point threw me. I couldn't see any engraving but I thought that just might have been the picture.

edgarspencer 12-06-2012 09:39 PM

No worries Dave, George is just upset because I bought a set of 16ga. G&H snap caps yesterday and had a set of A&F given to me today. John, I have W&C Scott cased toe under, but I don't think it's right for a hammer gun. That's a fairly common way the English guns were cased. I used to have oak & leather cases stacked up waiting for new tennants. The Reel Thing has piles of them but the days of paying a hundred pounds are long gone. Chris, I think I'd starve doing these for paying customers. I'm just too OCD.

Paul Plager 12-06-2012 11:19 PM

Edgar, you might just starve if it takes you 20 years to finish them. Your turn around time needs to be improved a little.:rotf::whistle:
In all seriousness, nice work Edgar.:clap:

edgarspencer 12-07-2012 07:30 AM

It was the nineteen years, fifty one week coffee break that chewed up all the profits

Paul Plager 12-07-2012 10:10 AM

It was the nineteen years, fifty one week coffee break that chewed up all the profits:Edgarspencer

No wonder Starbucks has a store on evry corner.:shock:

John Dallas 12-07-2012 12:51 PM

I'm presently working on a dozen cork - bodied Mallard decoys. It has taken me about 20 years to whittle the heads. Now I'll start on the bodies. They'll be brand new antiques by the time I finish them

Rick Losey 12-07-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 88268)
I'm presently working on a dozen cork - bodied Mallard decoys. It has taken me about 20 years to whittle the heads. Now I'll start on the bodies. They'll be brand new antiques by the time I finish them

bandsaw man - get a bandsaw :cheers:

must be the year for it, I have pulled two old partly finished projects out of the closet in the past month. both ones I put away after making a mistake on them, I may not be any better a craftsman than I was when I goofed up on them, but I am more experienced at fixing mistakes now.

I just have to keep them moving with out stopping the rod I just started.

John Farrell 12-07-2012 05:01 PM

For any Parker owners that think the toe under case is wisdomly (new word) purchased, Jeff's Outfitters in Cape Girardeau, MO (573-651-3200) has them in its catalog. I have several of their cases and never looked back once I purchased them. Don't get the JO overcase, however. They just don't do a nice fitting job, even on the JO products. I took my cases to a local made-in-the-garage re-upholsterer and had the overcases made from some canvas boat cover material he had lying around.

Larry Frey 12-07-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 88269)
I may not be any better a craftsman than I was when I goofed up on them, but I am more experienced at fixing mistakes now.

Rick,
Thanks for the laugh.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

That has to be the quote of the year!

George M. Purtill 12-09-2012 09:11 PM

I have been to the Mountain.......

And I have seen the case in person.

Yeahhhhhhh. Its really nice and he has all the damn do-dads to go with it.
But I liked his pair of 88 Land Rovers he just got even better.

Steve McCarty 12-14-2012 05:46 PM

Great work! I'll never try to build a case. I see some for sale for something like $2 to $300 bucks and If I wanted a new one that's what I'd buy. Trouble is if I case all of my shotguns I won't be able to cram them into the safes. So I only need one case. I take the gun from the safe, break it down and put it into an old green canvas case and it's off to the trap range.

Matt Valinsky 12-19-2012 11:03 PM

Now wait a minute, I read this thread twice to make sure. There was no mention that Edgars' gun was a 16ga. until C.O.B.'s post. So i said to myself, Self what's the deal here?

So, after much pondering (about 2 minutes), I came up with this. Either:

1. C.O.B. sold the gun to Edgar so he would know and that would make him the old Buzzard, or

2. You guys have every Parker ever made memorized and from 5 miles away can recognize the gun. Can give the grade, date of manufacture, gage, condition and a chronological list of every owner of a particular gun.

Am I close with either one?

By the way Edgar, that is a nice case.

Just having some fun guy's.

Greg Baehman 12-19-2012 11:43 PM

Matt, what's the title of this thread?

Russ Jackson 12-19-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 89896)
Matt, what's the title of this thread?

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Paul Plager 12-19-2012 11:55 PM

Matt, I think the only part of the post you missed was the title,
"Case for my 16 ga. Hammer gun"
Second, I also think you are correct about some of these guys knowing every Parker in existance, on the east coast anyway.:rotf:
You and I are the newbies in this world of Parkers, the knowledge that I have witnessed on this site sometimes scares me. We have contracted the disease of Parkers. There is no known cure. You can only subdue the symptoms by the ocasional sighting and purchase of more Parkers. I have come to the conclusion that the hunt for the next Parker is as much fun as actualy hunting with parkers.
Sit back, read, learn and enjoy the ride.:bigbye: