Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Q1 vs IC in 28 Ga (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21886)

Stephen Hodges 07-17-2017 08:50 AM

Q1 vs IC in 28 Ga

I have a question on how Q1 in a parker reproduction 28 gauge compares measurement wise to the IC choke? Is it tighter or more open? Thanks, Steve

Dean Romig 07-17-2017 09:00 AM

Steve, with a ckoke gauge capable of measuring i.d. of the choke in thousandths as far in as a few inches, you will probable find the difference between those two chokes as little as a few thousandths. Q1 being about the equivalent of Skeet Out or Skeet 1... Certainly not enough to make one whit of a difference in the field.

Greg Baehman 07-17-2017 09:34 AM

Dean is correct. I have a couple of 28-ga Repros, the Q1 choke has .004" constriction and the IC choke has .006" constriction.

Rich Anderson 07-17-2017 09:35 AM

I don't know why the reproductions used the terminology of Q1 & Q2 when as Dean said they are for all intent and purposes the same as skeet in and skeet out. Those are my favorite upland chokes. I have a VHE 28 with 28 inch barrels marked SKT in SKT out.

Greg Baehman 07-17-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 221807)
I don't know why the reproductions used the terminology of Q1 & Q2 when as Dean said they are for all intent and purposes the same as skeet in and skeet out. Those are my favorite upland chokes. I have a VHE 28 with 28 inch barrels marked SKT in SKT out.

It's a little thing called marketing appeal.

Rich Anderson 07-17-2017 09:50 AM

Rich Anderson 07-17-2017 09:58 AM

The reproductions are supposed to be true to the original guns therefore marketing goes out the window IMHO in favor of the original SKT in SKT out:rotf:

Dean Romig 07-17-2017 10:31 AM

The nomenclature of "Q1" & "Q2" were coined by Mr Skeuese Sr. just as a little gimmick to create interest in these guns among the bird shooting community. IMO, no harm - no foul.

Larry Frey 07-17-2017 10:48 AM

For grouse and woodcock skeet chokes would be perfect. My VH 28 is one of only five made with 27" barrels but has mod/full chokes. Even though the gun lacks condition I can't bring myself to alter the barrels. The first year I used it in New Brunswick everything I shot at dropped like a rock but was pretty much unedible. Last year I used spreaders and the birds were in better shape but for little birds at closer ranges open chokes are best.

Dean Romig 07-17-2017 11:01 AM

I did extremely well on grouse with my (former) Repro 28 that had IC/MOD chokes, killing a few at forty yards with the rear trigger.

Eric Eis 07-17-2017 11:12 AM

With my Repro 28 ga single trigger gun, the 28" barrels are mod/F so I put a spreader in the left barrel and switch the trigger to fire the full choke barrel first which is about an imp cyl to light mod.

Greg Baehman 07-17-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Frey (Post 221813)
For grouse and woodcock skeet chokes would be perfect. My VH 28 is one of only five made with 27" barrels but has mod/full chokes. Even though the gun lacks condition I can't bring myself to alter the barrels. The first year I used it in New Brunswick everything I shot at dropped like a rock but was pretty much unedible. Last year I used spreaders and the birds were in better shape but for little birds at closer ranges open chokes are best.

Sounds to me Larry you ought to be on the hunt for a 28-ga. Repro choked Q1/Q2, eh? :)

Rich Anderson 07-17-2017 11:20 AM

I like the skeet choking for almost all my upland hunting. Over a pointing dog they are perfect even for pheasant. Another choke combination I have come to appreciate is IC/F. I bought a DH 16 with 26 inch barrels choked this way and was skeptical at first but have come to appreciate them. My Lefever 16 is also choked this way, a search of the shell supply revealed four boxes of 16ga spreaders so I'll give them a try this fall.

Pat Dugan 07-18-2017 12:45 AM

I dont see why there is so much reluctance to
Changing the mod and full chokes to something more
Usable. I have 3, 28 gauge repros and i have changed the chokes to skeet and improved cylinder on the 28 in barrels and have never looked back. Most of my use
Is for skeet and quail and the only negative is shooting
Skeet with such a light gun, you really have to concentrate..fooling with spreaders is too much trouble
Shooting skeet

Rich Anderson 07-18-2017 08:34 AM

Changing the chokes on a repo is one thing but opening them up on an original Parker such as Larry's small bore is quite another thing:nono:

Eric Eis 07-18-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Dugan (Post 221867)
Usable. I have 3, 28 gauge repros and i have changed the chokes to skeet and improved cylinder on the 28 in barrels and have never looked back. Most of my use
Skeet with such a light gun, you really have to concentrate..fooling with spreaders is too much trouble
Shooting skeet

Pat, I was talking about hunting with the gun, not shooting 25 clays in fifteen minutes shooting skeet. Shooting skeet I to would say no to spreaders, for hunting it works great for me. Your mileage may vary. :corn:

Greg Baehman 07-18-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 221875)
Changing the chokes on a repo is one thing but opening them up on an original Parker such as Larry's small bore is quite another thing:nono:

There are some that might consider that an elitist comment.

Dean Romig 07-18-2017 10:22 AM

Anderson an "elitist"????:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Larry Frey 07-18-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Dugan (Post 221867)
Shooting skeet

Pat,
I just can't justify altering an original gun when as Greg says It's an opportunity to buy another gun with the desired chokes.

As far as spreaders being too much trouble, UPS drops them off, I put them in the chambers and pull the trigger. No trouble what so ever.:)

Scot Cardillo 07-18-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Frey (Post 221887)
Pat,
UPS drops them off, I put them in the chambers and pull the trigger.

:rotf:

I’ve used spreaders successfully on game using a PR but, can’t recall having ever printed patterns on paper with PR barrels. Has anybody patterned spreaders using either IC/MOD or MOD/FULL chokes common to Reproduction barrels? (i.e.; PR barrels specifically)

*I did pattern a tightly choked German double using Spred-R’s at approximately 16 yds. A turkey woulda’ been able to fly through the gaps!

Rich Anderson 07-18-2017 03:11 PM

I shot a 5 stand round with RST 20ga spreaders in a Boss hammer gun which is tightly choked. They worked fine and maybe I broke some I wouldn't have otherwise. I have never hunted using them but that will change this fall as I have 2 16's that are choked IC/F.

I don't see why spreaders would be hard to fool with like Larry said just drop then in.

Me an elitest:eek: That's the funniest thing I've heard today (then again I haven't been out much today) I just believe that with todays loads we don't need to open the chokes on a fine old gun be it a Parker, Fox, Lefever or Smith. Would you take a Pre64 M70 in say 257 Roberts and rechamber it to say 257 Weatherby or a 270?

Kirk Potter 07-18-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo (Post 221896)
:rotf:

I’ve used spreaders successfully on game using a PR but, can’t recall having ever printed patterns on paper with PR barrels. Has anybody patterned spreaders using either IC/MOD or MOD/FULL chokes common to Reproduction barrels? (i.e.; PR barrels specifically)

*I did pattern a tightly choked German double using Spred-R’s at approximately 16 yds. A turkey woulda’ been able to fly through the gaps!

I have some RST 2.5" 7.5 lite and some 2.5" 7.5 spreader lite, I might do that next time I get out to shoot.

I've had no problems hunting with them.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture...pictureid=8795