Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Damascus Special Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47132)

Kenny Beach 10-01-2026 04:37 PM

Damascus Special Steel
 
I have a GH 12 ga that has a rib marked Damascus . The barrels however do not look Damascus. They look like regular steel with no lines or variations that can be seen all serial numbers on the gun are matching and all four places, including the barrels. The gun supposedly was made in 1886. Did they make our mark guns Damascus that had special steel instead for the GH model? This is my very first post. I am a new member. Don’t know all the rules yet please forgive any mistakes or lack of information just getting started thank you.

Reggie Bishop 10-01-2026 04:41 PM

Photo of the barrel flats would be helpful as well as a research letter. Could have been re-barreled, could still be Damascus disguised as fluid steel.

Dylan Rhodes 10-01-2026 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forum! Not terribly uncommon for Damascus to be blued over. If the ribs are marked Damascus this is what I suspect. Pictures would help a lot.

William Woods 10-01-2026 06:18 PM

I have a gun that has Damascus barrels that have been blued over. Not a Parker though.


Dylan beat me to it.

Dean Romig 10-01-2026 06:47 PM

Welcome to our forum!
Can you post pictures of the rib and the barrel flats that have the original factory stampings?





.

Kenny Beach 10-01-2026 07:52 PM

Damascus or Special Steel?
 
Thanks for all replies. I am doing this from my phone and not my PC which is on the way out. This is difficult to navigate the first day. I will try to upload photos when I figure out how to do so. Can all this be done with a IPhone? Do many use that method? Or IPAD? Thanks, I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it soon. Also, I am filling in the form for a letter soon.

Reggie Bishop 10-01-2026 07:55 PM

It is very easy with an IPhone!

Steve Huffman 10-01-2026 07:56 PM

Or they could be sleeved

Harold Lee Pickens 10-02-2026 06:31 AM

My guess would be that the barrels were blued.

Drew Hause 10-02-2026 08:20 AM

A blued D3 (3 iron crolle) GH. The scrolls are visible on the flats and the barrels were likely hot caustic salt blued as the barrels were etched

https://photos.smugmug.com/Damascus/...0GH%20D3-M.jpg

Put white vinegar on a soft cloth and rub the barrel and it is likely the crolle pattern will be apparent beneath the blueing

https://photos.smugmug.com/Damascus/...damascus-M.jpg

Kenny Beach 10-02-2026 12:55 PM

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

David Noble 10-02-2026 03:44 PM

Posting pictures
 
Kenny, If you will select the "New Reply" below the last active comment it will take you to a reply to thread screen.
Do not select the Quick Reply that is at the bottom, that will not allow you as much control.
From there just type in any information about your gun and the pictures you are about to upload.
To upload the pics just hit the Paper Clip icon on the top line next to the happy face icon. A new screen will appear and you will be able to navigate on your phone to your recent picture folder. Find and select one to five pictures and hit "Upload". You'll then be able to continue uploading as many pictures as you deem necessary. Once those pictures are uploaded close that window. You will then be able to see any text you have entered. Go to the bottom of that window and select"Preview" and you will be able to preview your whole post along with the pictures. If you want to make changes, scroll down to the window below the current one and make your changes there. Then select Preview again. If all looks good you press the "SUBMIT" button and you're done.

Kenny Beach 10-02-2026 05:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
GH pics. This is all I have but will be taking some more photos soon. Thanks Attachment 144177

Attachment 144178

Attachment 144179

Attachment 144180

Kenny Beach 10-02-2026 05:58 PM

GH pics. This is all I have but will be taking some more photos soon. Thanks Attachment 144177

Attachment 144178

Attachment 144179

Attachment 144180


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org