![]() |
Quail 2026
2 Attachment(s)
Anybody getting ready for the upcoming season? I dug out the "go to gun". Nothing pretty or graded. Just the ol 24" Sterly 16. I do have a set of 28" barrels I fit to this for dove, if seasons overlap.
|
I'd like to try 24" barrels. I always liked 26" barrels. I hunt a lot but shoot clays only a little.
Always enjoy your posts Chris. I often hunt with a Utica SW 20, 28" barrels |
Never know what the season will bring but I’ve seen a lot of birds on my place this summer.
|
Can’t wait for our season to open. I just hope our quail developed webbed feet with all the rain we’ve had.
I keep looking for the right 24” gun… |
I’m headed to grouse & woodcock camp in Vermont this morning for the weekend. I’m bringing two of my 24” guns - one is my 16 gauge Lifter and the other is my “Mrs. E. W. B.” Ithaca 20 gauge. It should be a fun time!
. |
Good luck to all for the upcoming season.
Garry, will you be back in Minnesota this fall--Elaine's photography and your essays are always looked forward to. Last winter may have wiped out the quail here, won't know until November, after I get back from the UP. |
I’m in New Hampshire to open my annual “Epic October” and the opening of grouse season here. My Dottie dog had 5 nice woodcock finds yesterday but otherwise a pretty slow day with only 1 grouse moved after 4 dogs on the ground. It’s wonderful to be back watching the dogs do what God intended for them. Brought along a 28” VHE 28 and 28” VH 20.
|
I wish everyone a prosperous bird season whether it's quail or grouse or mudbats. I am unable to hunt for a while after back surgery so I'll have to make due with your adventures, reading books, and maybe even buying a gun I have no need or business owning : )
On the subject of 24" barrels, the shortest thing I use is a 12g Franchi AL semi auto with stubby barrels and they are dandy in thick cover. Seems there are two trends and I wonder if they'll EVER reverse. One is long barrels, I've been a victim of selling short barreled guns and paying for long barreled guns (this comes from the popularity of sporting clays because while I love 32" for clays I can't bird hunt with them). Two is the dropping prices of 12g doubles. If 26-28" barrels and 12g ever rebound in price I may start moving some guns but will hang on for now. Good luck everyone! |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
I have a Parker VH 20 GA with 24” barrels. It started life with 28” barrels, according to the research letter. I like to imagine some good ol’ Kentucky boy wanted himself a fine quail gun and took those 4” off to make one! They actually did a pretty nice job shortening the barrels. It’s a dandy in tight cover, over a pointing dog!
|
Hopefully Chris the hunting will be better up near you.
We are still struggling with the effects of the drought we have suffered the fast multiple years. I m not seeing many young birds in Southern AZ. Here is some information on what is being stated my G&F as well as others. QUAIL HUNTING FORECAST 2026 - ARIZONA A BETTER YEAR FOR GAMBEL'S By Brad Trumbo It is a better year for Gambel's quail in northern Arizona, and you'll find more than lively coveys. The landscape features a mix of plateaus, canyons, and volcanic highlands, with stunning views and diverse terrain. Discover the rich cultural histories of the Hohokam, Sinagua, Hopi, and Navajo peoples. Admire the red rock formations northeast of Flagstaff. And remember the sound of a covey taking flight as Gambel's quail scatter from the shrubs in a desert wash. HABITAT CONDITIONS Extreme drought has plagued Arizona's quail populations, especially in the southern region, over the past few years. "Rainfall is about average for early August," says Zack May of the Southern Arizona Quail Forever chapter. But the longer-term effects of drought remain apparent. "Drought has been severe in southern Arizona – bad enough that some areas of the southern oak woodlands have lost a significant portion of canopy cover," says Wade Zaringo, retired small game program manager for the Arizona Game and Fish Department. "We didn't get much winter or spring rain for desert birds – Gambel's and scaled quail," says Dr. Larisa Harding, statewide small game program manager for the Arizona Game and Fish Department. "We continue to experience extreme heat and are just now getting monsoons in August, but with very warm temperatures." Fortunately, the 2026 monsoon season brought more rain and improved conditions. By August, the central and northern portions of the state were experiencing more normal conditions, while the southern region remained in dry to moderate drought conditions. "Looking at the 2026 season, it appears that conditions have been much better for Gambel's quail breeding activity and success," says Nicholas Schobinger, coordinating wildlife biologist for Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever. QUAIL NUMBERS The experts agree that 2025 was generally a poor year for Arizona quail. Gambel's quail may have been average in the northwest, but brood success across all species was poor. "Last year was the worst in many years for broods," May says. "It was odd that all three species – Gambel's, Mearns and scaled – were affected. Mearns numbers should be better than last year's, but with low adult quail carryover, populations may not reach the average." Schobinger saw much the same thing. "2025 saw a drastic decrease in juvenile survival and recruitment, with many of the birds on the ground during hunting season being adults that survived the previous season," he says. Luckily, the 2026 season looks much better. No severe weather patterns were observed or expected to affect hatch or brood-rearing success beyond the local scale, and more young birds are being seen throughout the state. "For Gambel's quail, it seems there are more chicks on the ground now than last year, and if the monsoon continues, conditions may support a second clutch among some of the breeding population," Schobinger says. May offers another positive sign. "Gambel's call counts were above average this year," he says. "The Mearns grasslands in southern Arizona have really greened up and are growing well, which gives us some optimism." OVERALL HUNTING PROSPECTS Arizona quail hunting will likely be better than in past years, but populations need more time to rebound from 2025. That said, hunters pursuing Gambel's quail in central and northwest Arizona are likely to see the most consistent success. Mearns and scaled quail numbers are expected to be below average. "I would expect Mearns to be well below average this year, but certainly improved over the last two seasons, as long as we continue to get rain and avoid extreme heat before the chicks are big enough to withstand it," Harding says. Schobinger and Zaringo agree that while conditions look good for Mearns and scaled quail heading into fall, monsoon rains drive brood-rearing conditions, and it remains difficult to make confident predictions. "Mearns are reliant on the monsoon, and it's decent this year with a good hatch," Zaringo says. "Still, it will take more good monsoon seasons and hatches for these birds to rebound." "At best, I think we'll see an average year for desert birds, with Gambel's likely showing better numbers than scaled quail," Harding says. Al Eiden, Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever's director of field delivery, shares that perspective. IF YOU GO Gambel's quail and scaled quail are likely to be near water in grassy, shrubby habitats. Scaled quail are found in the southeast corner of the state and prefer areas with patches of bare ground. Mearns are found in the oak woodlands of southern Arizona. The Arizona Game and Fish Department encourages hunters to participate in its wing collection program. Wing deposits provide valuable population demographic data that helps inform management decisions. Arizona's quail season opens Oct. 16, 2026, for Gambel's, scaled, and valley quail. Mearns season opens Dec. 4, 2026. All seasons close Feb. 7, 2027. For detailed quail hunting regulations consult the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Arizona is home to 13 species of rattlesnakes — the most of any state. Hunting after the New Year can help avoid encounters with snakes. Javelinas roam much of southern Arizona. Be aware of their presence, avoid letting your dog give chase, and keep the local veterinarian's number on hand as a safety precaution. Hunters in southern Arizona's Game Management Units 36A-C should carefully identify quail species to avoid shooting Endangered Species Act-protected masked bobwhites. |
Quote:
|
That is good to hear.
|
Quote:
We will indeed be in the Northwoods toward the end of October. Headed to the South Dakota prairie next week to try for a prairie chicken. Hoping the forecast of mid-80s is wrong. I sure hope some of your West Virginia Bobs made it through, and that your State keeps its program up. To all: have a memorable quail/bird season. |
Quote:
Good hunting, John! |
Hey Phil, if the quail are slow down your way, you could always come up and hunt the Superstition Mtn with me. Ill let you know how its looking. No dogs though, cholla everywhere, rattlers too! Ill be out there in a couple weeks.
Chris |
Quote:
I’m in the Danville area. . |
Quote:
|
We’re on opposite sides of the state.
. |
1 Attachment(s)
Things are off to a great start for us in the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, at least compared to recent years…. We are putting up many more woodcock than previous years, and the grouse flushes are very encouraging!
My English Setter, Beau, is exhausted every night, but is ready to go by morning!! |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org