Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1886 D3 Two Barrel Set Received: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39930)

Bruce P Bruner 09-02-2023 07:41 PM

1886 D3 Two Barrel Set Received:

5 Attachment(s)
Undamaged, big sigh of relief. Unfooled with, whew! Surprisingly good condition considering it was a Frontier gun. Pictures talk better than me. Oh, tight as a tick.

Bruce P Bruner 09-02-2023 07:46 PM

Photos:

5 Attachment(s)
More:

CraigThompson 09-02-2023 07:50 PM

Very nice !

Bruce P Bruner 09-02-2023 07:56 PM

Photo:

5 Attachment(s)
One more.

Dean Romig 09-02-2023 08:45 PM

Fantastic Parker! - Does the letter address the hard rubber buttplate?

Bruce P Bruner 09-02-2023 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 394509)
Fantastic Parker! - Does the letter address the hard rubber buttplate?

Chuck B. emailed the contents of the letter that you have seen in the previous thread. The actual letter may be here, haven’t checked the mailbox.
The hard rubber buttplate looks factory fitted to me, the engraved screws are timed correctly also. The particular dog on the plate looks period correct and there is considerable wear at the top, consistent with the rest of the gun. The letter specifies LOP at 14-1/2”, that’s exactly what it measures.
The fit is flawless but it is what it is.

CraigThompson 09-02-2023 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 394510)
Chuck B. emailed the contents of the letter that you have seen in the previous thread. The actual letter may be here, haven’t checked the mailbox.
The hard rubber buttplate looks factory fitted to me, the engraved screws are timed correctly also. The particular dog on the plate looks period correct and there is considerable wear at the top, consistent with the rest of the gun. The letter specifies LOP at 14-1/2”, that’s exactly what it measures.
The fit is flawless but it is what it is.

There’s one irrefutable fact , regardless of whether the buttplate on the gun is or isn’t correct they darn sure aren’t making anymore 4 frame Parker’s !

Bruce P Bruner 09-02-2023 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It’s the luck of the draw, but my other Quality 2 10 gauge Lifter was ordered with the skeleton buttplate. There are many desirable attributes encompassing this outfit, the heart of any Parker are the bores. I just mopped them with Hoppe’s and followed with oil, the bores are what impress me the most. Smooth sailing!
Chambers measured 3” as the letter specified.

Bruce P Bruner 09-03-2023 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
“Laminated”, I like the pattern. The signature Parker “mushroom” beads. Note the wall thickness at the muzzle on the Damascus set, .091 .260 at the breech. No wonder it’s over 11 pounds.

Bruce P Bruner 09-03-2023 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The keyed lock still works.

charlie cleveland 09-03-2023 10:13 AM

who would have thought that lock would still work after all these years.....charlie

Bruce P Bruner 09-03-2023 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The key.

Bruce P Bruner 09-03-2023 11:05 AM

The case:

1 Attachment(s)
The shotgun requires only an occasional wipe down, the neglected old case is another story. Probably two schools of thought here. One would be “as found” condition versus routine cleaning and maintenance. A light cleaning and conditioning would make it at least presentable and probably add more years of actual usefulness. What are the memberships thoughts?

Gary Carmichael Sr 09-04-2023 09:52 AM

A fine gun for sure, glad it arrived OK, 4 frame at that! Gary

Bruce P Bruner 09-09-2023 10:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
25 2-7/8” brass shells slated to arrive today. One really surprising aspect is when opening the action you have to apply force to lower the barrels, it’s very tight. This applies to both sets of barrels.
I talked with a 86 year old retired saddle maker. He said to come on over, he had some bottles of leather conditioner he used 35 years ago with good results. I should be able to put some new life into the ancient gun case.
Looking forward to burning some coal soon.
Time to “Get ‘er done”.

Brian Dudley 09-11-2023 08:03 AM

What a fantastic gun!

Bruce P Bruner 09-13-2023 10:00 AM

Close up shots:

5 Attachment(s)
Viewing through the camera lens illustrates detail that cannot otherwise be seen.
I’m certain the engravers used large stationary magnifying glasses. Sunlight on the gunstock also opens windows revealing the otherwise hidden wood grain.

charlie cleveland 09-13-2023 01:35 PM

a keeper for sure......lucky catch on it being a 4 frame....charlie

Keith Sirmans 09-15-2023 12:31 PM

Too cool!

Dean Romig 09-15-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 394539)
“Laminated”, I like the pattern. The signature Parker “mushroom” beads. Note the wall thickness at the muzzle on the Damascus set, .091 .260 at the breech. No wonder it’s over 11 pounds.

My GAWD look at those chokes on the Dam set!!!

Bruce P Bruner 09-17-2023 10:57 AM

Set of Pipes:

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 395162)
My GAWD look at those chokes on the Dam set!!!

These tubes are begging for more than powder puff loads. I doubt that the original owner was interested in sporting clays. More like the wrath of a man concealed in a marsh, patiently awaiting the pending mayhem.

charlie cleveland 09-17-2023 08:49 PM

yes i too think she was built more for heavy loads than powder puff loads.......charlie

Bruce P Bruner 09-26-2023 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After a clean, conditioning and a polishing with lambs wool the old leather case is reasonably presentable. It still retains the stains, burns and scuffs from a long hard life. Rusty, the retired saddle maker will have the straps done using the original brass buckles. They had previously been repaired and were beyond help.
Still contemplating the absent brass plaque, may have had the owners name.

Mike Koneski 09-30-2023 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 395229)
These tubes are begging for more than powder puff loads. I doubt that the original owner was interested in sporting clays. More like the wrath of a man concealed in a marsh, patiently awaiting the pending mayhem.

And my favorite movie comes to mind....

Gary Carmichael Sr 09-30-2023 06:32 PM

Bruce a fine Parker indeed! Gary

CraigThompson 09-30-2023 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 395229)

I think you may very well be correct ! And again the time worn phrase “if it were mine” I’d have it out patterning my handloaded #1 and #0 buckshot loads at about thirty yards from both barrels . Might even go so far as ordering a single cavity round ball mold from Tanner in the UK that was cut within a couple thousandths of the tightest barrel at the muzzle . That reminds me I have a Grade 3 top lever four frame 10 that’s never killed anything :whistle:

Bruce P Bruner 09-30-2023 06:57 PM

re: Craig

1 Attachment(s)
Going to learn to dance with my new partner using #8 shot.

CraigThompson 09-30-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 396032)
Going to learn to dance with my new partner using #8 shot.

I keep close to two flats of 10 gauge bird/clays loads in my truck most of the time . 1 1/8 as well as 1 1/4 there might even be two or three boxes of ounce as well , but all of them are 7 1/2’s . Do have my new to me speed bag sitting at the front door with about three boxes of 1 1/4 #6’s for the first tower shoot at Prospect Hall in October .

CraigThompson 10-01-2023 02:58 PM

Bruce I just ordered a pair of roundball molds one at .735” and the other at .775” . The smaller for my tight choked barrels and the other for the pair of factory open choked Parker’s . These molds are brass single cavity without sprue cutters . But it’s quite easy to trim the sprue with a pair of dyke’s (side cutters) . Www.ballmoulds.com , the pair of molds were about 100 pounds sterling which is about $130 .

Bruce P Bruner 10-01-2023 03:31 PM

Ball Guns:

2 Attachment(s)
I’m happy you enjoy shooting “ball” with your shotguns. I shoot shotguns with shot (plural). Many of my English doubles are stamped “Not for Ball”.
When I use “Ball” these .54’s are sufficient and effective. One is a 34-1/2” custom barrel that requires a long stick. I’m certain rifled barrels are more accurate with “ball” than smooth bores. I too enjoy casting bullets and balls.
As long as you are having safe fun, shoot them shotguns.

CraigThompson 10-01-2023 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 396068)
I’m happy you enjoy shooting “ball” with your shotguns. I shoot shotguns with shot (plural). Many of my English doubles are stamped “Not for Ball”.
When I use “Ball” these .54’s are sufficient and effective. One is a 34-1/2” custom barrel. I’m certain rifled barrels are more accurate with “ball” than smooth bores. I too enjoy casting bullets and balls.
As long as you are having safe fun, shoot them shotguns.

I have a circa 1881 W&C Scott back action crystal indicator 10 gauge that’s marked not for ball on the under side of both barrels also had a WW Greener fluid steel 10 with the safety on the side that was also marked the same .

Bruce P Bruner 10-10-2023 11:11 AM

Accoutrements

6 Attachment(s)
Sourced a few accessories. My good friend David Boyles gifted me a Parker Bros powder measure, I reciprocated with my BGI measure. Capacity of 5 drams, must be for the huge 8 gauges. Ten gauge loading tools are certainly more scarce than 12’s. I have already used the James Dixon wad tool, it has internal petals to compress and center the wads. It works really well, much more efficient than using your thumb. It’s very long, you could load a 5” shell if there was such a thing. Perhaps the length is for stacking all the wads at once and compressing them in the hull at the same time.
When I was conditioning and buffing the old carriage case (again) I found the patent on the lock, “Mar. 69”.
I sourced a PB “Kelsey’s Patent” cartridge capper with most of the bronze finish remaining, it should be here pretty soon. Those were quite expensive back then, you could have purchased a decent hardware store shotgun with that much money. Pretty pricey today, though I did get a very fair price.
Jason is off to the Flat Tops Wilderness for his annual elk hunt. He left early this morning in the dark. He’s setting up camp four days early, catching fish is still a requirement.

charlie cleveland 10-10-2023 07:10 PM

nice items and they are usefull.......... charlie

todd allen 10-19-2023 10:03 PM

Bruce, I've hunted the Flat Tops a few times. Sometimes elk, other times blue grouse. 10,000 feet + elevation.

Bruce P Bruner 10-19-2023 10:49 PM

re: Todd

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 397013)
Bruce, I've hunted the Flat Tops a few times. Sometimes elk, other times blue grouse. 10,000 feet + elevation.

I was successful 3 years in a row. They make excellent table fare. I’ve pretty much hung it up but still thinking about going again for the early muzzle loading season. At 69 years of age the elevation is pretty hard to take, on top of the miles of rugged terrain.

Larry Stauch 11-04-2023 09:07 AM

Beautiful Hammer gun

Bruce I don't know how to thank you for storing my future shotguns in your safes.:)

Bruce P Bruner 11-04-2023 09:17 AM

re:

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Stauch (Post 398028)
Bruce I don't know how to thank you for storing my future shotguns in your safes.:)

Larry, the storage fees are modest and can be negotiated.

William Woods 12-02-2023 12:07 PM

Imagine how proud the first owner of this shotgun and case was when he received it. The pride of showing and using it among his friends.

I love these old guns.