Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   George Bird Evans Purdey & A H Fox 12 gauges (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41470)

Ian Civco 03-18-2024 12:20 AM

George Bird Evans Purdey & A H Fox 12 gauges

Does anyone know what happened to these upon George’s passing in 1998.

Purdey serial number 21390 (1915)

A H Fox, purchased in 1927 for $42.50 (1927 or before), unknown serial number (does anyone know this serial number?)

Rick Losey 03-18-2024 08:42 AM

the guns went to members of the Old Hemlock family - I can only speak to the journey of the Purdey after that but I think both the Fox and his last gun - a little AYA were passed along as well.

GBE had made a lot of alterations to the Purdey stock due to his rotator cuff injuries late in life and lack of mobility and it was nicely restored - I have handled it since the restoration and it looked nearly as good as new. it has changed hand a couple times since his passing, and it been a few years now since I have been back to Old Hemlock and the reunions, but the Purdey was still cared for the last I saw it

Dean Romig 03-18-2024 09:00 AM

Do we know if both or only one of Dr. Norris' Purdeys were bequeathed to GBE? And if only one went to him, do we know what happened to the other?

Rick Losey 03-18-2024 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 407583)
Do we know if both or only one of Dr. Norris' Purdeys were bequeathed to GBE? And if only one went to him, do we know what happened to the other?

At Dr Norris’ passing George was offered his choice of one of three guns, There were, if I remember correctly (I’ll check later). Two Purdeys and a Churchill

He chose the “little Purdey” two barrel set

The remaining guns stayed with the Norris family and I have no idea whether they were kept or sold

Dave Noreen 03-18-2024 10:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

A H Fox, purchased in 1927 for $42.50 (1927 or before), unknown serial number (does anyone know this serial number?)
The price of a Sterlingworth dropped to $36.50 in 1926 when the Godshalks moved the A.H. Fox Gun Co. into the new, more efficient, factory.

Attachment 124456

Attachment 124454

Attachment 124455

Attachment 124457

That remained the price until June 21, 1932, when Savage upped the price to #39.50.

Rick Losey 03-18-2024 10:30 AM

and he traded in his 20ga Sterlingworth as part of the deal

Bill Murphy 03-18-2024 01:38 PM

Norris' other Purdey, his woodcock gun, was discussed on forums lately. It was sold in Maryland several years ago and is "in the wind". The seller, the consignee and probably the buyer, did not know the provenance.

Dean Romig 03-18-2024 03:38 PM

Do we know the serial number of Norris’ “woodcock gun” Purdey?

Bill Murphy 03-19-2024 07:44 AM

It was never discussed in Norris's or GBE's books. I discussed this gun with Dean when I found it. Unfortunately, it got away from me and, as far as I know, it is in the wind at this time.

Bill Murphy 03-19-2024 04:30 PM

Dean and I probably discussed this gun too long. I decided to bite the bullet after our conversations, but unfortunately it was sold. I don't know the source of the GBE gun being described as "the little Purdey" because it was a horse compared to the woodcock gun. The missing woodcock gun would be correctly described as "the little Purdey".

Rick Losey 03-19-2024 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 407669)
I don't know the source of the GBE gun being described as "the little Purdey" because it was a horse compared to the woodcock gun. The missing woodcock gun would be correctly described as "the little Purdey".

I merely used the phase because it is how GBE referred to it himself- I'll need to get out Dr. Norris' books to see what he referred to as his "woodcock gun"

Bill Murphy 03-20-2024 07:13 AM

Thanks, but the gun itself is, as I said, a horse compared to the other Purdey.

Dave Noreen 03-20-2024 10:25 AM

In The Upland Shooting Life, on page 278, GBE discusses the 27-inch barrel Purdey Woodcock gun, then quotes Dr. Norris "The little Purdey and the Churchill here," Dr. Norris laid his hand on the other two cases, "were left to me by an old friend, Lynford Biddle. ..."

So, Dr. Norris called the two-barrel set "the Little Purdey."

On pages 279 & 280 GBE states it weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces and goes on to describe his sanding down the comb and the face side of the stock and fitting a recoil pad to get the gun to fit him and having the chambers lengthened to 2 3/4-inch!!

Dean Romig 03-20-2024 10:41 AM

I wonder what the weight of the Woodcock Gun is/was?

Bill Murphy 03-20-2024 10:53 AM

I'll let you know when I find it. I won't let it get away next time.

Ian Civco 03-20-2024 11:06 AM

Serial number and perhaps a previous auction listing of this shotgun?

Rick Losey 03-20-2024 11:40 AM

Thanks Dave

As I said, I’ve been around the “little Purdey”

And I’ve been around horses :rotf::rotf::rotf:

No comparison

Bill Murphy 03-20-2024 01:09 PM

As I recall, Biddle may have been mentioned in the Purdey letter or email they sent me. I'll bet that letter is in this house somewhere.

Dave Noreen 03-20-2024 02:01 PM

GBE also states on page 279 that the "Little Purdey" has the third fastener and side clips. Can't really confirm from the photos in the book. I would generally associate those features with a heavier Pigeon or waterfowl gun?

Rick Losey 03-20-2024 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 407725)
GBE also states on page 279 that the "Little Purdey" has the third fastener and side clips. Can't really confirm from the photos in the book. I would generally associate those features with a heavier Pigeon or waterfowl gun?

I believe he does mention needing to lightly stone a side clip to seat the barrels after OH Briar (i think that's the right dog) knocked it off a table

I do have side clips on a nice light Sauer, so not unheard of on a light gun

Bill Murphy 03-21-2024 03:50 AM

Nor on a Purdey. Why are we debating the terminology used on two guns many decades ago? Who cares?

Bill Murphy 03-22-2024 05:06 PM

So, Rick, apparently from the reference in Norris's book, GBE was given the choice of one of the Purdeys, not a choice of a Purdey or the Churchill. As I recall, either the email or letter from Purdeys or a note in the case of the Woodcock Gun mentioned that (maybe) Biddle had stocked the gun. I never subscribed to that notion.

Rick Losey 03-23-2024 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill - working off memory on this, but I'll get the books out and verify with notations

Its a good day to do it - I think this morning we have the most snow on the ground of this winter (and its spring :banghead:)

I don't remember Dr. Norris' book referencing GBE. I thought that tome was written before they met -
-
there are references to all three guns with some history of them in one of GBE's books.

After Dr Norris passed, GBE went to Fairhill to meet with Dr Norris' son. And if memory serves, the three guns were laid out in Dr Norris' study and the younger Norris said to GBE that he was to have his choice, if so = all three were in play - he made a comment on the amount of oil the elder Norris used - GBE left with the two barrel Purdey and Dr Norris' unfinished manuscript for another book.

more later

correction - seems he only had the choice of the one Purdey or the Churchill

Bill Murphy 03-23-2024 10:14 AM

It's really great to have someone besides me who is interested in the Doctor and his guns. I thought I had Norris' book in my library, but I can't find it.

Rick Losey 03-23-2024 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll get it out in a bit - going through the Evans books that I know reference Dr Norris and his guns - both the "little Purday and the Churchill were passed TO Dr, Norris - I know there is a reference along the lines of he didn't know why the Churchill was ordered as a boxlock

Rick Losey 03-23-2024 01:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more on the three "London guns" I see his reference to the Purdey he ordered as being for woodcock I wonder if that one went to Dr. Norris' sister's family She lived on a large southern plantation and corresponded with GBE about the unfinished manuscript - maybe a shooting family

Dean Romig 03-23-2024 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 407859)
It's really great to have someone besides me who is interested in the Doctor and his guns. I thought I had Norris' book in my library, but I can't find it.

“Eastern Upland Shooting” is the Title of Dr. Norris’ book.

Ian Civco 03-23-2024 10:52 PM

Dr Norris’ other Purdey—

It’s described in the preface of Eastern Upland Shooting, as written in 1989 by George Bird Evans. It was serial number 25383. It’s odyssey from 1961 to 1989 is described on page 11 of this book.

Tom Jay 03-24-2024 05:45 PM

My father bought the 2nd C.C. Norris Purdey in the late 1980’s from a United airlines pilot. Can’t remember the serial number. It was not a “woodcock” gun but choked IC/M with 27” barrels. I was the one Bill Murphy mentioned who sold the gun in Maryland. It was sold to Albright’s Gun Shop in Easton, MD in the early 2000’s and from what I understand, was sold again quickly. With the gun a signed copy of C.C. Norris’s book was included along with the Purdey histories letter. I do remember the gun being manufactured in 1927.

Bill Murphy 03-25-2024 04:01 PM

Tom, I realized that you had once owned the gun. I would like to find the gun but know that it it a hard search. Thanks so much for posting.

Mike Koneski 03-30-2024 12:25 PM

GBE's original Purdey was bequeathed to acquaintances of ours from upstate NY who used to have Old Hemlock Setters. If I remember correctly the wife was a nurse who was with GBE when he passed away. Haven't seen them in at least 8 years so I do not know if they still have that gun.

Rick Losey 03-30-2024 02:56 PM

the time i got to handle it, I believe the Purdey was changing hands to the second post GBE owner. Or at least after it’s restoration

Richard Saloom 03-31-2024 11:36 AM

Would anyone know the specifications for GBE's Fox Sterlingworth--Barrel length, weight and such. One site indicates it was an ejector gun--if I am reading the information here correctly, it is most likely an extractor. Any ideas?

Garry L Gordon 03-31-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Saloom (Post 408313)
Would anyone know the specifications for GBE's Fox Sterlingworth--Barrel length, weight and such. One site indicates it was an ejector gun--if I am reading the information here correctly, it is most likely an extractor. Any ideas?

He had his Fox restocked. He describes it in one of his books.

Richard Saloom 03-31-2024 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 408316)
He had his Fox restocked. He describes it in one of his books.

I remember IIRC in one book, him saying he had it restocked by a Pennsylvania stock maker. Don’t remember it going into much more detail. Wanted a little more specifics. He has so many different books to search—would be interesting reading.